The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 07-21-2016 07:53 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

2 Attachment(s)
can anyone recommend what lubricant to use in my manual steering box, I have seen everything from CV joints grease to gear oil to a mix of the two recommended

I am really tempted to just use this multi purpose brown grease I have been storing for over 30 years, ha ha gotta find some use for it

D13 07-22-2016 05:54 AM

Factory uses heavy oil. If you don't ever see freezing temperatures you 'might' get away with grease.

hatzie 07-22-2016 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7659677)
the latest addition to the workshop, man it feels good to be back in the game, looks right at home on that cart don't it

let there be sparks

those of you familiar with the Lincoln MIG 110 volt machines may pick up that this is the 140C model, the C stands for "Can't get it from Lowe's or Home Depot" ha ha it's a step above the Retail machines and costs twice as much and weighs twice as much as well, has better guts made of metal rather than plastic, etc. also I can get the spool gun for it if and when the time comes to stick some thin aluminum together

The Greg is Happy!

Aluminum takes a lot more heat than steel. 110v welders work great on sheet steel but Aluminum, other than thin sheet, is another story.

Gregski 07-23-2016 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 7661427)
Aluminum takes a lot more heat than steel. 110v welders work great on sheet steel but Aluminum, other than thin sheet, is another story.

I totally agree that's why I was surprised to see the spool gun as an option for this little bugger, and I even asked the sales guys how does the aluminum welding work with this machine and yes I know sales guys but they said funny that I should ask cause a guy just bought the spool gun for this machine recently and came back for some materials and told them it works great, but we shall see if when I get there

Gregski 07-27-2016 11:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
so sent my old / bad oil pressure gauge back to Summit and they sent me a replacement for FREE

More Better News: the new gauge works!

Gregski 07-27-2016 11:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I waited a long time to get this, so I am super excited

The INNOVATE Wideband "dual" (pronunced for a Chebby, ha ha) Fuel Air Ratio meter gauge kit comes with two oxygen sensors so if you got a V8 or a dual exhaust setup I should say you install one of these in each exhaust pipe and you can see how both banks are doing

DLG-1: Dual Lambda (Air/Fuel Ratio) Gauge
(Includes: LSU 4.9 sensors)

found it on eBay for only $320 bones, what a deal

I may dedicate a separate thread to this tuning, diagnosing and data logging system as I hope to get pretty involved in it

Note: I will be adding their digital Vacuum gauge (includes RPM gauge) ASAP as well, that should be enuff to get me started tuning properly

harley87ta 07-28-2016 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7666797)
so sent my old / bad oil pressure gauge bad to Summit and they sent me a replacement for FREE

More Better News: the new gauge works!

Glad it's working for you. Summit is usually pretty good about returns. They let me exchange parts I had for over a year when my car project plans changed.

rusty76 07-28-2016 07:44 PM

Cool beans on the gauges

enaberif 07-28-2016 08:02 PM

Wideband... The most expensive use once or twice tool before it gets put away.

Jaysonb 07-29-2016 12:40 AM

I have been thinking about getting a wideband guage. I'll be watching to see how it works for you.

KQQL IT 07-29-2016 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7657620)
Manual steering. I'm in big time. I've been considering it too for my old rag. I've got my reasons. Lol. It's funny to me but my truck has manual brakes. Everybody wants power brakes. Honestly I never cared for power brakes. My old 74 had power brakes and I never really cared for it. I'm a bird of a different feather.

Manual steering is fine, but not a fan of the manual brakes swap.
Pedal is to high for my liking and feels dead, stops just fine though.

But will stay for now

Gregski 07-29-2016 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7667512)

Negative Ghost Rider, the gauge will be permanently mounted in the dash, no different than Oil pressure or Water Temp, just taking the game to the next level that's all, I will see how things change in the Winter and adjust accordingly, when I go camping in the mountains I will see how elevation plays a part, very cool stuff up ahead

Gregski 07-29-2016 02:31 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Injury Report: Well had to try the new MIG welder without my welding gloves and with just some cheap ol' construction gloves from Home Depot and a spark burned my fore arm just passed the short gloves and made its way through the end of the denim Levis jack sleeve and through a long sleeve T shirt, I felt it but kept welding, cause I'm a man, that's why... had I stopped and screamed like a baby maybe I would have shook it off before it toasted my precious skin, ha ha

yeah, been to Harbor Freight and picked up their leather apron and long welder gloves kit, (sucks buying things over again that you had before but sold on Craigslist cause you is a PinHead) ha ha

