The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

motornut 01-27-2015 10:27 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7021358)
at this point I hit a Mechanics High, I had to keep going I had to see the carb on there tonight...

so first the studs went in...

then the split down the middle carb base gasket...

then the crown jewel... the Holley Carburetor

Looks great up there

68Timber 01-27-2015 10:48 AM

Nice work! Am I the only one that still geeks a little when the shiny new parts are bolted on but intake gasket peeks out in the middle like its giving you the finger?

LSX408 01-27-2015 11:26 AM

Looks good!

bnoon 01-27-2015 12:08 PM

I need to hire you to clean my stuff. If I ever get rich like Jay Leno, you have a job cleaning my rides!!! Purdy parts don't make it run any better, but they sure are nice to look at. :lol:

Gregski 01-27-2015 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUISER (Post 7021611)
Nice work! Am I the only one that still geeks a little when the shiny new parts are bolted on but intake gasket peeks out in the middle like its giving you the finger?

Yes the new manifold is narrower in the mid section, so the blue gasket does peak out and it bugs me to no end, I may not have gotten the gasket that Weiand recommends, but then again AutoZone may not have had that one in stock anyway, maybe I will get the right one when I swap the heads

Gregski 01-27-2015 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSX408 (Post 7021648)
Looks good!

Thank you

Gregski 01-27-2015 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnoon (Post 7021699)
I need to hire you to clean my stuff. If I ever get rich like Jay Leno, you have a job cleaning my rides!!! Purdy parts don't make it run any better, but they sure are nice to look at. :lol:

Thank you very much I take that as a complement, but no way, LOL I don't like cleaning trust me, the end result I do appreciate but not the doing it part

rusty76 01-27-2015 06:02 PM

Awesome work!

68Timber 01-27-2015 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7022055)
Yes the new manifold is narrower in the mid section, so the blue gasket does peak out and it bugs me to no end, I may not have gotten the gasket that Weiand recommends, but then again AutoZone may not have had that one in stock anyway, maybe I will get the right one when I swap the heads

I didn't mean it was your fault. I've got one to paint and mount, with the same gaskets. I'm sure it'll do the same thing.

y5mgisi 01-27-2015 07:57 PM

Maybe you could just trim it up with some careful razor blade action.

Gregski 01-28-2015 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUISER (Post 7022264)
I didn't mean it was your fault.

No worries mate I didn't take it like that at all, I knew what you meant

Gregski 01-28-2015 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7022307)
Maybe you could just trim it up with some careful razor blade action.

Thought has crossed my mind but then I thought what if the edges of that design have some special powers and hold it all together, so I best not

Gregski 01-28-2015 01:57 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - More Parts

4 Attachment(s)
ah... nothing like coming home to find more new parts waiting on you, thank you Mr. Summit - talk about instant motivation

wanted to share their packaging with you cause it reminds me of when we were young and would buy a pair of earrings for the ol' lady and put the jewelry box in a shoe box and the shoe box in a bigger box, know what I mean

Gregski 01-28-2015 02:06 AM

4 Attachment(s)
so this is proving to be a journey of many steps, goes to show this is no 30 minute swap

I started out by cleaning the old heater hose inlet tube fitting only to punt and buy a shinny new one cause the old one was too pitted

Gregski 01-28-2015 02:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
then I plugged a few holes with the provided pipe plugs, I recon these were for some type of sensors

Gregski 01-28-2015 02:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
remember a while back when I went a bit crazy and deleted all the Emission Control Systems, but I left the second water temp sensor in, well it just so happened that the new intake manifold came with a pipe plug just the perfect size to delete that sensor and since I already drained the coolant and wasn't planning on draining it again anytime in the near future I decided now was a good time as any to get rid of it

I am one of them people that I can't just say eh leave it in it's not plugged in it's not doing anything, it doesn't leak, just leave it ~ no not me, it bugs me I don't want it there if it's not doing anything, know what I mean

Gregski 01-28-2015 02:25 AM

3 Attachment(s)
remember months ago when one of the first things I did was clean and paint the orange valve covers black, well one of the things I did back then was special order some Mr. Gasket black rubber gaskets, cause I did not want those cheap cork ones, no, not me, I was Too Cool For School

Well guess what?

They leaked like a sieve!

Gregski 01-28-2015 02:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)
well I'm not too proud to admit it that this was not the first time I was bitten by Form Over Function

now I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with the Mr Gasket gaskets, I think they just don't fit my valve covers properly that's all, they may fit other types very well

So I swallowed my pride and bought the cheapie dime a dozen trusty cork gaskets (probably for a third of the cost) and oh my God they fit perfectly, amazing and snug

Gregski 01-28-2015 02:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now riddle me this. Why on God's green earth do we wipe down the old bits like these gaskets and hang them up on our garage walls for later use?

Will there be a day when we say, hmm the truck is running awesome but those exhaust manifolds are running a bit dry, and I've got just the fix for that, I need some leaking valve cover gaskets and I know just the place where I hung them up!

Gregski 01-28-2015 02:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
at some point I dropped the distributor back in and wired the leads

1 - 8 - 4 - 3 - 6 - 5 - 7 - 2

... I hope

Gregski 01-28-2015 02:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
plummed the PCV to the carburetor (temporarily at least not too fond of that 10 foot hose, LOL) wish the carb nipples were not angled the opposite direction, hey the joys of after market parts

Gregski 01-28-2015 02:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)
cleaned and plumbed the heater hoses, tried to take them off the heater but didn't want to sacrifice them by splitting the ends length wise with a cutting blade to get them off the heater and I didn't want to snap the fittings not knowing if they are metal or plastic or how fragile

now that I look closely I see that I missed a spot on one of the hoses to the right end, man that is going to bug me tonight, I'll touch it up tomorrow, LOL

Gregski 01-28-2015 02:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I try to stay organized, I even bag and tag the extra bits

Gregski 01-28-2015 02:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
found the numbers on the block

Gregski 01-28-2015 03:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ok, I got some issues / questions

First, the Evap 1/4 inch hose that runs from the charcoal canister to the nipple on the base of the carb is too big. In other words the nipple on the carb is smaller than 1/4 inch, what should I do?