The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 10-04-2016 05:40 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

3 Attachment(s)
this time I just got the Fel-Pro head gaskets, this is the passenger side old and new compared

Gregski 10-04-2016 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm just reusing the old head bolts these aint no turkey to yield ones I don't think, I just lubed them up with the white thread stuff and called it good

Gregski 10-05-2016 02:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
so popped on the passenger side head and torqued her down to 65 foot pounds in three go arounds 30 - 45 - 65

Gregski 10-05-2016 02:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
driver side headbolts

Gregski 10-05-2016 02:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
driver side head gasket, these go on dry

Gregski 10-05-2016 02:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
went to torque down the driver side cylinder head and encounter a bit of a set back...

Gregski 10-05-2016 02:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My trusy Craftsman torque wrench decided to give up the ghost after 20 years

Gregski 10-05-2016 02:34 AM

4 Attachment(s)
so I went to Sears I mean its a Craftsman they should replace it right? Wrong, they only replace torque wrenches for 1 year and if you have the receipt, now I sure hope the new one I bought for $75 bucks from them don't break in the first year, but it is made in China so you never know

Gregski 10-05-2016 02:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
so this is how I adjust the valves, I like this method because you do half than you rotate the engine once and do the other half

so put the #1 cylinder at top dead center and do the following valves

notice you are not touching #6 at all

Gregski 10-05-2016 02:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
then you spin the engine once to #6 top dead center and you do the remaining valves (the blue side of the white board)

you do not touch #1 this time

Gregski 10-05-2016 02:45 AM

5 Attachment(s)
the intake manifold was up next, I honestly dread this part as I hate gooping the China Walls and making sure I lower the intake manifold properly aligned on to all that mess

so here I spray one side of the gasket with adhesive and let it set for a bit

Gregski 10-05-2016 02:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
hey remember these? I never finished building up the flanges on the driver header, so here we go

got too dark outside to take a pic of the finished product

Gregski 10-05-2016 02:48 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Ah yes, the Troublesome Twins

it ain't pretty but it just might could work

Gregski 10-05-2016 02:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
slipping the new Mr. Gasket crush gasket on the passenger side

Gregski 10-05-2016 02:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
slipping the crush Mr. Gasket gasket on the driver side

Gregski 10-05-2016 02:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this time I set the engine on top dead center for #1 as I was assembling it that made dropping in the dizzy that much easier

Gregski 10-05-2016 02:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
carb goes back on along with the radiator and water pump hoses

Gregski 10-05-2016 02:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
fluids going in - you know that's a good sign

Gregski 10-05-2016 02:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
AND ALL BACK TOGETHER IN 72 HOURS!!!

but didn't get to start it cause I finished after 11:00 PM and it would have been way too loud!!!

RDrancher 10-05-2016 08:27 AM

Nice job!

Craftsman isn't what it used to be...or maybe it is. I had a Craftsman electric impact that did it's job for a bunch of years. The ring that holds sockets on was always kind of a pita though and would stick one on or spit one off at random. When I was checking out junk at HF one day, I took a look at their impact and doggone it...except for the color it's exactly the same unit. So when the Craftsman crapped out, guess which one I bought?

daddyjeep 10-05-2016 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7733603)
so I went to Sears I mean its a Craftsman they should replace it right? Wrong, they only replace torque wrenches for 1 year and if you have the receipt, now I sure hope the new one I bought for $75 bucks from them don't break in the first year, but it is made in China so you never know

I went into my local Sears last week for a socket and they had that exact torque wrench on sale for $39. Of course i brought it home with me. The plastic collar that adjusts the weight on my old Craftsman broke after about 15 years.

Gregski 10-05-2016 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RDrancher (Post 7733692)
Nice job!

Craftsman isn't what it used to be...

You can say that again, the plastic handle on the new one feels like it will shatter at any time. I swore I would not buy Craftsman any more but I really had no place to turn but Sears, maybe Lowes I guess, but aint they all Chinese.

Gregski 10-05-2016 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 7733700)
I went into my local Sears last week for a socket and they had that exact torque wrench on sale for $39. Of course i brought it home with me. The plastic collar that adjusts the weight on my old Craftsman broke after about 15 years.

I think you bought its little brother they make a smaller one that looks just like it.

daddyjeep 10-05-2016 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7733714)
I think you bought its little brother they make a smaller one that looks just like it.

Nope, they had the smaller one for $29. They had a big "store redesign" sale or something going on. The store was a mess.

68Timber 10-05-2016 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have that same 20 year old craftsman, mine gave up the ghost a year or two ago. A friend fixed the ratchet but instead of spending the money to get it recalibrated I use it as a breaker bar now.

Nice work as usual, hope this fixed the problem and gets Rusty on the dyno. Did you cut the header flange on the driver's side?

rusty76 10-05-2016 05:21 PM

I've got an old craftsman torque wrench that has a ponter on it instead of the click style now. I got it when I was in high school. I'm guessing it's still accurate after all these years.