68post 07-29-2016 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7667801)
Negative Ghost Rider, the gauge will be permanently mounted in the dash, no different than Oil pressure or Water Temp, just taking the game to the next level that's all, I will see how things change in the Winter and adjust accordingly, when I go camping in the mountains I will see how elevation plays a part, very cool stuff up ahead

Please do let us know on how much change you see in tuning needed with the A/F gauge, it is a pretty cool gauge.
(Nice little burn/re-education reminder for one spark !! If it landed in your ear - you'd have been much quicker)

enaberif 07-29-2016 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7667801)

Once you have a perfect A/F ratio you should never need the wideband again and this is what I was referring to.

A perfect A/F ratio means everything is dialed in and unless you may a weird change it should stay that way or relatively close for a long time.

Jstock85 07-30-2016 10:36 AM

Greg excellent work man! Shout out from the Deep South!! Read the thread and will use your work as a reference for my own project . I have a couple questions for you about the different paint products you used throughout your build. I'm maintaining interested in the interior and the exterior trim. Any info is good. Thanks!

Gregski 07-30-2016 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7668516)
Once you have a perfect A/F ratio you should never need the wideband again and this is what I was referring to.

A perfect A/F ratio means everything is dialed in and unless you may a weird change it should stay that way or relatively close for a long time.

I hear you bro but I must once again vehemently (big word alert) disagree, you see a modern day vehicle with Throttle Body ie fuel injection makes thousandths of calculations and adjustments a second in order to have / maintain that "perfect" air fuel ratio

our carburated trucks don't have no computer so they don't adjust much as we drive them, they don't know weather its 50° F when we start them to drive to work or a 105° F they don't know if we is towin' or haulin or are alone in the truck or with 2 of our fat buddies

so our trucks do need constant adjustments, I think you are focusing on the Idle circuit too much, I am thinking of the entire big picture, WOT - Wide Open Throttle, Part Throttle, cruising, but we'll get to all that, stay [ahem] tuned

and I have started a separate thread for all this to get even more geekier with it for those of you who want to follow along

INNOVATE DLG1 Wideband O2 Oxygen Sensor Tuning Diagnostics Logging Air Fuel Ratio etc

Gregski 07-30-2016 08:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
well it was time to put on some big boy pants and weld up my exhaust cause you know what those there U joint clamps aint leak tight, I don't care how tight you turn them

that there bulge is a resonator in an attempt to take the drone out, I get a drone sound around 1000 RPM

passenger side

Gregski 07-30-2016 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jstock85 (Post 7668919)
Greg excellent work man! Shout out from the Deep South!! Read the thread and will use your work as a reference for my own project . I have a couple questions for you about the different paint products you used throughout your build. I'm maintaining interested in the interior and the exterior trim. Any info is good. Thanks!

thank you for the kind words, enjoy your build

Gregski 07-30-2016 08:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
here is a stare and compare of the still clamped up driver side and the newly welded up passenger side

Note I had the resonator right up against the muffler, not my proudest moment there but we hammered in the intermediate pipes so hard into the header extensions that at the time I did not want to take the whole thing apart in hopes of getting them separated, but when the time came to weld things up I used some BP Blaster and my 3 lbs sledge to somehow get them apart

Gregski 07-30-2016 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and both sides done and ready to go back on the truck

I really hope moving these resonators / baffles what ever you wanna call them further up and away from the mufflers will have some impact on the drone sound

Gregski 07-30-2016 09:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mandatory Injury Report - MJR

honestly I have no idea how I sliced my hand there, probobly removing that exhaust and on those pesky U joints, they drew blood one last final time

RodsGreen10 07-30-2016 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7667512)

This is a true statement. I have one myself.

RodsGreen10 07-30-2016 09:03 PM

If you do t want drone scrap those junk ass blowmasters.

Gregski 07-30-2016 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
some day I will own three or four of these (AVE style, please check him out on YouTube - he is so funny) and swappin attachments will be a thing of the past