The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

RodsGreen10 07-30-2016 09:04 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

delete

RodsGreen10 07-30-2016 09:04 PM

If you don't want drone scrap those junk ass blowmasters. And buy some real mufflers.

Gregski 07-30-2016 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodsGreen10 (Post 7669405)
If you do t want drone scrap those junk ass blowmasters.

Trust me I am at the end of my rope with them, what do you recommend? I like deep rumble sound

RodsGreen10 07-30-2016 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7669410)
Trust me I am at the end of my rope with them, what do you recommend? I like deep rumble sound

Borla. I run the Borla XR1 race mufflers. I have a bunch of videos on YouTube with sound clips idle driving. I am a Borla fan. I run the longer version has a deeper sound.

rusty76 07-30-2016 09:16 PM

I've had glass packs on my truck for eons and honestly they've never droned on me. The only thing I see I would do different on yours is to point the tips (ends of exhaust) toward each other slightly. Like twenty degrees or something. It helps cancel the sound waves. It's the way mine were done. They stop right before the axle. I'll be redoing my exhaust for sure but however what I had worked great and sounded awesome.

Wide Open 07-30-2016 09:17 PM

Resonators on the late model stuff is after the muffler very near the exhaust tip. Wonder if that would take care of it?
Maybe also try some turn outs?

Gregski 07-30-2016 10:25 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Digital Volt Meter Gauge

2 Attachment(s)
so added the new Summit digital Volt Meter gauge in the upper left

hope to add the digital fuel gauge next month to complete the Quartet

baby steps folks, baby steps

Gregski 07-30-2016 10:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
and shoved the new Air Fuel Ratio AFR Gauge in the upper right, this is a temporary placement until I get the Vacuum gauge (that's what the second hole is for - forward thinking folks) and then will make it look more better, but still in the same general location

bhc41051 07-30-2016 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I hear John Deere corn head grease is good for steering boxes. I'm pretty sure power steering and air conditioning are aimed at the "pantie-waist mama's boys" market :chevy:.

SkinnyG 07-31-2016 01:18 AM

1. You don't fully own a project until you've bled on it.

2. You know you are a man when you look down, see blood all over the place, and your first thought is "geez I sure hope that's not mine."

3. I have Dynomax Super Turbo 17748 mufflers on mine, because I'm not 16 anymore, and I can't stand drone. I'd probably get a shorter body muffler though - these are almost too quiet.

Gregski 07-31-2016 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 7669551)
... I have Dynomax Super Turbo 17748 mufflers on mine, because I'm not 16 anymore...

best come back ever!

Gregski 07-31-2016 04:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
so got the oil pressure installed, not sure why it's reading 5 PSI with the truck off but 61 PSI with it warming up sounds good

also got a volt meter wired up, 12.4 volts with the key in the auxilary position, and 14.1 ish with the truck running

man this iPhone camera just can't grasp the concept of focus when it comes to shooting these there green digital read outs

Gregski 07-31-2016 04:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
got the oxygen sensors installed and the new AFR Air Fuel Ratio DLG-1 dual gauge calibrated

more details can be found in the thread below:

INNOVATE DLG1 Wideband O2 Oxygen Sensor Tuning Diagnostics Logging Air Fuel Ratio etc

Speed2acer 08-01-2016 07:34 AM

Great timeline posts. I'm just starting a 78 Cheyenne stepside resto and your info has helped greatly. Thanks for such a detailed post!:c2:

Chrispbrown36 08-01-2016 02:58 PM

It had been a while since I had read through your build, so I decided it was time.
Man I am jealous of the pick and pulls you have in your area. We were down in Nashville a couple of weeks ago (2 and a half hours away) and there were three and I thought I had found heaven. Ended up between the three there was one....that's right one.....square body on their lots. There was an 84 that was but a shell. Locally, one pick and pull and no squares...in fact nothing under the early 90's....at least truck wise. The local junk yards want an arm and a leg for everything. I live in a wasteland of square parts.

68Timber 08-01-2016 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrispbrown36 (Post 7670931)
It had been a while since I had read through your build, so I decided it was time.
Man I am jealous of the pick and pulls you have in your area. We were down in Nashville a couple of weeks ago (2 and a half hours away) and there were three and I thought I had found heaven. Ended up between the three there was one....that's right one.....square body on their lots. There was an 84 that was but a shell. Locally, one pick and pull and no squares...in fact nothing under the early 90's....at least truck wise. The local junk yards want an arm and a leg for everything. I live in a wasteland of square parts.

They've dried up here as well. I used to go to the pick and pull just to walk the yard and browse but for the last year or so there hasn't been a square on the yard period.

