The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

enaberif 03-23-2016 06:15 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

flakes will come from lots of areas... cam, timing chain, lifters, push rods etc.

Gregski 03-24-2016 01:17 AM

4 Attachment(s)
so I stopped by Pep Boys on the way home from work today and decided to pick up two of these valve cover breathers, I have some but they are chrome and I prefer the black ones, I was so tickled as they rode shot gun with me on the way home

Gregski 03-24-2016 01:24 AM

5 Attachment(s)
when I got home I was quickly reminded why I didn't buy the black ones in the first place, they don't fit in my valve covers, they is too big!

so on to Plan B, here's how you paint over Chrome, you don't you wire wheel it off, I tell you I never thought I would be thankful for poor chrome plating, but I was, and soon we were down to the nickel

Gregski 03-24-2016 01:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
a quick spritz of primer and tomorrow we'll be ready to make them black

What do you mean you never night painted? It's great, everything you shoot, turns out great, well until daylight, ha ha

Gregski 03-24-2016 01:31 AM

3 Attachment(s)
but that's not what today was about, today we took our first step on the journey to reassembly, we put together the driver side Vortec cylinder head (C 16 9)

we set up our little station for production line like cleaning of parts and assembly, and miticulously cleaned every part

Fun Level = 5

Gregski 03-24-2016 01:35 AM

4 Attachment(s)
my buddy Pontiac Mike loaned me these valve stem sleeves to protect the rubber seals while I slide them on, but these sleeves proved to be a bigger pain in the butt to remove (with oily paws) after the seals were installed than installing the seals without em, LOL

I just used a deep socket to press the seals into place

Gregski 03-24-2016 01:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I only used oil on the valve stem so it would slide into the guide easier, and a dab of oil on the retainers so they would stick to the shaft while I released the spring, there was no assembly lube used at this stage

first valve done

second valve done

and all 8 done in the first cylinder head

time for supper

enaberif 03-24-2016 07:48 AM

make sure to put a small dab of Assembly lube on the tops of the valves for the rockers before you cinch that all up and make sure to use assembly lube on the bottoms of the lifters too.

Valarius_Starchaser 03-24-2016 08:24 AM

Nice Greg that is for sure a tedious job and I agree it is about a fun level 5

flashed 03-24-2016 09:08 AM

Looks good ,and our good Pep Boys store one county below us closed and a new one opened nearby here that only does oil changes ,that sucks as they used to carry things our regular parts stores dont .
Keep at it and we will keep watching .

chevybuldr 03-24-2016 09:28 AM

Take your oil can and hit the inside of that guide with oil. Then take your hand and cup it and put oil in it, use that to oil the stem of the valve. Put the valve in and spin it as it goes in. I can not stress how important this is. The valves see most of the heat and will stick very easy. Trust me on this Greg they need to well lubricated and the start of the engine.

Gregski 03-24-2016 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7533640)
make sure to put a small dab of Assembly lube on the tops of the valves for the rockers before you cinch that all up and make sure to use assembly lube on the bottoms of the lifters too.

got the tops of valves under the rocker arms part, but wouldn't the bottoms of the lifters get their lube from the lubbed up cam? just askin'

Gregski 03-24-2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevybuldr (Post 7533716)
Take your oil can and hit the inside of that guide with oil. Then take your hand and cup it and put oil in it, use that to oil the stem of the valve. Put the valve in and spin it as it goes in. I can not stress how important this is. The valves see most of the heat and will stick very easy. Trust me on this Greg they need to well lubricated and the start of the engine.

I did put oil on the stem of the valves using a paint brush dipped in oil before sliding them into the guides, question

interesting, the thing is won't all that oil just run down in the time it takes me to clean up and paint the frame rails and motor mounts etc. I am thinking a month of sitting on the engine stand looking pretty

when its time to break her in, we plan on filling the engine with break-in oil from both valve covers, essentially take the covers off and poor the oil all over the valve train and watch it drizzle down in each glorious Vortec head, then we'll do the electric drill on the oil pump shaft trick while rotating the pistons 1/4 turn a couple times around as all the valves open and close, than a quick prayer and BAZINGA!

chevybuldr 03-24-2016 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7533769)
I did put oil on the stem of the valves using a paint brush dipped in oil before sliding them into the guides, question

interesting, the thing is won't all that oil just run down in the time it takes me to clean up and paint the frame rails and motor mounts etc. I am thinking a month of sitting on the engine stand looking pretty

when its time to break her in, we plan on filling the engine with break-in oil from both valve covers, essentially take the covers off and poor the oil all over the valve train and watch it drizzle down in each glorious Vortec head, then we'll do the electric drill on the oil pump shaft trick while rotating the pistons 1/4 turn a couple times around as all the valves open and close, than a quick prayer and BAZINGA!

While you would think it would, oil does not dissolve. They will stay libricated enough till you start. The idea is you want no dry area in that guide. Start up is the most crucial time for them.

Gregski 03-24-2016 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevybuldr (Post 7533786)
While you would think it would, oil does not dissolve. They will stay libricated enough till you start. The idea is you want no dry area in that guide. Start up is the most crucial time for them.

Copy that, thank you so much for looking out

79sierra 03-24-2016 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7533763)
got the tops of valves under the rocker arms part, but wouldn't the bottoms of the lifters get their lube from the lubbed up cam? just askin'

You will want to put assembly lube on the cam lobes AND the lifters as well.

hatzie 03-24-2016 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79sierra (Post 7533848)
You will want to put assembly lube on the cam lobes AND the lifters as well.

Can't have too much on that contact point.

The oil film on the valve stems should hang around for quite a while. If you're worried flip the head on its' top and squirt some motor oil on the stem where it comes out of the guide in the ports the night before you bolt em on.

enaberif 03-24-2016 12:32 PM

ASSEMBLY LUBE EVERYWHERE!

And then when your done.. prime that engine! Your not hurting a thing. Better to over lube than under lube.

Gregski 03-24-2016 07:51 PM

GREAT NEWS: I was able to return the bad/extra heads for a full refund!

So I am only out like $75 bucks for a set of [ahem] slightly used GM Vortec heads with rockers.

Score!

flashed 03-24-2016 08:53 PM

Great news ,now you can spend that on something else .

hatzie 03-24-2016 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7534419)
GREAT NEWS: I was able to return the bad/extra heads for a full refund!

So I am only out like $75 bucks for a set of [ahem] slightly used GM Vortec heads with rockers.

Score!

Indeed. :metal:

Gregski 03-25-2016 02:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
late night in the garage tonight, put in 5 solid hours

first painted the valve cover breathers black - and I'm happy with the results

Gregski 03-25-2016 02:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
more importantly assembled the second Vortec cylinder head, the passenger side - I think these heads turned out great

Gregski 03-25-2016 02:20 AM

4 Attachment(s)
did some mundane cleaning, like this gross fule pump plate, and learned my fuel pump actually does need two gaskets, there's the 2 bolt hole fuel pump to spacer/plate and another four bolt hole one between this plate and the block, who knew

I'm showing you this kinda stuff, cause it's not all Groupies and Booze

Gregski 03-25-2016 02:23 AM

4 Attachment(s)
and started getting the workbench ready for re assembly this Saturday, finally!!!

Center stage we have the holy grail, No it's not a poster of Pamela Lee, goodness gracious Earl - focus! ha ha its the Camshaft, the heart of the beast, we have not even broken the seal yet as we do not want to unleash the dragon just yet