The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 03-03-2016 10:17 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

2 Attachment(s)
that's when he drew blood!!!

FINALLY!!! thought it would never happen, ha ha

Gregski 03-03-2016 10:18 PM

then we ran home to cry to mama

y5mgisi 03-03-2016 11:45 PM

I can't tell you how many times I have drawn blood and not had a clue as to how it happened. Just working away and then all the sudden stuff starts turning red and your like, wtf?! Did I cut myself somehow? When? On what?

The flip side is there have been a great many times where I busted a knuckle or something and instantly thought, wonder how much blood is going to pour out of this one!

Gregski 03-03-2016 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7508788)
i can't tell you how many times i have drawn blood and not had a clue as to how it happened. Just working away and then all the sudden stuff starts turning red and your like, wtf?! Did i cut myself somehow? When? On what?

The flip side is there have been a great many times where i busted a knuckle or something and instantly thought, wonder how much blood is going to pour out of this one!

true!

hatzie 03-04-2016 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7508788)
I can't tell you how many times I have drawn blood and not had a clue as to how it happened. Just working away and then all the sudden stuff starts turning red and your like, wtf?! Did I cut myself somehow? When? On what?

The flip side is there have been a great many times where I busted a knuckle or something and instantly thought, wonder how much blood is going to pour out of this one!

I remember working on the exhaust under a G20 van years ago. I began wondering how and why the transmission was leaking down my shirtsleeve to my elbow when I wasn't under the darn thing.
The answer? It was me leaking red stuff from a pretty nasty gash in my arm that didn't bleed immediately when I bashed it on something sharp :eek:. It wasn't Dexron II.

Gregski 03-05-2016 01:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Day Three of Engine Removal

picked up this Two Ton Load Leveler from Harbor Freight (aka the Cheap Chinese Tool Store) for about $45 bones, its a step above their 3/4 ton yellow one, fingered I am pulling the engine with the boat anchor SM465 Muncie, might as well get this one

man, the Harbor Freightians sure have a sense of humor, they give you the [single use] plastic red handle with a grade 3 bolt for this TWO TON jack, LOL, needless to say we mucked up the threads on that piece of junk on first use, other than the handle, the leveler held up, and no one Got Dead!

Gregski 03-05-2016 02:05 AM

4 Attachment(s)
after disconnecting the drive shaft and the transmission from the cross member, we put the engine hoist and the new leveler to good use

we left the starter on and the oil filter, and maybe if we was to do it again we would have removed these two aparatie to prevent them from catching on the engine mounts

Gregski 03-05-2016 02:06 AM

4 Attachment(s)
and we have Lift Off

Gregski 03-05-2016 02:09 AM

4 Attachment(s)
down boy, good boy!

Gregski 03-05-2016 02:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and this Divorce is Final

Gregski 03-05-2016 02:14 AM

5 Attachment(s)
always wanted to git an engine up on this type of engine stand like they do on all them TV shows and tear it down

Gregski 03-05-2016 03:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
then it was time to commence with The Tear Down ceremonies

first the valve covers and the intake manifold came off, this revealed a decent leak proof set of beads on the Great Wall of China, both in the front and the rear of the block, nice

Gregski 03-05-2016 03:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Off with his head!

Gregski 03-05-2016 03:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
the lifter extraction proved to be a challenge - had to resort to vice grips and liberal use of PB Blaster to [ahem] persuade them out - fortunately we is replacing them with brand new ones

Gregski 03-05-2016 03:16 AM

5 Attachment(s)
the crank pulley came off next, which allowed us to pull off the harmonic balancer

Gregski 03-05-2016 03:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
the timing cover was do to come off next, in hind sight, might be more better to remove the oil pan first as the bottom of the timing set cover has a lip that protrudes and overlaps the oil pan, oh well

Gregski 03-05-2016 03:22 AM

4 Attachment(s)
that revealed the timing set, and the chain which had way too much stretchability

Gregski 03-05-2016 03:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
then I pulled out the camshaft, make sure you remove the fuel pump rod to allow it to slide out

Gregski 03-05-2016 03:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
pulled the crank gear next

Gregski 03-05-2016 03:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
removed the water/coolant plugs out of the block on each side, and nothing came out, had to poke in there with a small flat screw driver to get a decent waterfall

Gregski 03-05-2016 03:30 AM

dropped the oil pan, removed the oil filter and the starter and decided to call it a night

The Russian Judge rated the Fun Level at 9 for the evening, sighting that it was exhilarating yet messy

Jake Wade 03-05-2016 08:07 AM

I know you mentioned you were doing a top end job, Do you plan to tear it down further?

May need cam bearings and I would look at the crank bearings.

enaberif 03-05-2016 10:41 AM

someone has done a timing chain change on that motor. gm used nylon coated upper gears for many years which ended up cracking.

my original chain was way more stretched than yours.

y5mgisi 03-05-2016 11:21 AM

Fun! Only a level 9?! Lol that's a good feeling!

Gregski 03-05-2016 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Wade (Post 7510204)
I know you mentioned you were doing a top end job, Do you plan to tear it down further?

May need cam bearings and I would look at the crank bearings.

No, I already went further than planned by removing the bell housing, clutch, and fly wheel

I am just going to pretend all that is just good, ha ha

Gregski 03-05-2016 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7510324)
someone has done a timing chain change on that motor. gm used nylon coated upper gears for many years which ended up cracking.

my original chain was way more stretched than yours.

