The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

hatzie 06-19-2015 12:44 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich weyand (Post 7214795)
Get thee to a chiropractor. Ask around for a good one.

I destroyed part of my back (herniated disk at L4-L5, and dislocated the ones on either side of it) 30 years ago. A chiropractor got me back into shape. I have gone to the chiropractor once a month to keep things where they should be for the last 30 years.

It's kept me out of surgery and out of pain. Anyone I know who ever had disks fused eventually had more problems.

Agreed. All five of the folks I know that have had medically fused vertebrae said they regret it every day... don't let an MD touch your spine. Find the guys people swear by rather than swear at.
If you're willing to travel two hours Dr Canada in Castro Valley is very good but I bet there are guys that are just as good in Sacramento.

68post 06-19-2015 02:07 PM

I wouldn't ride two hours each way for back pain because sitting is very bad for your lower back, (ie.. sitting down is twelve times worse for your back than laying down , and standing is four times harder than laying down, per one of several chiropractors I've met).

My 1st problems started @ 17 yrs old and I'll soon be 57. I carry and install garage doors for a living... ( wrong occupation - I know...! )
After several trips to the Chiro Dr. I can educate others on how to readjust mine (don't try this at home without proper experiance).

You need a muscle relaxer and a pain killer taken together to relax your spasming muscles and let the "out-of-place" joint be able slip back into place. But you need your back manually adjusted to achieve this.

I'l stop right here.

greg64 06-19-2015 02:35 PM

Greg, it's okay, you deserve a break after 2000 posts in the Rusty topic. :lol:

bnoon 06-19-2015 03:06 PM

Did your neighbors get pissed about the acid stains and wire wheel noise and vote you out?

Holy cow!!! Sorry to hear about your back. Another chiro-goin-guy here too and no issues at all since the sneeze while reaching for a Kleenex incident of '03 that sent me to the chiro in the first place. Amazing how easily you can go from totally fine to drop to your knees pain in an instant when your back goes out. I feel for ya!

Gregski 06-20-2015 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnoon (Post 7215039)
... Another chiro-goin-guy here too and no issues at all since the sneeze while reaching for a Kleenex incident of '03 that sent me to the chiro in the first place. Amazing how easily you can go from totally fine to drop to your knees pain in an instant when your back goes out. I feel for ya!

LOL, thanks, sounds like my buddy who was a triathlete ironman type, he sneezed one day while sitting up on his bed and messed up his back so bad he eventually needed some sort of surgery and that ended his triathlon career no joke, he can't run now he kayaks and rides a bike only.

81GMCSierra1500 06-20-2015 02:09 AM

Spent two afternoons reading through your thread like a magazine... Man, what a cool story! I am hoping to start something like this with my '81 Sierra Classic. She hasn't seen a piece of road for over a month now, she needs a hip transplant... Catastrophic differential seal failure likely caused by plugged vent hose... She's going in to the Doc's office via rollback on Monday... Poor old 'gal... I've already done lots of work though, transmission swap, electronics, engine work (still in progress), and much, much more... Awesome thread though, Greg! Looking forward to hearing more!

Gregski 06-20-2015 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 81GMCSierra1500 (Post 7215521)
Spent two afternoons reading through your thread like a magazine... Man, what a cool story! ... Awesome thread though, Greg! Looking forward to hearing more!

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it, and hope you are taking pics of your trucks convalescence

Gregski 06-20-2015 09:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
had to update mine and Rusy's build crest

Gregski 06-20-2015 10:02 AM

4 Attachment(s)
we're gonna try to give it a go nice and slowly this morning, need to put some paint on the red primered areas of the bed sides, we're well past going for purdy at this time, we're in Def Con Four, git 'er done mode

pardon the slight pitty dramatizations in the photos, you'll know what I'm talkin' about

Gregski 06-20-2015 10:04 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Painting Bed Sides

4 Attachment(s)
we learned the best time to paint is in the morning, we also know the best time to water the lawn is in the morning, so we put one and two together, carry the one, and that's right folks remember to turn off the sprinklers, YES EVEN THE LOW PRESSURE DRIP SYSTEM - just sayin' more on that later, LOL

first coat going on

Chaplain 06-20-2015 10:31 AM

Be healed...

Gregski 06-20-2015 11:17 AM

5 Attachment(s)
final coat(s) of paint on the bed sides

Gregski 06-20-2015 12:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
well we're going to use some baking soda and water to neutralize that phosphoric acid wash and then hose it off real good and scrub it with a scotch bright, and that's as good as the frame is going to get, it is Paint Over Rust (POR-15) after all and not Paint Over peRfection (see what I did there) hee hee

greg64 06-20-2015 02:41 PM

That looks pretty decent for a tough job and a guy with a bad back. ;)

Titomars 06-20-2015 04:01 PM

If my back was just a little better I'd be offering up my assistance this weekend. I figure two dudes with toasted backs might equal one dude with a decent back. ;)

68Timber 06-20-2015 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7215697)
Be healed...

:lol:

hatzie 06-20-2015 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7215666)
had to update mine and Rusy's build crest

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Gregski 06-21-2015 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7215859)
That looks pretty decent for a tough job and a guy with a bad back. ;)

You are too kind Greg! LOL

Chevy_mud_truck 06-21-2015 10:05 AM

I feel you pain on the bad back I got hit by a chunk of rock at work and messed up 5 disk in my that was three years ago and I still haven't got back to work yet and I 35 and feel 90 sometime

Gregski 06-21-2015 11:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
slapped some rusty metal primer on the back of the cab yesterday in between moving boxes to the new house, LOL

Gregski 06-21-2015 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevy_mud_truck (Post 7216525)
I feel you pain on the bad back I got hit by a chunk of rock at work and messed up 5 disk in my that was three years ago and I still haven't got back to work yet and I 35 and feel 90 sometime

my god man, wow, that sounds painful, take care of yourself

Gregski 06-21-2015 11:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
then I prepped the back of the cab for paint, this morning, needless to say I picked the windiest day of the year to do so, check out that fallen tree branch, that's from last night

Gregski 06-21-2015 11:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
first coat going on

Gregski 06-21-2015 01:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
couple more coats later

81GMCSierra1500 06-21-2015 02:44 PM

Greg, it's quite cool that you found a color that matches quite well to original! You got lucky on that one... She looks great! Keep it up!