The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Wgesnerjr 03-12-2021 10:25 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Glad you are fine and Rusty is curable.

I bought Summit hoses for my LS swap 3 years ago. No issues what so ever.

Now, if I could get the steering gear box to stop leaking, I would be great!!

MikeB 03-12-2021 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good to see a post about Rusty again!

Guess I've been lucky. I have a 69 truck with the same braided fuel line on it for close to 20 years. Not much pressure there, of course. Also had a braided power steering pressure hose on my square for 5 years with a tight bend.

Can't remember the hose brands, however I was buying just about everything from Summit back then.

You can see how the hose does a 180 loop to connect to a 90 degree hose end.

Gregski 03-12-2021 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8892822)
Bro, sorry to hear about your plumbing issues. I'm concerned about Rusty's as well. I appreciate the warning on Amazon braided stainless. Do you remember the cost, compared to Summit's offering? I confess to being an avid bargain-hunter but am revising that perspective to looking for good prices on domestic products when possible.

Glad your kidneys checked out good. And you might want to stop shopping for gas with drug dealers. Just a thought.

ha ha, here is a link to each, it appears one was $50 the other $80 but I would have paid $200 had I known it would have been trouble free, I guess I have reached that stage in my life, I make a little more money now and time is more valuable etc I bet lots of you will agree

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-230620

Gregski 03-12-2021 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wgesnerjr (Post 8892899)
Glad you are fine and Rusty is curable.

I bought Summit hoses for my LS swap 3 years ago. No issues what so ever.

Now, if I could get the steering gear box to stop leaking, I would be great!!

yup, looks like your steering gear box came with the famous PLS option, aka Pavement Lubrication System!

honestly I found power steering fluid to be the nastiest of all of them, that includes brake fluid and transmission fluid which some people claim to be interchangeable, sometimes the leak could be caused by trying to mate later style O-ringed hoses to older style gear boxes, maybe I got those two backwards but i know ones had rubber orings in them and the others didn't, so using a newer hose on an older box aint always a better option

Wgesnerjr 03-12-2021 04:53 PM

Affirmative on the PLS!!

Mine was and o-ring from start so the 85 hose when right into the LS pump with no leaks. Mine is leaking at the steering shaft input. It desperately needs to be rebuilt. Its in the cue: behind the rear end and repaint of drivers door.

It never ends....

hatzie 03-12-2021 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8893202)
yup, looks like your steering gear box came with the famous PLS option, aka Pavement Lubrication System!

honestly I found power steering fluid to be the nastiest of all of them, that includes brake fluid and transmission fluid which some people claim to be interchangeable, sometimes the leak could be caused by trying to mate later style O-ringed hoses to older style gear boxes, maybe I got those two backwards but i know ones had rubber orings in them and the others didn't, so using a newer hose on an older box aint always a better option

I think you mean power steering fluid and transmission fluid are said to be interchangeable. Sometimes they are. I used to run Dexron II and Dexron III in the power steering on my grandfathers' farm trucks in the late 1970's and early 1980's.
I wouldn't run Dexron VI in your power steering. Dexron III, if it still existed, would likely be just fine. Since it's no longer available I'll stick with Power Steering juice.

Glycol DOT3 or DOT4 Brake fluid has more in common with anti-freeze than oil.

Gregski 03-13-2021 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8893211)
I think you mean power steering fluid and transmission fluid are said to be interchangeable.

Yes

Gregski 03-13-2021 02:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
so the Summit hose arrived the very next day (yesterday) much to my surprise and I want to share a couple observations with you

1. note the crappy factory cuts, these are horrible and a total waste of ends, they should put some tape on there to keep the ends from fraying

2. I swear this seems like the exact same hose I bought from Amazon except Summit is charging more for it ($80 vs $50)

the cynic in me has this vision of a random cheap steal braided hose factory in the middle of Manila somewhere where they ship miles of this stuff to different American distributors with the premise of charge what ever the he11 you want for it

but first a box in a box

Gregski 03-13-2021 02:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
and here's a close up of one of the factory cut ends

as our friend LT7A pointed out "must have been cut with a hammer" ha ha

see the problem with said hose ends is that you cannot just cut an inch off the end to get a nice cut, in my experience you have to lop off at least a foot or so to keep the strands in order, maybe I'm just doing it wrong but I've tried it with many different cutting implements yielding the same results

Gregski 03-13-2021 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
although only one hoser was weeping I decided to make two new ones, and I was flying along until I got confused on the second hose and pulled the end off of the good new hose instead of the end off of the old hose, that made me mad and I wasted a hose as I couldn't get the end back on it, it was too fraid

pic of one new one in a handsome heat sleeve

Gregski 03-13-2021 02:48 PM

MANDATORY FAVORITE JOKE TIME

Three young ropes want to buy some beer at a local bar.

The first rope goes in and asks for a drink and the bartender asks, "Are you a rope?"

To which the rope replies, "yeah I am"

"Sorry we don't serve ropes here. You'll have to leave." the bartender replies

The second rope goes man why did you have to tell him and heads inside and asks for a drink and the bartender asks, "Are you a rope?"

He says, "no" but the bartender asks him for some ID and says "It says here you're a rope, and we don't serve ropes here. You'll have to leave."

The third rope ties himself in a knot and undoes his top braid a bit and ruffles it up. He goes in and asks for a drink. The bartender asks, "Say, aren't you a rope?"

