The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

hatzie 08-01-2019 09:27 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 8568517)
Great write up, although after reading through, I'm now terrified of wiring again!

Looking at a whole vehicle harness is overwhelming. The key is to break it down in bite size sections that you can wrap your head around.
For example... The forward lighting harness is just a few wires... A modern LS engine contains a handful of sub functions. Break em up as individual separate systems so it makes sense to you... Sensors, Fuel, Ignition, Charging, etc. The functions may interleave inside the PCM but the wiring is separate.

Gregski 08-25-2019 09:47 AM

So started looming my engine wiring harness. The point of this thread is to show you that if you take your time wiring doesn't have to be that bad, you don't have to do it all in one shot.

I decided to do it on the truck cause I was too lazy to take it off yet again and I convinced myself this way I can ensure every sensor has the proper slack or lack there of.

I will upload more pics as I do more branches. Found that a little Stevie Ray Vaughan on the good ol' hi fidelity stereo pairs really well with a 12 oz refreshment of your choice and makes the split loom slide on a bit easier, ha ha.

Gregski 08-25-2019 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So I pretty much bought every size of black high heat automotive split loom from 1/8" to 1 1/2" I could find in The Amazon

Gregski 08-25-2019 09:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
using the high heat Tesa brand tape that Brandon of LT1Swap.com recommended, again from Amazonia

Gregski 08-25-2019 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
yeah that's pretty much all I did tonight (still recovering from my surgery so hold your judgement, ha ha, and don't tell my doctor) so just the passenger side four injectors, coil, and not fully in view the MAF sensor wire [good enough for the girls we go with]

hey do any of you know if they make a throttle bracket minus the cruise control hole on it, I aint got cruise control and would prefer a cleaner look, and don't feel like taking the death wheel to it just yet

Gregski 08-25-2019 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
if any of you kind souls could let me know how to remove these pesky GM gray wire harness connectors off the metal bracket that would be great, I am missing one and I tried to remove some at the junkyard and almost went postal, for the life of me I could not get them off without carnage

Gregski 08-25-2019 09:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
those silly white bar codes on the fuel rail will keep me up at night, must peel them off

Gregski 08-25-2019 09:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
yup, inch by inch, she will get done

Gregski 08-25-2019 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
... and on to the other side, twice as many sensors/components on this side

Gregski 08-25-2019 09:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
had to use a bit bigger loom on this side as there are twice as many wires, including the TPS, IAC, Alternator, Temp, Knock Sensor, etc. plus the Injectors and the Coils

Gregski 08-25-2019 10:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
and here is how it all turned out

Gregski 08-25-2019 10:12 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I did build my own fuse block following LT1Swap.com and a hybrid of the stock, and I think it turned out great

Gregski 08-25-2019 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
also to keep things simple, I mounted the PCM on the driver side inner fender, I thought about running the harness through the firewall and mounting the PCM on the inside of the cab, but I was surprised to find a lack of space for it there, and this way all engine stuff is in the engine compartment, so there's that

hatzie 08-25-2019 10:49 AM

You don't have salt and much in the way of water to contend with in Sacramento.
I'd still spray the open relay and Pak Con fuse terminals with WURTH HHS-K or WURTH HHS-2000 creeping lube or something similar.
The thing I like about WURTH HHS is it doesn't seem to attract dirt like spray greases and it keeps the water and other corrosive stuff away from open electrical contacts like fuse panels in the engine bay.
You can probably get it from your Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, or Audi dealers for an exorbitant extravagant price or just buy a can from an online vendor.

Nice clean wiring job.

LeesTruk 08-25-2019 01:29 PM

Nice clean job, sir. Barring any unforeseen programming glitches, you're gonna love the swap. A word to the wise, though. Hang on tight to the steering wheel when you say to yourself "Lets see what this baby will do"

Gregski 08-25-2019 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeesTruk (Post 8581841)
Nice clean job, sir. Barring any unforeseen programming glitches, you're gonna love the swap. A word to the wise, though. Hang on tight to the steering wheel when you say to yourself "Lets see what this baby will do"

thank you, ha ha, and message received!

daddyjeep 08-27-2019 03:33 PM

Looking good. Your clean and simple explanation of the wiring is pretty fantastic. I just might have copied and pasted all of that into a folder for future reference.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1VA65...lOPDVkxPrT0Gp_

Gregski 08-27-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 8583211)
Looking good. Your clean and simple explanation of the wiring is pretty fantastic. I just might have copied and pasted all of that into a folder for future reference.

https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1VA65...lOPDVkxPrT0Gp_

hillarium 👊🏼

Gregski 08-30-2019 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 8583211)

Thank you very much, did you get a chance to see my series called: HP Tuners Tutorials it is guaranteed to cure your insomnia.

mongocanfly 08-30-2019 02:22 AM

Looks really good Greg..!!

Gregski 08-30-2019 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8584679)
Looks really good Greg..!!

Thanks brother, I appreciate that, the best feedback I got was at work from one of my buddies who is no joke when it comes to LS wrenchin', helps a local guy here in Sac who actually beat one of them fancy Street Outlaws in a heads up race which they conveniently didn't air, LOL, anywho he said "Looks like it belongs!" that meant a lot coming from this dude.

Gregski 08-30-2019 10:05 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - First Drive After LS Swap

first drive into work, post my LS swap, so exciting, fingers crossed... keep grinding fellas you can do it!

UPDATE: Ok if you are reading this today, I made it there and back, well it over heated on the way back but that was a bone head oversight on my part, forgot to tighten lower radiator hose clamp. The point is that I am being flat out honest with you all here and not hiding anything to make myself look good, no build is perfect, there are just too many moving pieces, it's like we are putting together a 3D organic moving puzzle, and most often doing it by ourselves. So it's ok, that's why we do a shake down run, and yes I drove it around the neighborhood first slowly to see if anything falls off, ha ha before I took it to work, but I always feel until you make a real run with your rig, to school, work, or your girlfriend's house (shhhh don't tell the wife, jk), it's just not done till then.

FYI: Took 2 months but I spent like 2 weeks redoing my entire exhaust cause I wasn't happy with it and wanted it to go over the rear axle, but using Magnaflow mufflers still.

Biggest Challenge: Adapting all the metric fittings to standard: trans cooler lines, power steering lines, oil pressure sensor, etc. seems the smaller the part the longer it took, ha ha, but everyone on here was super helpful, thank you so much.

Don't ask yourself will there be set backs, but ask yourself how will you handle them, (music helps, beer really works)!

Most Fun: Buying, Learning and Tuning using HP Tuners.

Advice: Buy the most you can in one shot: engine/accessories/transmission/wiring harness/computer/MAF/(drive by wire throttle) or risk getting nickle and dimed to death.

Budget: come on you guys, what? and risk my wife seeing this ������ Formula for success = come up with an arbitrary budget amount, than double it, then plan to exceed it! Question being how fast do you want to spend? ha ha

Gregski 08-30-2019 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I swear I am going to paint this truck one body panel at a time, lol, I already painted the old hood, then the passenger side fender, than the hood again, well a new hood, and now you can totally tell the difference against the driver side fender which is going to get replaced and painted, oh the inner fenders were painted as well, I wanted a cherry engine bay in a rust bucket hooptie

Gregski 08-30-2019 10:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and then on the way home this happened! the lower radiator hose took a piss and the temp gauge jumped to 224* F

Um, did the Installation Tech forget to tighten the lower radiator hose clamp? [asking for a friend]

Gregski 08-30-2019 10:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
can someone explain to me please how one cuts his forearm by putting water in the radiator, LOL