The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 09-15-2018 10:25 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8342097)
Rusty is going to look great with the new hood! When do you start getting humidity issues with paint? And nicely done on the home-fab hood stiffeners. I folded a guy's hood for him at the Full Serve pumps at Chevron in the summer of '87...

are you kidding me right now bro, no seriously, did you just UPS some rain to us, I woke up this morning to rain drops, 5:50 AM, so I ranned outside in my choneys to roll up the winderz on my truck in the driveway and I wanted to roll up in a fetal position and weep like a baby cause last night I spent a couple hours block sanding the hood outside on those saw horses so I can paint it this morning

Fun Level = -42

Gregski 09-15-2018 05:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
well here we go, 10 cans and $180 dollars later, that's 8 cans of 4oz regular mix and 2 cans of semi gloss mix of 50% paint (2oz) and 50% flattner (2oz) to give it that SEMI 40 year aged in the sun matched look, ha ha so just a reminder

I am using single stage OMNI paint which is PPG's lesser known step half brother on his uncles side

Reminder: just cause you buying a 12oz can of aerosole paint don't mean you gettin' 12oz of paint, no sir, that can "empty" comes with about 7.5oz of special sauce to which the paint store adds 4oz of the paint you choose

Gregski 09-15-2018 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
so I did it again, once again I picked the windiest day thus far this year to paint outside on, honestly I don't know what possessed me to do it, I didn't notice till the first coat was on, and by that time I was determined to get this August project done in September, ha ha

note that trashcan wind wall behind the subject, it worked as effectively as a screen door on a submarine

How windy was it? It was so windy, that at one point I started panting down wind, ha ha.

Top Five Reason's Never To Paint Outside Again

1. Wind
2. Wind
3. Bad lighting / shadows
4. Bugs
5. and Wind

The Norwegian 09-16-2018 12:46 PM

Wow what a wonderful thread , its like an exiting book. Im sad now when i finally got up to date . Please dont quit this project !

Billy81 09-17-2018 12:12 AM

Again good Sir i am thoroughly impressed with your Joe Good enough worrk.

Gregski 09-21-2018 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Norwegian (Post 8345531)
Wow what a wonderful thread , its like an exiting book. Im sad now when i finally got up to date . Please dont quit this project !

Wow, thank you so much, it's the shot in the arm Rusty and I really needed. I can't believe it's been four years already, and looks like we are going to renew for Season 5, which may be our final season, ha ha.

Gregski 09-21-2018 11:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Last time I bathed my hood hinges and springs in acid, it weakened the springs, seriously. Now maybe it was cause I left them sitting in the acid/water juice for too long I don't know, but either way I didn't want to ruin my new(ish) set of hinges so I splurged on Metal Rescue from Home Depot and added enough water to submerge the pieces all the way, I think it was like a 4:1 ratio of water to solvent in the end, and it worked great

I thought I took a pic of the hinges in the bath, but I guess I didn't

I have a place on the side of the house where there are walls on three sides, well my garage on one side and the gate and the fence/neighbors house, so it's a nice nook to paint in

apologies for the horrible pics due to the shadows

Gregski 09-21-2018 11:28 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Hood... painted!

2 Attachment(s)
so with the help of Pontiac Mike we got the hood and the new old hinges installed, and it fits pretty good and actually pops up when you press the lever to open the hood, wow no more flat screw driver prying it up routine

so glad this project is over and done with, nothing like doing something over that you have already done did before

the swirls on the hood are actually dust, the lawn guy came during the week and kicked up dust and I tried to wipe it down but didn't get it all off

hood matches the newly painted fender but not the door cause the door hasn't been re sprayed yet, maybe some day

Gregski 09-21-2018 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy81 (Post 8346006)
Again good Sir i am thoroughly impressed with your Joe Good enough worrk.

ha ha, thank you, one thing at a time, and all the little things add up eventually just have fun and enjoy the process and figuring things out

Gregski 09-22-2018 12:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
there's my buddy, I no longer need to keep the blinders shut, cause he was so ugly

Gregski 09-22-2018 12:36 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Painted the Roll Pan

3 Attachment(s)
so almost 2 years to the day I painted the roll pan with this Plasti Dip product that did not turn out to be the color I wanted at all (totally did not match the cap of the spray can)

anyway so i removed the roll pan and sprayed it the same green as the hood, looks much better now

Rich84 09-24-2018 09:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Very nice..I'll show you ugly:
Attachment 1823853

Gregski 09-25-2018 09:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich84 (Post 8350601)
Very nice..I'll show you ugly:
Attachment 1823853

LOL, you win!

(I use a program called IrfanView to rotate and save my pics properly, it's a bit difficult to use at first buy I only use like 1% of the features, also sometimes rotating pics using Microsoft viewers just doesn't stick)

Rich84 09-25-2018 10:09 AM

Thanks for the tip..

