The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

harley87ta 08-07-2016 12:29 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

What's the part # of the recovery tank? I'm in need of one of those.

Gregski 08-07-2016 10:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by harley87ta (Post 7675967)
What's the part # of the recovery tank? I'm in need of one of those.

keep in mind I have not installed mine yet, so I can not vouch for it just yet, one intersting thing about it, is that on the box it shows the clear hose being connected to the bottom of the tank, the bottom nipple, however the bottle has two nipples one on the bottom and one on the top, that has me scratching my head, but maybe I is just over re acting The Greg Style, ha ha

also this is the universal kind

Dorman Coolant Reservoirs 54002

and they also make this cheaper baby brother one without the metal brackets (pronounced only a matter of time before the plastic cracks around the mounting holes, hee hee)

Dorman Coolant Reservoirs 603-001

and as always The Greg is just trying to help...

Gregski 08-07-2016 10:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
well I didn't wanna git two dirty yesterday so I just played around with the air cleaners, now this all started when my Mr. Gasket air cleaner housing came with what they a claimed to be a 3" air cleaner element, now you eye ball them all side by side and you tell me if that looks like 3" inches

in the pic 3" - 4" - 5" in that order ???

... man I had to go out to the garage and measure it and it's 2 and 5/8th" at best - no big deal, but had it been truly (what's with that word, what happened to the "e" I always misspell it, thinking it's truelly?) anywho, as I was ranting, all of this air cleaner buying could have been avoided had the 3" air cleaner actually been 3" but it looked so puny like it's been squashed or something, ah what ever Hot Rodders Fever

Gregski 08-07-2016 11:18 AM

2 Attachment(s)
ah the mandatory stare and compare

first pic - the barberic 5" air cleaner (way too big, who runs a 5" air cleaner anyway?!) jk

second pic - the much more civilized 4" air cleaner element

I know what you is thinkin' hey Greg when are you going to stain that gorgeous poplar hood stick? ha ha

Gregski 08-07-2016 11:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Truck Doing Truck Things

look the wife's out of town and I was left unsupervised so I scored these toolboxes on Craigslist for $60 bucks, they did look bigger in the pictures, hmmm - not the roller bearing kind but hey I needed something with drawers

harley87ta 08-07-2016 06:47 PM

Thanks for the part # I'll let you be the guinea pig. haha just kidding.

rusty76 08-07-2016 07:52 PM

Nice score

Gregski 08-10-2016 01:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
more of the Truck doing Truck things, scored some Bridgestone tires on TireRack for one of my other automobiles as they offered a $70 dollar rebate and had them mounted today for $40 bucks off the car

do you all recon the wife appreciates this type of hussle?

Gregski 08-10-2016 01:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Innovate Motor Sports dual function digital Vacuum / RPM gauge arrived can't wait to get that installed

P/N: 3851, MSRP $169

Hewfil1 08-10-2016 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7678898)
Innovate Motor Sports dual function digital Vacuum / RPM gauge arrived can't wait to get that installed

P/N: 3851, MSRP $169

Looks sexy.

Gregski 08-10-2016 08:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
just wanted to share what happened to my brand new LMC Truck arm rests in less than a year, I been driving the truck to work this week and pulled this arm rest right off while trying to shut the door to drive home after work

I totally do NOT recommend these, they are just foam wrapped in vinyl and have absolutely no structural support in them what so ever like the OEM ones did that lasted over 40 years

needless to say I am hugely disappointed

Gregski 08-11-2016 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another camping trip, watched the AFR gauges as we climbed to 4,000 feet

flashed 08-11-2016 08:46 PM

That sucks about your armrests ,hope you find some better ones .I'm not impressed with any of their parts but the catalog is nice.

y5mgisi 08-11-2016 10:15 PM

Fun! Arm rest situation is lame!

73FrankenTruck 08-12-2016 02:10 PM

I've just read all 180 pages of this over the past 4 days. Seriously impressive. The whole thread is amazing, and the cast of supporting characters (rich weyand, hatzie, rusty76, Titomas, & more) wealth of knowledge added so much. I'm in a similar boat (truck?): trying to balance work, wife, 3 kids, and scrape out time to work on my 73 GMC. I've bookmarked multiple pages for reference. Keep it up!

