The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Ok Boys and Girls it's Storytime (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=384900)

SCOTI 02-02-2022 11:43 AM

Re: Ok Boys and Girls it's Storytime

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 9028832)
or just go with one of these set ups:

https://www.stevemorrisengines.com/e...-promod-engine

Some serious bank required entry fee there....

regan wilson 02-02-2022 08:42 PM

Yep Scoti. I don't see that happening.

djracer 02-03-2022 08:29 PM

Regan what do you have now?

71Dragtruck 02-04-2022 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan wilson (Post 9029098)
Yep Scoti. I don't see that happening.

Just have to move into a cardboard box, that will free up some income lol.

regan wilson 02-04-2022 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djracer (Post 9029556)
Regan what do you have now?

Brodix DN 9's tuned up by Slick Rick.

regan wilson 02-04-2022 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71Dragtruck (Post 9029678)
Just have to move into a cardboard box, that will free up some income lol.

Probably the box the motor comes in. lol

regan wilson 02-04-2022 06:20 AM

I planned on getting the valvetrain together and the intake on yesterday. That was in hopes of getting it in and running this coming weekend. To my surprise BAM lifters are way different in height than the Crowers I was running. I couldn't even bolt a rocker arm down. My pushrods are over 11" long and the one adjustable pushrod I have is too short. After hours of taking different measurements I came to the conclusion the difference is .175 . thousands So I'm shipping ten pounds of 1/2 inch pushrods back to Smith Brothers in hopes they can be shortened. I was told by Jeff at Smith Brothers they may not be able to because the thicker wall material is harder to work with. If was an inch it wouldn't be a big deal because they would just cut it.I told him they are no good to me like they are so just try to do what you can. So here I sit three weeks out from my first race dead in the water. I hope I have something by the end of next week. With this stuff you don't even want to put the intake on until you get the valvetrain together. This is really going to turn into a mad thrash. Woohoo

SCOTI 02-04-2022 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan wilson (Post 9029702)
I planned on getting the valvetrain together and the intake on yesterday. That was in hopes of getting it in and running this coming weekend. To my surprise BAM lifters are way different in height than the Crowers I was running. I couldn't even bolt a rocker arm down. My pushrods are over 11" long and the one adjustable pushrod I have is too short. After hours of taking different measurements I came to the conclusion the difference is .175 . thousands So I'm shipping ten pounds of 1/2 inch pushrods back to Smith Brothers in hopes they can be shortened. I was told by Jeff at Smith Brothers they may not be able to because the thicker wall material is harder to work with. If was an inch it wouldn't be a big deal because they would just cut it.I told him they are no good to me like they are so just try to do what you can. So here I sit three weeks out from my first race dead in the water. I hope I have something by the end of next week. With this stuff you don't even want to put the intake on until you get the valvetrain together. This is really going to turn into a mad thrash. Woohoo

Dang. And now Ma Nature is getting involved to make sure she gets her shot in....

regan wilson 02-04-2022 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 9029754)
Dang. And now Ma Nature is getting involved to make sure she gets her shot in....

Last year the big freeze was one week before the Belle Rose race. That's when I had the broken frame issue. I had to get up early this morning because I thought I was going to have to drive Kristi to work but the roads were fine here. I was in the shop at 6am going back over my measurements. I'm dropping the pushrods off at FedEx this morning. I hope they can fix them.

SCOTI 02-04-2022 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan wilson (Post 9029770)
Last year the big freeze was one week before the Belle Rose race. That's when I had the broken frame issue. I had to get up early this morning because I thought I was going to have to drive Kristi to work but the roads were fine here. I was in the shop at 6am going back over my measurements. I'm dropping the pushrods off at FedEx this morning. I hope they can fix them.

My point. You & many average Joe's navigated the roads w/o issue. Any bets on FedEx or UPS having the same consistency? I know we didn't get any of the usual deliveries from them yesterday.

I just hope the reliance on transport doesn't delay things too much.

djracer 02-04-2022 01:27 PM

Regan what bore Space and how many inches

regan wilson 02-05-2022 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djracer (Post 9029859)
Regan what bore Space and how many inches

It's still the same 10.6 deck 4.84 BS Brodix block I've had since 07. It's 4.625 bore 5" stroke. 672 inches.

djracer 02-05-2022 09:10 AM

Cool. My buddy wants me to build a 5 inch 598

regan wilson 02-07-2022 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djracer (Post 9030335)
Cool. My buddy wants me to build a 5 inch 598

Are you talking about a 5" BS deal? That would be a a short stroke with syrup buckets for pistons.

regan wilson 02-08-2022 09:08 AM

The pushrods arrived at Smith Brothers yesterday. It's a wait and see deal now. If they can fix them and get them back to me by Friday I'll be back in business.

mongocanfly 02-08-2022 10:54 AM

Ohhhhh, the drama..!!!!!!!!

regan wilson 02-08-2022 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 9031830)
Ohhhhh, the drama..!!!!!!!!

As of this afternoon. Crickets! Maybe something tomorrow.

regan wilson 02-09-2022 04:12 PM

I just heard from Smith Brothers earlier. They were able to save my pushrods. Less than $80 labor. Shipping not so cheap. They should be here tomorrow.

SCOTI 02-09-2022 04:49 PM

Heck yeah! Glad that went as good as it could.

aggie91 02-09-2022 05:28 PM

Even with the shipping and $80 in labor, I betting it was still cheaper than a full set of brand new pushrods!

regan wilson 02-09-2022 06:07 PM

As high as next day FedEx is it may be close to a wash.
It would have taken longer to get a new set built though.
I’m going to try and have running this weekend. I sure
hope my measurements were good enough.
Posted via Mobile Device

regan wilson 02-13-2022 09:29 AM

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

Fridays progress. Somehow my intake pushrods are still too long. The adjusters are almost topped out and that restricts the oiling of the trunnion and the tip. I'll find out how well it oils today when I prime it. I bench tested them with air and solvent. I think it will make one race then send the intakes back again.

regan wilson 02-13-2022 09:31 AM

Yesterdays progress. Ken showed up in time to help stick the motor in. Still a bunch of work to do today. Hopefully I'll get it fired this afternoon.

SCOTI 02-13-2022 02:28 PM

The push rod issue.... Is that a thing were you have to check multiples to ID the issue or an anomaly?

A.Delaney 02-13-2022 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan wilson (Post 9034128)

Fridays progress. Somehow my intake pushrods are still too long. The adjusters are almost topped out and that restricts the oiling of the trunnion and the tip. I'll find out how well it oils today when I prime it. I bench tested them with air and solvent. I think it will make one race then send the intakes back again.

Those are some massive intake ports!