The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 02-11-2015 11:49 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 7043513)
I like the air cleaner ,old style all the way.

Yeah, if she only was a few inches smaller. I did mention earlier on in the thread that LMC now offers a narrower one but taller, but then they probably want a million dollars for it.

So I am leaning towards this Mr. Gasket Flat BLACK one - seen em fer $25 on eBay filter included, maybe a gray or a black filter would be wicket too

thank you all for reading and commenting, appreciate the input

rich weyand 02-11-2015 02:33 PM

After seeing the difference, I would never run without induction pre-heat if I was ever going to drive in the cold. The engine really wants to see 90-100 degree inlet air. In Sac you may get away with it.

bnoon 02-11-2015 02:56 PM

Ditch the Caddy air cleaner. Looks great on a 50's custom, and Caddys, but that's about it. As always, great progress!

LSX408 02-11-2015 04:18 PM

I like the 14in air cleaner you posted better than the Caddy one personally.

rusty76 02-11-2015 05:04 PM

You can send me the Caddy air cleaner and I'll put it to good use for ya.....hehehehe. I like'em personally but sometimes they work and they don't. I do kinda like it.....Though a 14 incher would look better probably...grrr.

Matt1977 02-11-2015 05:10 PM

not a fan of the caddy one, but hey to each his own

Jake Wade 02-11-2015 06:18 PM

I think this banjo fitting will work on your Holley and it has a 3/8" hose connection.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aed-5427

As I was saying earlier, you could put the filter right before the fuel pump.

green72s 02-11-2015 07:29 PM

I prefer the flat black open air filter. Keep up the great work, I really enjoy this thread.

Gregski 02-11-2015 09:45 PM

Updates, UpDaTeS, updates ...

thank you all for reading

Gregski 02-11-2015 09:49 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Bungee

2 Attachment(s)
first I want to show off this Polish Engineering custom 32" door opener, this is how you roll if your door hinge spring broke, see earlier posts

I am using a red bungee but I am sure other colors may work as well, please color coordinate accordingly, LOL

I have a dream: that some day I will have a long flat drive way, hee hee

Gregski 02-11-2015 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7044157)
You can send me the Caddy air cleaner and I'll put it to good use for ya.....hehehehe.

we might could make that happen I already bought it for half price and can pass it on to you for another half, better at your place than on a nail on the wall of my garage, hehehehe

Gregski 02-11-2015 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Wade (Post 7044248)
I think this banjo fitting will work on your Holley and it has a 3/8" hose connection.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aed-5427

Good find, thank you, I consider myself a Computer Ninja, but I struggle finding things on Summit, it's like Kryptonite to Superman

Gregski 02-11-2015 10:03 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Kick Panels

4 Attachment(s)
well I took my own advice and walked away from that pesky driver side kick panel and after a couple days gave it another try, and low and behold I manged to will her out, complements of a long flat screw driver

didn't even have to remove the parking brake, though I got her out of the hole with the brake disengaged, and pulled her all the way out with it engaged

brains over brawn (this time... LOL)

Gregski 02-11-2015 10:07 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Driver Side Kick Panel

4 Attachment(s)
now what you may notice is that the driver side kick panel was a bit brittle on the bottom, and that had me worried, but as it turns out after a simple trim with some scissors there was plenty of meat on it to save it

Gregski 02-11-2015 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by green72s (Post 7044348)
... Keep up the great work, I really enjoy this thread.

Thank you I appreciate that green72s & 74s LOL

Gregski 02-11-2015 10:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the gasket around the air vent valve now that's another story, for some reason the one on the passenger side may be saveable but the one on the driver side parished

unless I am reading that wrong LMC Truck wants $30 bucks for just the air vent valve, page 94 http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=94

... they gotta at least kiss you first! jk

Gregski 02-11-2015 10:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ok so here is the look at the evil twins side by side, they will also be getting the Dupli-Color or Dupa-Color as I like to call it (for my Polish Brethren) stain treatment like the door panels did

we'll see how they turn out

Gregski 02-11-2015 10:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
OK, so I went a little crazy on the interior today, (taking things apart is just so much fun, oh look that's only held on with three screws...) and decided to remove the visors as well, I justified it by thinking, hey if I am painting the kick panels I might as well paint these too, I am not a big fan of storing already sprayed / used aerosole cans (even after flipping them upside down to clear the valve properly, I just prefer a fresh can)

Gregski 02-11-2015 10:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I know this is boring, but stay with me now...

here they are side by side before and after the bucket of plain water and paper towel treatment

I think I will try to find a better passenger side visor as this one may be passed it already, and I can get past the mold? but its got that crease in it and it's torn a bit

Gregski 02-11-2015 10:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
ok enuff of that girlie interior stuff... what I really wanted to do today is warm up to the big Valentine's Day three day weekend big job (rear main oil seal replacement) by cleaning the radiator shroud a bit, I just got tired of looking over it / passed it at that shinny carburetor it just wasn't working for me

Gregski 02-11-2015 10:40 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty- Radiator Shroud

2 Attachment(s)
in case you were wondering, and I was, if the radiator shroud can come out without taking the fan out, it can (brilliant and proper engineering)

the radiator shroud is held in with two 3/8th screws on top and two metal clips on the bottom (one of mine was broken, good to know I will pick one up at the junkyard this weekend)

removing this solid piece was simple and easy and did I mention I love working on this truck, this shroud is hefty and sturdy as well

Gregski 02-11-2015 10:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
ok you got it out now what?

Geez, don't rush me, like a true artist, one must pause and admire the blank canvas, ok I had to go grab another beer ok, (had to buy me some time)

OldBlue4Life 02-11-2015 10:44 PM

Only half way through your forum so far, but wanted to say that you've inspired me and have me really excited to get working on my old stepside. Sadly, it's still the middle of winter and Old Blue is hibernating for the time being. But you're doing some great work here.

Gregski 02-12-2015 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldBlue4Life (Post 7044634)
...Sadly, it's still the middle of winter and Old Blue is hibernating for the time being. But you're doing some great work here.

thanks, and I have the utmost respect for you white powder mechanics, when it get's below 70* over yonder in Nor Cal we break out the blankets and flannel pajamas

hey regarding your '79 Trans Am did you happen to "take the restrictor plate off to give the Red Dragon a little more juice. But it's not exactly street legal, so [you're] keeping it on the down low."

Gregski 02-12-2015 12:19 AM

4 Attachment(s)
here we go...

what's that baby? Did I grab the dish soap?

No, you know that's why I don't do dishes it dries my sensitive hands!