Funny thing is this truck has no rot and is very solid. I just have to knock that ugly off of the hood.

LT7A 09-27-2018 10:09 AM

Dude, Rusty's looking sharp! That hood came out great despite the wind and all. And by the way, the rain wasn't from me -- we got doused too. I gotta say I think that A-833 or M-whatever whatever transmission is so cool. I know you are enamored of the "Firebird" pedigree of your current 4spd... But that A-833 -- lightweight, overdrive, plus 4:10s will be a lot of fun and still good cruising RPMs. How was the freeway driving when you had that transmission in? What are your current rear gears? It's probably in the thread and I swear I've read the whole thing but it's probably buried somewhere in the preceding 24,000 pages.

Wide Open 09-27-2018 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8352488)
It's probably in the thread and I swear I've read the whole thing but it's probably buried in somewhere in the preceding 24,000 pages.

Hahahaha! For real

Gregski 09-28-2018 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8352488)
... It's probably in the thread and I swear I've read the whole thing but it's probably buried somewhere in the preceding 24,000 pages.

The fact that you are unable to quote my thread verbatim whilst citing thread numbers from memory disappoints me.

LT7A 10-02-2018 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8353325)
The fact that you are unable to quote my thread verbatim whilst citing thread numbers from memory disappoints me.

Yeah, I know I let you down, but what about the transmission? And I didn't know that 4:10s were in the works.

Next time I'm in town we'll have to cruise Rusty through the capital grounds now that he's all sharp'd up!

MikeB 10-10-2018 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7688505)

Took no time at all to cut the down pipes off and weld up some of these 90° elbows.
Now we are able to spew Carbon Monoxide at two Priuses at the same time whilst stopped at a red light...

:lol: So funny.

I have no problems with hybrids -- just ugly cars like the Prius. Apparently the "look at me I'm an ugly hybrid" style makes a statement about the owner being environmentally conscious and morally superior.

Gregski 10-27-2018 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 8361281)
:lol: So funny.

I have no problems with hybrids -- just ugly cars like the Prius. Apparently the "look at me I'm an ugly hybrid" style makes a statement about the owner being environmentally conscious and morally superior.

The only thing worse than a Prius in front of you on the freeway is a Prius with an Uber sticker, and the only thing worse than that is a Prius with an Uber and a Lyft sticker!

Fact: Uber and Lyft stickers (subtract 10 MPH per sticker from the vehicles speed) are the opposite of Holey and MSD (add 20 horse power each)

Gregski 10-27-2018 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
so after two years and 15,000 noisy miles on my 833 overdrive transmission I finally am going to rebuild it

I ordered this rebuild kit from Brewer's Performance in Laura Ohio

Product ID: RBK-MY6

Price: $129.95
Plus the SYNCHRONIZER RINGS (+$49.95)

so $179 plus shipping

this will be a bit of a duplicate post to it's specific thread: What can be said about the 4-speed New Process NV833 overdrive manual transmission just to be sure people can find the info easily and hopefully it will help someone out

Gregski 10-27-2018 11:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
a week later we got the parts (they use old newspaper as wrapping paper - my kinda people) thumbs up

Jake Wade 10-27-2018 02:36 PM

Didn't you just rebuild a transmission? Is this a different one?

Gregski 10-28-2018 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Wade (Post 8372722)
Didn't you just rebuild a transmission? Is this a different one?

Yes I rebuilt a Saginaw 4 speed (no overdrive) that I bought on Craigslist. I got it so that I can remove my NV833 4 speed (with overdrive) transmission while still driving the truck to work.

Gregski 10-31-2018 12:41 AM

3 Attachment(s)
you've suffered through my last transmission rebuild so I will spare you all the gory details and just point out some differences between a standard 4 speed transmission like that Saginaw I rebuilt vs this NP833 Overdrive 4 speed one

on the Saginaw the gears in the transmission go 4, 3, 2, 1 from front to back of the gear box, (the gears on a Muncie transmission are ordered the same way)

on the NP833 (which is essentially a tricked out Dodge / MOPAR transmission) the 4th & 3rd gears are swapped so they go 3, 4, 2, 1 technically 4th is Overdrive and power always comes in to the transmission via the 3rd gear welded or I should say machined on the input shaft, this 3rd gear is always working / spinning regardless of what gear you are in - it makes the counter shaft spin

Typical power flow through the transmission engaged in 1st gear

Input Shaft...................................Output Shaft
==3rd=>...........................==1st=========>
............ll............................/\
............ll............................ll
............V............................ll
............====Cntr=Shft==>

The top pic is the main shaft out of the NP833 overdrive transmission, the next two pics show the corresponding gears on the counter shafts of the Saginaw and the NP833