I believe this is all original, the cam gear is very light I thought it was aluminum, but my buddy said its that nylon stuff, it's just really dirty that's all, maybe if I was to clean it up we could confirm for sure

Titomars 03-05-2016 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7510391)
No, I already went further than planned by removing the bell housing, clutch, and fly wheel

I am just going to pretend all that is just good, ha ha

I am planning pretty much the same job as you are doing. Mine needs a cam. It has a bad lobe. It is also one of those "no rev" RV cams. I hate those cams. So we have at the ready, a decent Crane cam (fairly tame), gear drive, a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads, Harland Sharp roller rockers, New Edelbrock intake, NOS Holley 780cfm, NOS Vintage cal custom valve covers and a host of other support parts to go with it. I want my Rat to scream :lol: I would have done this in July or August but my back has been out since June. Just this month it has finally felt better enough to start projects on my truck again.

Titomars 03-05-2016 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7510392)
I believe this is all original, the cam gear is very light I thought it was aluminum, but my buddy said its that nylon stuff, it's just really dirty that's all, maybe if I was to clean it up we could confirm for sure

From the photo it looks like a nylon gear. I am amazed it has made it this far ;)

LT7A 03-05-2016 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 7508900)
I began wondering how and why the transmission was leaking down my shirtsleeve to my elbow when I wasn't under the darn thing. It was me leaking red stuff from a pretty nasty gash in my arm that didn't bleed immediately when I bashed it on something sharp :eek:. It wasn't Dexron II.

I had the opposite experience once, long time ago. Changing trans fluid and filter and old roommate wandered onto the driveway (not car savvy). Half of my upper body was red with Dexron. I rolled out from under the truck and said Hey man, could you give me a hand? Sent him into a panic.

Greg, you've covered many pages since I checked in. Nice work! I really like the methodical approach, operating tables, organ bins and all.

Gregski 03-05-2016 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7510444)
From the photo it looks like a nylon gear. I am amazed it has made it this far ;)

the general consensus among my self proclaimed "car expert" buddies is that this truck may have indeed only had 35,000 miles on it and not 135K or even 235K since it was a straight up farm truck, either way it don't matter now

Gregski 03-05-2016 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 7510446)
...I really like the methodical approach, operating tables, organ bins and all.

thanks, I love that summary!

Gregski 03-05-2016 04:07 PM

Frustrating day today, the wife is out of town, so you think I would have time to work on the truck, but I gotta take one kid somewherez at 12:00 another at 2:30 then pick up the first at 4:00 and the next at 6:30, I kid you not

sometimes I think to myself, you know what all I wanna do is wrench on my truck, just be left alone, I say to myself, LOOK, I AIN'T BOTHERING NOBODY why can't I just be able to do this

You ever feel like that?

Gregski 03-05-2016 04:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
somehow I decided to press on

got the passenger side motor mount off, had to excavate the bolt heads to even be able to get the socket on them, they had that much farm crust on them

Gregski 03-05-2016 04:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
on to the other side, the driver motor mount

observation, the passenger side has the nut welded on to it, the driver side do not

Gregski 03-05-2016 04:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
spuned her upside down for a looksie

pics sorta blurry, apologies

man I can't wait to get that fugly orange off of her

Gregski 03-05-2016 06:46 PM

these are the numbers off the stock cam 2944 and GM12 and K80 (not sure about the last one)

I can't find any info for that type of cam anywheres except some dude claiming it was a performance cam on eBay that he sold of $18 bucks, LOL

Brent7654 03-06-2016 01:06 AM

Haven't kept up with the forum in a while but junk the stock cam for a slightly More modern version.
What's your plan for the motor?
If you stay flat tappet, on a budget go with a summit tight lobe seperation cam, they are the older but more modern than your stock cam.
JMO,
Brent

rich weyand 03-06-2016 03:12 AM

Comp Cams 12-235-2 or 12-231-2.

Front Range 03-06-2016 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7510632)

You ever feel like that?

Your ability to cope without frustration will get better as you get older and the challenges get harder.

When you get a call at 2am to bail them out of jail, when they move home for a few months in their 20's or 30's, when they go through a divorce and your Grandchild is in the middle, or anytime they do something unwise that you end up fixing - you'll remember fondly the days when running a taxi service was the only requirement. :lol:

D13 03-06-2016 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7510632)
Frustrating day today, the wife is out of town, so you think I would have time to work on the truck, but I gotta take one kid somewherez at 12:00 another at 2:30 then pick up the first at 4:00 and the next at 6:30, I kid you not

sometimes I think to myself, you know what all I wanna do is wrench on my truck, just be left alone, I say to myself, LOOK, I AIN'T BOTHERING NOBODY why can't I just be able to do this

You ever feel like that?

Many times over the past 35 years. At one point I sold all my projects from high school, college, and first 10 years of work time frame since I simply was never going to get to them.
But, my kids and wife know that I will ALWAYS be there to support them (note: not DO for them, support them as THEY do). As I watch them fly, it was worth 20 years of fitting my hobby in the little spots between. Frustrating, yes, I've been working on a simple tractor redo for almost 20 years, as other things rise up above it in priority. But prioritizing family before all else was part of saying 'I Do' and all that has followed. Trucks will always be important but "all true wealth is biological".