Chrispbrown36 08-01-2016 03:20 PM

There are two squares (one sitting in my neighbors garage and one sitting in a pole barn up the road) that haven't moved in at least 5 years (that's how long we have been here). The neighbor that has the one in her garage....well she and I aren't exactly best friends or I already would have talked to her. The one in the pole barn...I have stopped multiple times and can never catch anyone at the house. I am hoping eventually I will catch someone and be able to get a new parts truck or a new project. Otherwise I am going to have to travel to hit up pick and pulls.

Gregski 08-01-2016 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed2acer (Post 7670610)
Great timeline posts. I'm just starting a 78 Cheyenne stepside resto and your info has helped greatly. Thanks for such a detailed post!:c2:

thank you for the kind words, please document your build and take pictures, if for nothing else to sit back one day in your rocking chair with your granddaughter on your lap and look at them and go damn I did that?

Gregski 08-01-2016 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrispbrown36 (Post 7670931)

Bro, things have changed fast, now I go to the four local yards and every once in a while there aint even one Squarebody to pull parts off of, for real even here in sunny Northern California

Gregski 08-01-2016 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Timber (Post 7670943)
They've dried up here as well. I used to go to the pick and pull just to walk the yard and browse but for the last year or so there hasn't been a square on the yard period.

ditto, things are disappearing is Sacramento California yards as well, trucks be gettin' famous, time to start building Crown Vics, ha ha

Gregski 08-01-2016 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrispbrown36 (Post 7670957)
...The neighbor that has the one in her garage....well she and I aren't exactly best friends or I already would have talked to her...

Two Words: Say it with Flowers!!!

seriously man no woman will say no to flowers, show up looking semi clean, buy some flowers, say excuse me ma'am I was no where in the neighborhood and decided to stop by, would you mind if I was to admire that truck of yours... and thats that, no offers, no pressure no ctiticism, this is just a Hello there neighboor visit, that's a nice truck ma'am, thank you for letting me look at it, have a nice day

you're welcome, ha ha

Chrispbrown36 08-01-2016 07:26 PM

Or I could just flag her down one of the times she drives by our house at 2 miles per hour watching to see what we are doing so she can call our landlord....ya she is one of those...

Will206 08-03-2016 02:18 PM

I hadn't looked in a while, had to come back and catch up on 10 pages. Looking great, as always Greg.

A couple of things...

I am in a similar situation on mufflers. I got pretty cheap welded Thrush mufflers. Previously this motor had stamped, bottom barrel turbo mufflers and it sounded pretty good, I can't see how this won't be an upgrade, but I too am a little concerned with drone, especially with long tube headers.

Also, I might just go have them welded, I am not convinced me or my harbor freight welder are up to the task.

I also have the same package from Innovate. I just wanted to be able to fine tune this thing ensure optimum A/F, I say good call.

I also have a related gauge package. I have elected to delete all the factory gauges and put together a $200 kit from Intellitronix, which gives me all digital gauges. They look very similar.

Here's a quick video of its first idle:

https://youtu.be/AKEP61owQ7M

Will206 08-03-2016 02:23 PM

Here's a youtube video of someone with the Intellitronix gauge set I have in a square:
(Mine are blue though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj12ez_KXHk

Gregski 08-03-2016 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will206 (Post 7673012)
I hadn't looked in a while, had to come back and catch up on 10 pages. Looking great, as always Greg.

Thank you so much, glad you swung back by Will

A couple of things...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will206 (Post 7673012)

Also, I might just go have them welded, I am not convinced me or my harbor freight welder are up to the task.

LOL, aint that the truth, having graduated from the College of Cheap Harbor Freight Tool Knowledge myself, I have this bit of wizdom to offer

first I hope you have their MIG or at least Flux Core / MIG combo machine and not just their Flux Core unit, (don't know what you got, ok, are you using a gas tank with your box or no tank? no tank means Flux Core)

so one thing that really transformed my HF MIG machine was tossing their cheap spool of wire that it came with and right away going to Home Depot and buying a spool of Lincoln name brand .030 wire, if I was to do it again I would got even thinner wire like the Lincoln .025 to ensure I would weld and not burn holes in the exhaust

then it is just a matter of figuring out your box settings, and honestly you play more with the heat knob ie amps than the wire speed, you set the wire speed to a low setting like a 2 and then just mess with the heat knob until the wire actually penetrates the metal and you can't tap the weld bead off with a hammer, if you can take a hammer and knock the bead off than the wire feed is too cold and you need to up the heat, also if it is popping it is too cold and the wire is bouncing off the metal, tap tap tap instead of melting into it

see what you have made me do, you made me get up on my welding soap box, sorry, hope that helps though

P.S. also an auto darkening welding helmet is a must especially for beginners the nod your head to make the old style helmets fall over your face was cool in the 50's ha ha