The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Ok Boys and Girls it's Storytime (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=384900)

SCOTI 03-03-2022 10:17 AM

Re: Ok Boys and Girls it's Storytime

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan wilson (Post 9045526)
Things didn't go well in Belle Rose. I made two hits and burned up and exhaust pushrod. I had other issues I didn't realize. It's all valvetrain related. I have the motor out and the pushrods are being sent back again. I have an issue with three rocker arms that I'm trying to fix. Spare rockers seem to be unobtainable and I'm not sure mine are up to the task. I'm calling all over the country looking for spares as T&D are 12 weeks out. I can buy a whole set but that would be probably close to $2500.00. That isn't happening. Just another example of what's going on in this country unfortunately.

That does suck. Pretty chunky buy-in for the fix given the lack of ability to just acquire 'spares'.

regan wilson 03-03-2022 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 9045534)
That does suck. Pretty chunky buy-in for the fix given the lack of ability to just acquire 'spares'.

Brodix had the full sets. I can't complain about them not splitting them up. They come with the one piece steel rocker stand and all the hardware. They have to save what they have for anyone buying a set of heads. I have a few more people I'm going to call today. I've got a free day today so I'm going to analyze everything.

djracer 03-03-2022 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan wilson (Post 9045539)
Brodix had the full sets. I can't complain about them not splitting them up. They come with the one piece steel rocker stand and all the hardware. They have to save what they have for anyone buying a set of heads. I have a few more people I'm going to call today. I've got a free day today so I'm going to analyze everything.

Are you conventional or big chief style and do you have a part number?

mongocanfly 03-03-2022 09:08 PM

Dang the bad luck..!!

regan wilson 03-04-2022 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djracer (Post 9045843)

Brodix DN9 Spread Port. That's why they are hard to find.

regan wilson 03-04-2022 08:22 AM

I found some rocker bodies at PAR Racing Engines yesterday and ordered one to fix my wrecked one. I also ordered two spare Intake bodies. You just remove a clip and change the shaft out. I also found some complete rockers from another builder and may order one each complete intake and exhaust. There are two different intake rockers, one left offset and one right. I spent most of the day yesterday on the phone or examining parts. Everything else is going to be ok. I should have everything including my pushrods by the end of next week. That will give me time to get it back together and back in the truck.

regan wilson 03-04-2022 08:34 AM

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

That's one ugly pushrod. It didn't hurt the lifter though.

regan wilson 03-04-2022 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djracer (Post 9045843)

You should come around more often Kevin. If you go back to around page 17 or 18 you will see the changes.

71Dragtruck 03-05-2022 01:19 PM

Build a race truck they said, it will be fun they said, ****ty deal, hope you get it sorted.

regan wilson 03-05-2022 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71Dragtruck (Post 9046614)
Build a race truck they said, it will be fun they said, ****ty deal, hope you get it sorted.

Nobody said it was for smart People. You are a member of the club.

D.B 03-05-2022 08:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Do you ever run out at I30, the old Redline track. I just started running out there in 2021. Its a nice track. I will be out there tomorrow with my S10. XRP is a very nice track and when I am not at I30 I am usually at XRP.

Attachment 2174898

Attachment 2174899

SCOTI 03-06-2022 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.B (Post 9046804)
Do you ever run out at I30, the old Redline track. I just started running out there in 2021. Its a nice track. I will be out there tomorrow with my S10. XRP is a very nice track and when I am not at I30 I am usually at XRP.

I was by RedLine tonight around 7pm & thought maybe I'd hang out & see some racing. I got online to see what was on their schedule & it's only listed on F@#%book. I don't have FB so no way to see if there was an event, class racing, or what. Saw a BUNCH of bikes in the staging lanes but not much else. Went home instead of going in....

regan wilson 03-06-2022 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.B (Post 9046804)

Attachment 2174898

Attachment 2174899

That's a nice little truck. What ET does is run? I don't get out and run very much. The last time I was at the old Redline Raceway was years ago. I went to run the 5.80 index. My last pass there was 5.70 @ 123 and I could barely get stopped. They just don't have enough shutdown area for my tank. We went to XRP a couple years ago. It is a nice track for sure. I was just testing on the throttle stop running 7.60's @ 121.

regan wilson 03-06-2022 11:32 AM

DB you might see my old friend Eugene Edwards running at either track.

