The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I Need a Gun Safe - Any Recommendations? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=145274)

BigDave 03-11-2005 01:04 PM

I Need a Gun Safe - Any Recommendations?

Right now I have guns stored all over the house. They are unloaded of course and the ammunition is stored somewhere else.

I really would like to get them all in one place and also have some place to store life insurance polices and other valuables. I've seen several at gun stores and ironically at my local John Deere dealer but I am not very educated when it comes to this subject.

I want something that will stand up to a standard fire. Something that would be hard has hell to carry off. Something that would be very difficult for the better than average thief to open. Of course I want the best deal possible too.

Any thoughts?

VetteVet 03-11-2005 01:28 PM

I am curious also so I typed gun safe in the google search and got several sites with interesting info on safes. Most of them are kinda pricy. the BROWN safe looks nice. I would get one with some shelves for ammo and other important stuff.
Vettevet

BigDave 03-11-2005 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteVet
I am curious also so I typed gun safe in the google search and got several sites with interesting info on safes. Most of them are kinda pricy. the BROWN safe looks nice. I would get one with some shelves for ammo and other important stuff.
Vettevet

I've done the Google search too but there is obviously a huge difference in price, features, size, etc. I'm hoping someone can save me the trouble of having to immerse myself in all of this info.

Fred T 03-11-2005 02:25 PM

Sams Club here sells a good fire-lined safe for a decent price.

Maximum Overdrive 03-11-2005 02:35 PM

Best thing is to get a safe with a sturdy locking mechanism and the highest fire rating you can afford. The safe I got has a 30 min. fire rating and a double lock and it ran just over $1000.

JerseyGirl 03-11-2005 03:23 PM

Here is the one we want ..Sports Authority has it....$1300
http://tsa.imageg.net/graphics/produ...p552377reg.jpg

jamis 03-11-2005 03:38 PM

Sears has them also.......besides the fire rating there is a rating that expresses the leval of security. I think its based on minutes it takes to drill tru it, but I cant remember the name for it. I have been wanting one for quite a while, its just too much money.

JerseyGirl 03-11-2005 03:39 PM

Yea they do cost alot...but I would have to say it's money well spent!

coltfan 03-11-2005 04:20 PM

I have a cheap sheet metal safe. It is basically to keep curious people out, not really thieves. Wish I had better, but it'll do for now.

I would ask this question on a place like glocktalk.com

Maximum Overdrive 03-11-2005 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coltfan
I have a cheap sheet metal safe. It is basically to keep curious people out, not really thieves. Wish I had better, but it'll do for now.

I would ask this question on a place like glocktalk.com

Thats what I used until I could purchase my safe.

Best time here to purchase a safe was at the end of the year, beginning of the next year when they are trying to get rid of old year models.

lux hauler 03-11-2005 05:03 PM

I have a Heritage Safe.
Make sure you read and understand the fire rating.....different companies rate safes differently.
If you're in an area that has mild or high humidity, a dehumidifier is recomended.

PHOENIX 03-11-2005 05:22 PM

I think I am going to build my own safe out of 3/16" or 1/4" plate.
I have a sargent and greenleaf electric lock and plan to also install a key backup lock.
4 to 6 1" lock bolts will be on both sides, probably not top and bottom though.
I figure its going to cost me around $500-600 in materials.
3'-0" wide x 5'-0" height x 2'-0" deep.
Ill paint it with automotive paint, inside shelves and gun rack will be stained wood.
The inside door will have a peg board.
Who knows how long it can stand up to a fire though.
It will weigh around 550 lbs. then I plan to add some steel plates to the inside bottom.
Ill make a fake floor in which I can put additional weights on the bottom.
I have some steel plates that are about 1-1/4" x 6" x 12", they are pretty damn heavy.
Could probably increase the weight by 200-300 lbs.

724wdcopper 03-11-2005 06:07 PM

phoenix, might try adding some sheetrock or silimar for fire protection. thats what my pop did when he rebuild a safe he got from a dead friend. its a monster. 8 feet wide, 5'6" tall, 2 deep. double doors. when he kicks, he says i gotta figure out how to move it! we rolled it in on pipes with 6 guys, but getting it to the house was the chore. i dont think it will even fit in my house! :rolleyes:

jamis 03-11-2005 06:22 PM

The best thing to put in a safe is bricks............
Just dont bolt it down and and the crack heads will more then likely leave your house with a safe full of bricks thinking they got the big score. LOL.... hopefully they will hurt their backs moving it

ChevyDude 03-11-2005 06:32 PM

Do you have a Galyan's or Dicks nearby?? American Security is a great safe at a great price...and they sell them!!! My safe is 40" wide and 60" tall and weighs 1140 lbs...no need for bricks!!! I am a federal firearms dealer and it may be possible to get you guys safes or Safe door and frames (for those building their own) at wholesale and just have them drop shipped to you guys. I'll look into it...what brand are you guys wanting???

jescates 03-11-2005 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what I bought. Paid right at $1200, holds 18 but can be configured to hold 27. At 18 guns, it's got enough shelf room to hold plenty of handguns and ammo. Mine came with the dehumidifier and a sore back, 2 sore back to be exact. 700 pounds was a pain in the a$$. It's the only way to store guns :metal:

lux hauler 03-11-2005 06:52 PM

Fortress and Smith & Wesson are both made by Heritage.
http://www.heritagesafe.com/images/L3060Ivory.jpg

http://www.heritagesafe.com/fortress...0Bluestone.jpg
Mine looks just like the ivory one....too bad my house don't look like that. :bling2:

70short/step 03-11-2005 07:25 PM

If you want a true "FIRE" safe, I would recomend a "Sturdy Safe". They are located in Fresno, CA. and I went there to look at them. As they told me, there is no true "FIRE PROOF" safe. They are not as fancy as some of the "Gun" brand named ones but I think they are far surperior. When safe companies rate the safes the put a sensor in the safe put it in an big oven turn on the oven and start the timer. Well when the temp hits say 1200 degrees they look at the clock and it took 30 minutes to get there. So they rate it @ 1200 for 30 minutes. Sturdy safes dont start the timer until it reaches the desired temp. Here is a link to them. I saw this actual safe that was in the fire. They were rebuilding it. Yes it was pretty much toast but look at the contents of what was in there. Money and paper work on the top shelf of the safe in a total burn down house.
STURDY SAFES

jimfulco 03-15-2005 12:42 AM

Just a thought if your eyes are getting a little old. A safe with a black dial & white numbers is FAR easier to read than one with a shiny gold dial with engraved numbers. The glare from the room light on the shiny gold knob makes the numbers almost invisible.

obsesive23 03-15-2005 12:45 AM

I have a Liberty safe and love it.

GlennBrittain 03-15-2005 01:59 AM

I bought a Liberty Safe at Pony Express Gun Vault, in Garland Texas, I called all over Dallas they had the best deal at the time, they also have a large variety to choose from. I do not know if they are still there, I bought mine in 98 when I moved to East Texas. Thier number was 800-272-9788 or 972-272-9788. Liberty's number is 800-489-8550.

jeffs98 03-15-2005 09:27 PM

Call AG English, they are just South of Tulsa Ok. in Broken Arrow!! They have various sizes and makes in stock!! I just bought one that holds 48 guns (had to upgrade my 30 gun'er that i bought from them 2 years ago, was overflowin') and it has digital lock and numerous accesories!! They are very friendly and will do what it takes to get the sale! Their number is 1-800-222-7233!! Hope this helps ya!! GL