The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

MikeB 03-05-2017 06:38 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7875888)
one thing that needed doin' was to swap the side hung float bowls with the center hung ones on this Holley carb, this also called for replacing that silly little straw connecting the two float bowls with the single fuel inlet with a proper dual inlet hard line

That's an expensive mod. Any particular reason for doing it other than getting the fuel inlets on the "correct" side of the engine? I've been using that same carb for nearly two years now. Its only issue was being a little hesitant on very cold mornings, which I have solved by drilling out the squirter orifices to .035".

Of course, since I bought my 80487, Holley has introduced an 80458 with center hung bowls. (Place "aargh" emogi here.)

Gregski 03-06-2017 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 7877305)
That's an expensive mod. Any particular reason for doing it other than getting the fuel inlets on the "correct" side of the engine? I've been using that same carb for nearly two years now. Its only issue was being a little hesitant on very cold mornings, which I have solved by drilling out the squirter orifices to .035".

Of course, since I bought my 80487, Holley has introduced an 80458 with center hung bowls. (Place "aargh" emogi here.)

I was tired of the silly plugs you have to remove to see how high your fuel in the bowls is, and have gasoline poor out on the hot engine, plus all the cool kids had em, jk also that silly straw that connected the old float bowls had those pesky rubber tips that would tear every time I took the bowls off to reject, it got old real quick

Titomars 03-06-2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7877637)
I was tired of the silly plugs you have to remove to see how high your fuel in the bowls is, and have gasoline poor out on the hot engine, plus all the cool kids had em, jk also that silly straw that connected the old float bowls had those pesky rubber tips that would tear every time I took the bowls off to reject, it got old real quick

The secret to those transfer tube seals is use a bit of Vaseline on them before installing them.

MikeB 03-06-2017 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7877637)
also that silly straw that connected the old float bowls had those pesky rubber tips that would tear every time I took the bowls off to reject, it got old real quick

Ah, there's your problem. Carb felt bad because it was rejected. :)

I need to get a pair of the clear sight glasses (for the carb.)

Gregski 03-11-2017 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 7878169)
Ah, there's your problem. Carb felt bad because it was rejected. :)

I need to get a pair of the clear sight glasses (for the carb.)

LOL, hey I'll handle the humor around here, jk

Gregski 03-11-2017 10:22 AM

3 Attachment(s)
so not sure I shared this with you, but last October I tried yet another exhaust though it was short lived (ran it for a week or so) because I had that dreadful crank bearing problem

anywho I took it off thinking the noise was another exhaust header leak, turns out it wasn't, but I was running my exhaust manifolds with stockish turbo mufflers ever since, well until today

today we will put the Thrush Rattlers back on, or as I like to call it Exhaust 8.0

Hey what did you expect was going to happen when you leave me un supervised, LOL

Gregski 03-11-2017 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
these are single chamber and they are not a pass through design, in other words you can't see through them, not the best for horse power and flow, but hey according to their website they are "Making Hot Rods Hotter"

Gregski 03-11-2017 10:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
and so I got to build them, here they are being compared to what I had prior, a very loud straight pipe with only 9" resonators, did I say it was loud

these will have a more turn out style tip, dumping the dirty exhaust in front of the rear tires and right into the Prius stopped at the light next to us, two if we happen to be in the middle lane, win / win

Gregski 03-11-2017 10:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
tired of welding the resonators backwards in my last exhaust I decided to label the flow of the new Rattlers with some blue tape, so I weld them up right, as I believe unlike the Magmaflows these be directional

nothing to it but to do it

Gregski 03-11-2017 10:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
so got the Thrush mufflers welded to the front pipes and then welded on the tail pipes, again I like to run my exhausts just to the rear axle so I don't have to do the surpentine looptie loop around it, that may be part of my drone proplems but hey that's how all the cool kids run their exhausts, hee hee

RDrancher 03-11-2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7882589)
and so I got to build them, here they are being compared to what I had prior, a very loud straight pipe with only a 9" resonators, did I say it was loud

these will have a more turn out style tip, dumping the dirty exhaust in front of the rear tires and right into the Prius stopped at the light next to us, two if we happen to be in the middle lane, win / win

BRAVO BRAV-O!!! :bowtie:

Gregski 03-15-2017 12:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
a little mini update, so went back to the Remflex gaskets specifically designed for the L31 Vortec heads to ensure there are no exhaust leaks, also treated myself to some ARP header bolts, mostly for the much smaller bolt heads, should make turning them a bit easier in the very confined spaces that the headers provide

here's a little Top Tip on building your own DIY exhaust: if you design it with the parking brake on, ie the cable tension tight, when you release the parking brake for driving the truck, it might could hit the exhaust pipes, and ding like crazy, just sayin'

Gregski 03-15-2017 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
so the truck is pretty dialed in, the new exhaust is not quite what I was looking for (a nice deep rumble) but it's the best sounding so far, (louder than the Magnaflows, yet no drone like the Flowmasters) I may keep it for a couple [ahem] days, hee hee

here's a near perfect idle AFR (Air Fuel Ratio), I hope to get it Dyno Tuned by the end of this month, here's hoping... life has been beating up on us pretty good lately, wife had foot surgery and is to recover with a big cast for 6 weeks, so we are a (wo)man down.

68post 03-15-2017 12:44 PM

I always use an "H-pipe" when building exhaust. Flows better, less drone, nice rumble - but quieter. Summit has them in their brand and they are aluminized too, pretty inexpensive !

Gregski 03-15-2017 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68post (Post 7886726)
I always use an "H-pipe" when building exhaust. Flows better, less drone, nice rumble - but quieter. Summit has them in their brand and they are aluminized too, pretty inexpensive !

thanks, I have tried the X pipe before and dreaded it, PIA to install and get all the clearance, plus I like a true separation in a dual exhaust system it allows me to quickly see which side of the engine is doing what and narrow things at least to one side, and part of me things the H pipe is a sham, lol

Gregski 03-15-2017 08:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
got to make some noise today, Welcome Me To The Neighborhood!!!

the door mat is there to deaden the pinging sound as I hammered away

Gregski 03-15-2017 08:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
after we had the shape to "Good Enuff" it was time to plug the hole

card stock, scissors, and a sharpie, aka Tools of The Trade, hey that's how they do it on TV

I think this was 18 gauge sheet metal so I was a bit too much of a wimp to cut it with snips, so I used the angle grinder

Gregski 03-15-2017 08:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
don't let that big gap fool ya, the metal was just bent back a little, otherwise it fit like a glove

for some reason I started welding on the front side and then decided to finish it up from the back side

Gregski 03-15-2017 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
for my first sheet metal patch that ain't bad, nothing a grinder can't make look good - but that's it for today, the wife has a headache!

hatzie 03-16-2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7887117)
thanks, I have tried the X pipe before and dreaded it, PIA to install and get all the clearance, plus I like a true separation in a dual exhaust system it allows me to quickly see which side of the engine is doing what and narrow things at least to one side, and part of me things the H pipe is a sham, lol

Both X & H pipes are dyno proven to help HP in certain ranges. The voodoo behind how they work and why and how to properly set em up...
Dual pipes are easier to install. Do what you want.

SCOTI 03-16-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7887119)
after we had the shape to "Good Enuff" it was time to plug the hole

card stock, scissors, and a sharpie, aka Tools of The Trade, hey that's how they do it on TV
I think this was 18 gauge sheet metal so I was a bit too much of a wimp to cut it with snips, so I used the angle grinder

It's how it's done in the real world as well.

68post 03-16-2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7887117)

H-pipe has a proven positive increase over a separate run of duals.

Jay2Cor517 03-16-2017 01:18 PM

Super Chevy magazine article: X-pipes and H-pipes Add Easy Horsepower, but Which is Best for Your Ride? X-pipes and H-pipes Add Easy Horsepower, but Which is Best for Your Ride? http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/exh...for-your-ride/

rusty76 03-16-2017 06:29 PM

Greg I had thrushes on my heap and I actually liked them. They were actually mellow sounding to me. I liked them. How's the manual steering? I've wondering about it since you installed it and now that you have been daily it.

Gregski 03-17-2017 02:27 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7888517)
Greg I had thrushes on my heap and I actually liked them. They were actually mellow sounding to me. I liked them.

Thanks for the feedback, I like them too, but they may not be my final, final exhaust.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7888517)
How's the manual steering? I've wondering about it since you installed it and now that you have been daily it.

Funny you ask it sucks, big time, the dumbest downgrade I have made to date, LOL. Power steering will be going back on as soon as I Dyno Test this Beast. Found this beauty at my buddy Al's place, I like the front mounting bracket on it, as I don't want to hang the power steering pump off the header again. I am not a fan of chrome but this seems like a quality piece, may be the nicest thing on the truck, when I do put it on hopefully next month.