-C

Gregski 08-14-2016 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 73FrankenTruck (Post 7681335)
I've just read all 180 pages of this over the past 4 days. Seriously impressive. The whole thread is amazing, and the cast of supporting characters (rich weyand, hatzie, rusty76, Titomas, & more) wealth of knowledge added so much. I'm in a similar boat (truck?): trying to balance work, wife, 3 kids, and scrape out time to work on my 73 GMC. I've bookmarked multiple pages for reference. Keep it up!

-C

thank you and thank you for giving credit to the "supporting characters" though I prefer to call them The Starting Line Up! Really great group of people here very supportive and willing to share what they know. Both Rusty and I appreciate their comments very much.

Gregski 08-14-2016 06:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Truck Campin' is da Best! If you've been saying to yerself I gotta take the kids or the fam out there, well git on out there there is one more holiday weekend left ie Labor Day, so get those restrictor plates off them carbs and head for the woods

Home made kayak rack serving double duty as a towel rack and the tailgate well you know it can do a many things

and check it out, The Greg was doing his truck homework even whilst in da woods!

68Timber 08-16-2016 11:18 AM

Cool to see an old truck out doing truck things. Now that the resonators have been moved and you've had it out on the highway with the overdrive installed, is the exhaust note tame enough and how is it in overdrive?

Gregski 08-16-2016 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Timber (Post 7684869)
Cool to see an old truck out doing truck things. Now that the resonators have been moved and you've had it out on the highway with the overdrive installed, is the exhaust note tame enough and how is it in overdrive?

so glad you asked about the exhaust the horrible drone has moved from 1500 RPM to around 1000 it is awful and I am so getting rid of these Flowmaster Series 40 two chamber mufflers

I even called Flowmaster Technical Support and spoke to Bob he basically confirmed that that is just how the two chamber mufflers sound or one of their side effects, he recommended their three chamber Super 50 series but those also are the chamber design and he said they would still drone just less

at highway speeds they are fine, but maybe cause the old truck is so loud that I can't hear them, lol

so I went out and landed a set of slightly used Magnaflows for $120 for the pair (thanks be to Pontiac Mike, always looking out), can't wait to weld them in

79sierra 08-16-2016 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7685033)
so glad you asked about the exhaust the horrible drone has moved from 1500 RPM to around 1000 it is awful and I am so getting rid of these Flowmaster Series 40 two chamber mufflers

I even called Flowmaster Technical Support and spoke to Bob he basically confirmed that that is just how the two chamber mufflers sound or one of their side effects, he recommended their three chamber Super 50 series but those also are the chamber design and he said they would still drone just less

at highway speeds they are fine, but maybe cause the old truck is so loud that I can't hear them, lol

so I went out and landed a set of slightly used Magnaflows for $120 for the pair (thanks be to Pontiac Mike, always looking out), can't wait to weld them in

Hope those work out! let us know. I heard that the Magnaflows drone just as bad, don't know anyone personally that have them so it will great to get your feedback.

68Timber 08-16-2016 04:35 PM

I'm interested to see if you like the Magnaflows better too. If you don't mind, can you put a tape on them and post the LxWxH when you install them?

Chrispbrown36 08-16-2016 05:32 PM

Well that kinda sucks....I had just decided that the super 50's was the way I was going to go. I am looking for a low rumble but don't want the drone. I was interested in the Cherry Bomb Vortex mufflers, but the more I listen to the sound files on them the more I don't like the tone.....and the search goes on.

Jeramy 08-16-2016 09:05 PM

i put 2.5 inch pipe and thrush welded 2 chambers on mine but turned them out each side in front of the rear tires. absolutely no drone. was louder than expected until i reduced my cam lift now not really bad at all.

69heavychevy 08-16-2016 11:10 PM

I have the 40 series flows, x-pipe, long tubes, along with a thumpr cam and I have no drone at all. But when I floor it, it sounds beautiful :metal:

Gregski 08-17-2016 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeramy (Post 7685430)
i put 2.5 inch pipe and thrush welded 2 chambers on mine but turned them out each side in front of the rear tires. absolutely no drone. was louder than expected until i reduced my cam lift now not really bad at all.

cool, do you have long tube headers? word on the street is long tube headers are more prone to droning than stock exhaust manifolds, I am not sure if there is any truth to that, so just checking in?