The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

harley87ta 12-15-2016 11:05 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

I saw this picture in another thread. It's similar to how Rusty will look. But it's all the way in Australia.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1458014100

Gregski 12-16-2016 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harley87ta (Post 7797117)
I saw this picture in another thread. It's similar to how Rusty will look. But it's all the way in Australia.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1458014100

Wow cool thanks, does it look lower than stock to you all? It does to me, I like it.

Gregski 01-06-2017 12:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy New Year forum, just wanted to check in and show you why my motivation is a bit low these days, rain, rain, rain

evan 01-06-2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7816597)
Happy New Year forum, just wanted to check in and show you why my motivation is a bit low these days, rain, rain, rain

I know it's all relative... but that looks beautiful to me. It was about -40 degrees here last night.

Titomars 01-06-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7816597)

I am in that same boat as you. I deal with it by stocking up on parts for when the weather gets better. Example: Last night I made 3 orders with Summit, Classic Industries, and Amazon.
I have two old trucks to feed now my 77 C/10 and my new (to me) daily driver a 75 El Camino.

68post 01-07-2017 07:54 AM

I just hit-up RockAuto for 21 items delivered @ $69.65 , then looked into summit and amazon for muffler choices.

It's 2.8* right now and I don't have a heated garage, but I'll be ready with parts for better temps !

Titomars 01-07-2017 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68post (Post 7817348)
I just hit-up RockAuto for 21 items delivered @ $69.65 , then looked into summit and amazon for muffler choices.

It's 2.8* right now and I don't have a heated garage, but I'll be ready with parts for better temps !

well admittedly it is way warmer here in northern California. But look at it this way, you have a garage ;) some of us don't. Before 2017 is half done I plan on having a garage though. :)

vht 01-07-2017 11:01 PM

Single digits here right now, has been very cold with wind. Next week 50's and rain, I wish it would stay 1 way or the other. Nice build and I'm still following along.Ordering parts is fun.

Gregski 01-08-2017 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Never pulled parts in the rain before, but 50% OFF is the sale I've been waiting on

Will206 01-09-2017 05:18 PM

I have a two car garage, but its tight with a suburban and the GFs Cadillac. Either way here in the Dakotas its been in the negatives pretty frequently, and I do have forced air propane heat, but on a -10* day I can burn through 5 gallons in a single day and its like 15 bucks for a refill. So I'd rather just wait till spring. Plus I am saving my pennies for fitech fuel injection.

68post 01-10-2017 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7817987)
well admittedly it is way warmer here in northern California. But look at it this way, you have a garage ;) some of us don't. Before 2017 is half done I plan on having a garage though. :)

LOL, I actually have 2 garages (a 3 bay and a 2 bay - both detached), but my 68 442 is dead in one of them and you cannot get anything in the other bays(looking to remedy this situation). It is going to reach apprx 60* this week - briefly, but I have to work on others garages - installing new garage doors and/or operators (openers to everyone else).

If you have garage door or operator questions - fire away when the time comes, I have approx 33 yrs experience. I'm a firm believer in using quality products.

Gregski 01-11-2017 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68post (Post 7821284)
LOL, I actually have 2 garages (a 3 bay and a 2 bay - both detached), but my 68 442 is dead in one of them and you cannot get anything in the other bays(looking to remedy this situation). It is going to reach apprx 60* this week - briefly, but I have to work on others garages - installing new garage doors and/or operators (openers to everyone else).

If you have garage door or operator questions - fire away when the time comes, I have approx 33 yrs experience. I'm a firm believer in using quality products.

so jealous I would love to have a detached workshop (off limits to the little feet and the wife's path)

thanks for offering door help, we may just take you up on it

Gregski 01-11-2017 11:31 PM

Started the truck today after letting it sit for over a month, it fired right up on the first try (tip of the hat to my mechanic, ha ha) let it run at high idle cam for 5 minutes at about 1250/1500 RPM, than pressed the gas pedal all the way to the floor once to release the fast idle cam and allowed it to idle at a nice 900 RPM for another 5 minutes - cause that's how we do up in here!

wish I had more of an update, hopefully this weekend I will do some real work, maybe weld in those tailight holes on them step side fenders

Jeramy 01-11-2017 11:34 PM

no better update than hearing the truck started quick and ran like a top

Titomars 01-12-2017 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7823457)
Started the truck today after letting it sit for over a month, it fired right up on the first try (tip of the hat to my mechanic, ha ha) let it run at high idle cam for 5 minutes at about 1250/1500 RPM, than pressed the gas pedal all the way to the floor once to release the fast idle cam and allowed it to idle at a nice 900 RPM for another 5 minutes - cause that's how we do up in here!

wish I had more of an update, hopefully this weekend I will do some real work, maybe weld in those tailight holes on them step side fenders

I did the exact same procedure to mine Monday after work. and like yours mine also ran perfectly.