LT7A 03-17-2017 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7886693)

here's a little Top Tip on building your own DIY exhaust: if you design it with the parking brake on, ie the cable tension tight, when you release the parking brake for driving the truck, it might could hit the exhaust pipes, and ding like crazy, just sayin'

Well, when you put on a muffler called the Rattler...

Johns66 04-01-2017 11:12 PM

First of all awesome build, you give new meaning to the word perserverence.

My wife just asked me what are you reading now on that truck forum. I said same thing I was reading this morning.

I told her it's a truck thing, she told me she should have made me choose between the 66 mustang 90% done and the 66 chevy truck in pieces.

I told her if she made me choose I was going to miss her, just kidding I didn't say that out loud.....i did tell her I could have worse habits.

LT7A 04-02-2017 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns66 (Post 7903761)

My wife just asked me what are you reading now on that truck forum. I said same thing I was reading this morning.

I told her it's a truck thing, she told me she should have made me choose between the 66 mustang 90% done and the 66 chevy truck in pieces.

I told her if she made me choose I was going to miss her, just kidding I didn't say that out loud.....i did tell her I could have worse habits.

Amen brother. Sometimes the ladies forget that there are things many guys do that are more expensive, destructive, and addictive than cars and trucks. What do I know, I'm not married. But I did have this exact conversation with a woman in a bar once: What do you think of a guy with more vehicles than he needs, a shop, tools, etc. And she said that she's been with men with much worse vices than that. And now we're married! No, I just said thank you, good call.

Grumpus Monkus 04-02-2017 09:56 AM

Thanks for the inspiring thread and job well done.

Gregski 04-02-2017 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 7888940)
Well, when you put on a muffler called the Rattler...

ha ha funny now that I think about it

Gregski 04-02-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns66 (Post 7903761)

thanks, hilarious story, I too had a Mustang, mine was a '68 and I chose the wife over it, I still regret it, jk

Gregski 04-02-2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpus Monkus (Post 7904040)
Thanks for the inspiring thread and job well done.

thank you so much for the kind words

Gregski 04-02-2017 11:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
there was another 50% off sale at the local Pick n Pulls this weekend

all seats $15 bucks! hmmm - dog must hunt!

Gregski 04-02-2017 11:20 AM

5 Attachment(s)
hello beautiful, all you purists turn your heads

so could this 2002 Dodge Dakota have the perfect sexy black seats for Rusty?

had to borrow an 18mm from a wise ol' timmer who bronged metrics with him, where I've been only bringing my standard wrenches for them older GM trucks, thank you kind sir

Gregski 04-02-2017 11:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
and $30 bucks later they was mine

what I like about these seats
  • they are black
  • they are cloth
  • they are buckets or a bench
  • the center console folds down
  • they are fully manual and not automatic

Gregski 04-02-2017 11:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
now my bench seat measures about 59" wide and these are only 49" wide, however these are not all one piece they are three separate pieces that slide/extend out some or can fully separate

I don't like how they squish the center console so much anyways so I was planning on separating them some and if you split the 10" difference 4 ways that's only 2.5" gaps on either side of the console, not bad

2.5" ~ PASSENGER SEAT ~ 2.5" ~ CONSOLE ~ 2.5" ~ DRIVER SEAT ~ 2.5"

SkinnyG 04-02-2017 12:16 PM

I parted out a Dakota at work a few months ago, and measured the seat to be a lot narrower than what I wanted.

I ~am~ considering buying three Sunfire/Cavalier buckets, and narrowing the center one (if need be), once the wreckers here have dried out from winter.

daddyjeep 04-03-2017 12:13 PM

I was riding in my buddy's '12 F150 and I was having bad thoughts about sneaking by his house and liberating his black leather seats for my crew cab. They were mighty comfortable.

Gregski 04-04-2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 7905243)
I was riding in my buddy's '12 F150 and I was having bad thoughts about sneaking by his house and liberating his black leather seats for my crew cab. They were mighty comfortable.

ha ha, sounds like it would be the polite thing to do!

Gregski 04-04-2017 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is my original bench seat compared to the Dakota setup, one thing to keep in mind is that I am not going to have my Dakota seats this wide, they don't need to go all the way to the edge especially if they are going to centered on the steering wheel for example