The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 04-10-2016 10:16 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

2 Attachment(s)
now then, where were we... ooh shinny

~ WE ~ MUST ~ MOUNT ~

Gregski 04-10-2016 10:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
man, you're so lucky, the bolts on your truck were in that good of a shape, they are like brand new, oh wait... never mind

... and as I sat there on the ground thinking how pathetic I am not to even have a workbench, I tried to think of some positives of the situation and the only one I could come up with was that at least nothing can ever fall off the floor, ha ha, get it

yes I am a wire wheelin' mad man, but I can't bring myself to putting on rusty clay filled / wrapped nuts and bolts on the newly painted bits, this aint ROADKILL!!!

Gregski 04-10-2016 10:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
and so we had to do the other side, and by the way these motor mounts are identical as far as I can tell, it's not like there be a right and a left one, they both have a cut off corner on the bottom but its in the same place, fits kinda nice on the dirver side and silly on the passenger, the cut off corner should be towards the rear of the vehicle seems like, not in front

Gregski 04-10-2016 10:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
hmmm I wonder how the matching engine brackets will look on the block...

alright, and the other side... nice, though I wonder how these turned out Champagne instead of Cast Iron, glad I chose the other brand of paint for my engine, I like the Cast Iron look more better

Gregski 04-10-2016 10:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
um Dummy you used the wrong bolts on the motor mounts and engine brackets, I mean why take all those pictures if you aint gonna refer to them

Ah, you know what they say, never time to do it right, but always time to do it over!

Oh, and by the way was I supposed to use some Special Sauce on these, cause I just screwed them in dry? Pretty clairvoyant if you ask me, now that they'll have to come out anyways.

enaberif 04-10-2016 10:48 PM

Dude get yourself a cheap bench grinder and a wire wheel for it. I got a free 6" bench grinder and tossed a wire wheel on it.

Then I just use some vice grips to hold bolts and crap to clean it up.

Gregski 04-10-2016 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7556050)
Dude get yourself a cheap bench grinder and a wire wheel for it. I got a free 6" bench grinder and tossed a wire wheel on it.

Then I just use some vice grips to hold bolts and crap to clean it up.

funny thing is I got one, but it sucks I don't think it RPMs high enuff, its one of them orange Harbor Freight ones

Gregski 04-11-2016 12:03 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Re clocking the alternator, if you YouTube this procedure you will see guys doing it a couple different ways, some remove the back, some remove the front, I removed the back cause I wanted to see the brushes and the guts, the unit looks pretty tired, it may be the last old accessory on the truck, me having replaced everything else

I used the red WD40 straw trick to hold the brushes in while I slipped the housing back on

I think I rekeyed it from 9:00 o'clock to 3:o'clock unless it's upside down

Gregski 04-11-2016 12:06 AM

5 Attachment(s)
not sure this re clocking is going to fly in my book as it moved the hole for the mounting bracket away from where the nice hefty spacer bracket needs to go, and I am not a fan of the new simple pipe spaces

Gregski 04-11-2016 12:10 AM

4 Attachment(s)
here's just the before and after shots for comparison, see how the plug was on the left which would have been crammed against my engine and now its on the right, nice and away from all the action

and now on the engine

enaberif 04-11-2016 12:13 AM

Is there any reason you are wanting to use a low mount alternator bracket for? There are high mounts which put the alternator up MUCH further and much much easier to work on.

Gregski 04-11-2016 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7556159)
Is there any reason you are wanting to use a low mount alternator bracket for?

I want to be able to see my engine, not the accessories, lol, plus I think it looks silly and ugly way up there, just a personal preference, going with form over function on this one, lower center of gravity, ha ha

hatzie 04-11-2016 09:20 AM

The reason GM mounted them high is to get away from the exhaust.
You should probably put a metal heat shield between the alternator and the headers with some reflective heat shielding attached.
I'd put a metal heat shield with reflective heat shielding between the starter and the headers too. Make sure there's space between the starter and the shielding to allow some airflow...
Don't forget the torque brace between the starter tail and the block... The big Delco MT series and smaller Delco gear reduction PT series starters can break the mounting bolts, cast nose, and block pad just like they do on the diesels. Classic Industries sells em but... fabbing a brace should be fairly easy too.
Post #4 to the end of this thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=238063
More info in this thread specificaly braces for the 153 and 168 tooth flywheel 10MT starters. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=492532
How do you tell the difference between 153 tooth and 168 tooth starters? Look at the mounting bolts. 153 tooth are straight across 168 tooth are diagonal.

Oberon67 04-11-2016 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7555154)
Honestly, cause I'm not that smart, but I'm learning, and wouldn't that effect my gitty up, in other words if I put in highway gears in the diff to cruise at 75 MPH at about 2500 RPM wouldn't my truck be slower off the line, yet with an overdrive trans I get the best of both worlds a "quick" and I use that term loosely, LOL truck off the line and a happy truck on the freeway

Dunno. Yes, dropping the rear-end ratio alone will make all the gears relatively "higher," but that's comparing Muncie-before-the-change to Muncie-after-the-change... and I bet you weren't using that granny gear anyhow.

The only fair comparison to make would be Muncie-with-lower-rear-end-ratio vs. OD-tranny-with-current-rear-end-ratio. And that would require math. Acid test is working out the engine RPM to rear wheel ratio for all gears with both transmissions... that will tell the tale.

But you've already gone down the new-tranny road, so there's no point in working all that out now.

Jake Wade 04-11-2016 02:48 PM

I think that transmission has a .73 OD ratio. If you are currently running a 3.42, final will be 2.49.

rusty76 04-11-2016 07:30 PM

Your doing a killer job. It's funny but I never had any heat soak problems between my starter and headers. Drove it with headers daily for years no trouble. As for the alternator I could see possibly some heat problems but I have no clue there.

Gregski 04-11-2016 11:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the core support rode shot gun from my buddy's barn as we raced home before the sun set after media blastin' all the hard to reach nooks and crannies

Gregski 04-11-2016 11:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
the GM gods were not smiling on us tonight, it was one obstacle after another, I ran out of wire wheel, the wife interrupted to help her start the grill (the other kind) I said no, so they were having steak while I was having chicken nuggets...

Gregski 04-11-2016 11:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
but I was determined to get this core support covered in primer tonight, so I put on my night vision goggles and primered by feel

Titomars 04-12-2016 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7557602)
but I was determined to get this core support covered in primer tonight, so I put on my night vision goggles on and primered by feel

Hah! I love those night vision goggles.....:haha:

Jake Wade 04-12-2016 07:36 AM

Now if she had wanted you to help start the other grill, you probably would not have got that in primer. lol

Gregski 04-12-2016 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
well hopefully by the end of the day all these parts will be green (ok technically all but the hood latch mechanism and its companion spring, those will be le black)

I counted a bakers dozen, what did you get?

apologies if some parts may be backwards or upside down in the photo, getting all of them to sit still for 30 seconds was like herding cats, plus the wind was a blowin the tarp up, things I do for you guys

flashed 04-12-2016 12:06 PM

I think you need to recount .........................................

Just kidding ,LOL .

y5mgisi 04-12-2016 01:55 PM

Excellent!

WE B CRUZN 04-12-2016 02:44 PM

Love the post man, the way you explain in such detail with just the right amount of humour its perfect. Keep up the good work cant wait to see it when your done.