He replies, "I'm a frayed knot."

hatzie 03-13-2021 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8893631)
although only one hoser was weeping I decided to make two new ones, and I was flying along until I got confused on the second hose and pulled the end off of the good new hose instead of the end off of the old hose, that made me mad and I wasted a hose as I couldn't get the end back on it, it was too fraid

Have you laid your hands on the short version of the Craftsman Handi Cut tools? I bet they will cut that hose and braid off nice and square.
I've had four four of the short ones since about 1995 and one of the long ones. Great cutoff tools for fuel, oil, and water hoses including the hoses with thin braided wire covers.
I have two shorties and the one long set in the garage. I use one more set of them to cut network and other signal cables and the other to cut and prep coaxial cables.

I can still buy the nylon anvils and steel blades but Stanley stopped production of this damn handy little tool when they took over Craftsman.
Some other enterprising soul is making them now. If they're as stout as the real thing get em while you can.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ronan-2-1-2...t/303670186301

This is the real McCoy...https://www.ebay.com/itm/254876062134

LT7A 03-14-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8893168)
ha ha, here is a link to each, it appears one was $50 the other $80 but I would have paid $200 had I known it would have been trouble free, I guess I have reached that stage in my life, I make a little more money now and time is more valuable etc I bet lots of you will agree

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-230620

Thanks for the links!

LT7A 03-14-2021 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8893631)

Haha, "handsome”.

LT7A 03-14-2021 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8893703)
Have you laid your hands on the short version of the Craftsman Handi Cut tools? I bet they will cut that hose and braid off nice and square.
I've had four four of the short ones since about 1995 and one of the long ones. Great cutoff tools for fuel, oil, and water hoses including the hoses with thin braided wire covers.
I have two shorties and the one long set in the garage. I use one more set of them to cut network and other signal cables and the oher to cut and prep coaxial cables.

I can still buy the nylon anvils and steel blades but Stanley stopped production of this damn handy little tool when they took over Craftsman.
Some other enterprising soul is making them now. If they're as stout as the real thing get em while you can.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ronan-2-1-2...t/303670186301

This is the real McCoy...https://www.ebay.com/itm/254876062134

I had no idea you could cut braided stainless with such a device. Good info.

MikeB 03-14-2021 12:16 PM

Not elegant, but this always works for me.

https://knowhow.napaonline.com/wp-co...aided_hose.jpg

hatzie 03-14-2021 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 8894065)
Not elegant, but this always works for me.

https://knowhow.napaonline.com/wp-co...aided_hose.jpg

Nice!!

The painters tape is a good trick to keep the braid from unraveling no matter what you use to cut it.

Gregski 03-14-2021 01:09 PM

thanks guys I really appreciate the feedback and I hope this helps others as well, I am with you on the cut off wheel I get the thinnest possible and you won't know what's a thin wheel unless you see two or three kinds side by side at your local Ace or other supply house

also I recommend using a full size cut off wheel so like a new 4" and not a used up one or a mini so that your cut can just go straight through and you don't have to rotate the implement all the way around the hose

and finally just a twist on the tips give, I found that for me clear shipping tape holds the braids tightest our of masking tape or painters tape, it is a bit of a PIA to get off after the cut but I just cut it with a razor length wise and off it comes, and lately I just started to bend the end over about 1/8th of an inch to give me a starting point on peeling it back

again thank you all for you the tips

LT7A 03-15-2021 06:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mike, this is a very clean and detailed engine bay. Something they would have called super-sanitary, back in the day.

MikeB 03-15-2021 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8894437)
Mike, this is a very clean and detailed engine bay. Something they would have called super-sanitary, back in the day.

Thanks. That was shortly after I installed the engine. Because it replaced a 250 six, literally every bolt, bracket, hose, and belt were new, except for the air cleaner. It eventually got headers, which also looked great for a while.

Check my signature. Sold the 82 and just got the 69 back yesterday.

Gregski 03-16-2021 03:38 PM

so it appears we successfully transferred two full quarts of the red stuff from the trans belly to the driveway via the busted stainless steel braided pin hole, and she still ranned and shifted, salute to the GM guys

hatzie 03-16-2021 05:30 PM

As long as you didn't damage the pump you should be just fine.

Gregski 03-20-2021 04:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
the beauty of owning old cars or trucks is that they need constant care and feeding, and Rusty is no exception, especially as my daily driver

add to that the premise that if it aint broken and you decided to fix it, and you have a recipe for a fun weekend

old cars are funny like that, I still remember the Car Fix episode where Jared and Lou both very competent wrenches drove in and replaced the carpet in a Camaro or Fire Chicken I forget which, and afterwards the car would not start, and would not drive out of the shop bay, lol, I just grinned and nodded to myself, going yup - old cars!!!

so what is this latest rant about, well my Lokar automagic transmission shifter, it worked fine before I loosened the tortoise shell to get to the trans fluid lines in order to replace them, and now with the shell back in place and bolted up finger tight the shifter has way too much throw on it for some odd unexplained reason where it wants to go way too far forward and kiss the dash and then lay way too far back and hug the seat

we must investigate this mystery

Gregski 03-20-2021 06:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
hmmm, yet another aftermarket part failure, please tell me it aint so!

now I am 106% sure the allan nut that was supposed to be in there was in there as I've kept a zip loc baggie of all the extra bits from this Lokar shifter and it sure wasn't in there, not to mention the other three missing bolts

Gregski 03-20-2021 06:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
now before you blame me the installer let me tell you that the other bolt (the one on the side) that worked itself out is only held in place by like 3 threads and then it is designed to bottom out and can't screw in any further, so there's that