Gregski 10-05-2016 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7734118)
I've got an old craftsman torque wrench that has a ponter on it instead of the click style now. I got it when I was in high school. I'm guessing it's still accurate after all these years.

how in the world do you use that when you are hanging upside down under the car by your feet in the dark with the sun in your eyes while its raining, with the clicker you hear the click, ha ha

Oldriginal86 10-05-2016 08:59 PM

So, get that thing on the dyno so we can see the fruits of your labor!

rusty76 10-05-2016 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7734278)
how in the world do you use that when you are hanging upside down under the car by your feet in the dark with the sun in your eyes while its raining, with the clicker you hear the click, ha ha

Well honestly it ain't easy really. You just have to be ready to jump out the way.

superdav 10-05-2016 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Timber (Post 7733914)
I have that same 20 year old craftsman, mine gave up the ghost a year or two ago. A friend fixed the ratchet but instead of spending the money to get it recalibrated I use it as a breaker bar now.

Nice work as usual, hope this fixed the problem and gets Rusty on the dyno. Did you cut the header flange on the driver's side?

Mine almost identical to that one died, I took it apart and the little ball were dry and dirty so I cleaned and greased them and it works like new. I did take it to work and put it on a torque meter that had it within 3 lbs so I'll call that good

Gregski 10-05-2016 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldriginal86 (Post 7734300)
So, get that thing on the dyno so we can see the fruits of your labor!

that's the plan you have no idea how bad I want it

Gregski 10-05-2016 10:57 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Summit Epic Fail

5 Attachment(s)
So Summit finally sent me a replacement water temp gauge for the one that broke after only a couple weeks, but you won't believe this

so I send in my old GREEN water temp gauge with a filled out form with the part number and the box checked for please exchange it for the same part number, explanation stopped working after a couple weeks

a week later, I get a refund for about $9 bucks, I call them up and say whats this for, it's for the Sending Unit you returned to us - um no I didn't my sending unit is still in the truck, oh so sorry we will send you your gauge

a few days later get an email, we just shipped you your Oil Pressure Gauge I kid you not, so I email them, guys this is in regards order/return number blah blah blah, I don't want an oil gauge

a few days later get an email, "What do you want" so I reply please replace my water temp gauge with a water temp gauge part number blah blah blah

and today this is what i got, a friggen RED Water Temp Gauge

I have completely lost faith in humanity!

Gregski 10-05-2016 11:10 PM

I T ' S A L I V E

so it fired right up on the first try I kid you not, but it would not keep running unless my foot was on the gas pedal

so I bumped up the timing advance and that made it happier (turns out it was at only 6 degrees when I eye balled it) I bumped it to 10.5 since that's as far as my dizzy would rotate before the vacuum pod hits the intake manifold - if anyone knows how to remedy that situation please let me know

I also increased the idle speed screw cause it was trying to idle below 500 RPM, so I bumped it to a happy 750 RPM

then I alternated reving it up for maybe 30 seconds at 1500 then back down, then to 2000 then back down, then to 2500 then back down, rinse, lather, repeat

man does it sound smooth at 1750 I swear you would think it's a Cadillac motor under the hood, ha ha

here's a sound bite for you all, and thank you so much for reading, follwing, and pulling for me and Rusty, we sure appreciate it

1974 GMC / Chevy C10 Idling After New Rings & Resonators Only Exhaust

harley87ta 10-06-2016 12:12 AM

Glad to hear it went well with the ring job. It sounds really good..

The 454 in my truck could use some help too. I smoke out my neighborhood when the outside temperature is around 60 degrees or lower. Once my engine warms up it's good. Either my rings or cylinders are worn out.

I'm liking your festive gauge package is it Christmas in October?

SkinnyG 10-06-2016 12:13 AM

Sounds like the distributor is out a tooth. Just pull it, turn it a tooth, turn the oil drive about the same amount with a LARGE flat-blade screwdriver, and plunk it back down.

Gregski 10-06-2016 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 7734495)
Sounds like the distributor is out a tooth. Just pull it, turn it a tooth, turn the oil drive about the same amount with a LARGE flat-blade screwdriver, and plunk it back down.

I think you are right about being a tooth off, I just drove the truck in to work today and it had no power in 3rd gear, I thought it was running too lean, but even when I turned the idle mixture screws out more the problem did not go away. This would obviously explain why my distributor vacuum pod hits the intake manifold earlier than normal.

What a shmuck I am, I will limp it home and drop it in proper, perhaps even do it sober this time, ha ha

Marshy 10-06-2016 11:21 AM

What's your cam specs on this motor? I have been reading the last dozen or so pages but haven't found the time to start at the beginning, its a little lengthy. :D

10 degrees is usually a good amount for a typical 350. That's your max mechanical advance and at what RPM?

Gregski 10-06-2016 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marshy (Post 7734703)
What's your cam specs on this motor? I have been reading the last dozen or so pages but haven't found the time to start at the beginning, its a little lengthy. :D

10 degrees is usually a good amount for a typical 350. That's your max mechanical advance and at what RPM?

GM P/N 24502476
212° / 222° Duration
.290" / .307" lobe lift
.435" / .460" valve lift
112° lobe seperation
108° ATDC intake
116° BTDC exhaust

Hewfil1 10-06-2016 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7734454)

I'll have to post a clip of mine. See how they sound together.

SkinnyG 10-06-2016 07:30 PM

My cam is 231°@050, with 108°LSA. I run 20° base, with 16° mechanical, and 12° vacuum at the manifold.