D.B 03-06-2022 09:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got back from I30. It rained so they had a late start but did get a few runs in. The little S10 runs low 6.30's at 108 but I run a 6.50 bracket. Today first round win was a 6.55 on a 6.54 dial in. Second round I thought I was too smart and bumped the brakes on the top end when I should not have. So that put me on the trailer.
I30 was running bracket Friday Night, Saturday Night and then Sunday morning. I only got in the Sunday runs.

I am pretty sure I have seen your friend out at Extreme before. I will make sure to say HI to him the next time I see him.

Attachment 2175244

regan wilson 03-14-2022 10:01 AM

Well I got this far on Thursday. I replaced three rockers and my pushrods showed up while I was working on it. I ended up two days ahead of schedule. I reused my intake gaskets for the first time ever. They were stuck to the heads but tore a little around the water jackets. I couldn't find any so I just glued the hell out of them.

Saturday morning I stuck the motor in it and by noon was almost done. Ken came out and helped me finish it up and we got it running.

regan wilson 03-14-2022 10:09 AM

I had all kind of problems at the last race. My ignition switch was dropping out causing random no start issues. I found out I had a warped brake drum along with a bad axle bearing seal. I replaced the ignition switch hey it was only 53 years old. I'm waiting on the bearing that should be here today. I'm taking my drums to get them turned. They haven't been touched in 23 years. I guess nothing last anymore.

71Dragtruck 03-16-2022 01:32 AM

Looks like you’ll be back in business soon, hope that’s the last of the gremlins for you.

regan wilson 03-16-2022 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71Dragtruck (Post 9051946)
Looks like you’ll be back in business soon, hope that’s the last of the gremlins for you.

I hope so Monty. When you go racing and have so many problems that you don't know which one to work on it kinda sucks.

GSFMECH 03-18-2022 02:50 PM

Regan, that is one heck of a story, this is my first time reading it all the way through. Your tales of racing at Hallsville and at Gilliam bring back memories from the 90's, I used to race at both those tracks. Sad to see Hallsville gone now. I love your truck and the fact you've had it so long. I've went through several trucks in that time and wish I had my first one back. Hate I missed you when you came through Natchitoches.

regan wilson 03-18-2022 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSFMECH (Post 9053091)
Regan, that is one heck of a story, this is my first time reading it all the way through. Your tales of racing at Hallsville and at Gilliam bring back memories from the 90's, I used to race at both those tracks. Sad to see Hallsville gone now. I love your truck and the fact you've had it so long. I've went through several trucks in that time and wish I had my first one back. Hate I missed you when you came through Natchitoches.

Thanks G. I was kidding about meeting at the Truck Stop but I did stop there.
Maybe next year when I come through there we could have a random photo shoot. Also thanks for the compliments.

regan wilson 03-22-2022 07:10 PM

Pics from Sunday. Heading to Oklahoma again.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...G_E0413(1).JPG

regan wilson 03-28-2022 08:47 AM

Well I was a second round loser in Oklahoma. Saturday I made some really good hits. I was 10.896 and 10.899 on my last two time trials. Sunday morning first round it spun at the hit and got really loose coming off the throttle stop. It was bad enough I went 10.97 but I got lucky and my friend Wendell gave the stripe to me by .004. He should have won that round. Second round I thought the track would come back in since it warmed up. I was wrong and went 10.94 scrubbing a little bit at the finish line. My opponent Jay Bunce took the stripe by .01. There were a few Ducks there but I didn't draw one. At the end of the day my friend Wendell came out ahead in the Jegs Allstar points. He gets to go to Indy and race the Allstars like I did in 08 at the Chicago track. We have the Houston Divisional in two weeks. I'll be getting ready for that over the next week. Maybe I can do a little better there.

mongocanfly 03-28-2022 01:23 PM

Fingers crossed..!!!

Liz 04-07-2022 08:40 PM

regan where are you? any updates?