LT7A 01-17-2017 06:39 AM

I'm curious if you found anything cool at the Pick-n-Pull 50% off sale. Anything good out there? I drove by your town during the holidays and as I was driving under the signs that said Sacramento on my way to Oakland I was thinking hey I know a truck who lives here. I thought about pinging you to meet up and say howdy, but I figured with the holidays that would be tough to fit in. Would be fun to get a ride in Rusty someday.

BTW, you can slug me for saying this, but I kinda like how the taillights were integrated into the fenders. Simplifies the back, especially if you find a way to not have the tail gate chains. But I'm also the guy who likes the badges. So go figure. One guy's favored detail is something another guy is happy to see go away. Dig the truck, regardless.

Gregski 01-19-2017 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 7829127)
I'm curious if you found anything cool at the Pick-n-Pull 50% off sale. Anything good out there?

bad weather, rain and cold discouraged me from going, plus I am broke at the moment, still recovering from the Holidays

OldBlue4Life 01-28-2017 04:40 AM

I just wanted to thank you and Rusty for helping me through my winter blues for the third year now while I'm at college and away from my trucks. You two never fail to get me geeked up and ready to cruise and wrench when springtime comes. And another thanks to the starting lineup for helping teach this youngin more than I could have ever imagined when I first started reading this here forum. Definitely proud to be a part of this community and lucky to learn from the wealth of knowledge here.

And I can't help but cross my fingers and hope to see Rusty come over to the step (dark) side soon. They're what started my addiction in the first place.

Gregski 01-28-2017 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldBlue4Life (Post 7840565)
I just wanted to thank you and Rusty for helping me through my winter blues for the third year now while I'm at college and away from my trucks. You two never fail to get me geeked up and ready to cruise and wrench when springtime comes. And another thanks to the starting lineup for helping teach this youngin more than I could have ever imagined when I first started reading this here forum. Definitely proud to be a part of this community and lucky to learn from the wealth of knowledge here.

And I can't help but cross my fingers and hope to see Rusty come over to the step (dark) side soon. They're what started my addiction in the first place.

wow thank you so much that just made my year!

Gregski 01-28-2017 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
got one of these cheap $7 dollar mover dollies from Harbor Freight to slide my old heavy Muncie transmission across the garage for a few years before I put it on Craigslist, ha ha

I had more pics of this silly project but lost them in the click and drag process from my iPhone to the C: drive some how (oh well)

Gregski 01-28-2017 04:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
when I bought the step side bed, Al also let me have this front clip for only $100 bucks, I know I owe him big time

I hope to swap my taco hood for the one off of this one, as well as use this new(er) or other(er) driver side fender

I may also use the hinge springs off of this one since mine are shot

Gregski 01-28-2017 04:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
got to play in the garage a little bit today, and had that front clip in pieces in no time, taking things apart is so therapeutic (you should try it some time, hee hee)

Gregski 01-28-2017 04:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
unfortunately the passenger side inner fender was toast, they often are, they like to rot right under the battery tray, however surprisingly the core support is solid down there, surface rust mostly but strong and thick still, I might sell it if anyone needs one, the originals are extremely hard to find in good nick, how about one million dollars, never been raced, ran when parked?

Gregski 01-28-2017 04:36 PM

Well get this my brethren, we once again was served a 60 Day Notice to move out, yup our landlords want to sell the house (and we asked them when we moved in only 18 months ago if they had any intention of doing so, oh well they have the right to change their minds) but the timing couldn't be worse, we want to buy a house this year but not rush and find something in 60 days

So at least this time Rusty is all in one piece and runs great, so he will come in handy, but I am hiring pro movers since I did hurt my back and I'm no spring chicken.

In related news I am downsizing from a 3 car garage back to a 2, I know I know, Cry for me Argentina!

Good News is we already found a house a little bit closer to the kids school, and in the same area just half a mile away.

RDrancher 01-28-2017 10:09 PM

You lost one house and found another in four paragraphs? Man, you are quick. :lol: