The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Lower Ball Joint Issue (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=824361)

lkt1954 07-31-2021 07:40 PM

Lower Ball Joint Issue

I'm in the process of installing a coil over conversion from POL on a 69 chevy truck (bare fame). I have the upper and lower control arms and coil overs installed on both sides.
When I go to put the spindle the right side the castle nut will not screw very far down on the lower ball joint stud, it will only screw down to where the castles start- then it binds up. I tried the castle nut from the other side same thing, yet both castle nuts screw on the other lower ball joint stud just fine.
I thought maybe a damaged thread, so I took a 5/8"-18NF die and ran it all the way down the stud to clean the threads, a little resistance but not much. The second time I ran the die on the stud I could do it by hand till it bottomed out. Tried the castle nut again and the results were the same it will go as far as where the castle start and no further. I didn't try to force for fear of galling the nut to the stud.
It's almost like the shaft is a little larger and the nut stop there, yet I can run a die down it with no problem.
The only thing I have not done is run a tap through the nut and I haven't because it goes on the other side shaft just fine.
Any ideas of what could be going on here?
Thanks

mongocanfly 07-31-2021 11:15 PM

Re: Lower Ball Joint Issue

I was gonna say ...tap thru the nut...could be just a bur on the castles..

lkt1954 08-01-2021 09:17 AM

That was my first thought also, yet the castle nuts both fitting the other ball joint makes me hesitate to go spend $ 20.00 on a tap.

SCOTI 08-02-2021 11:51 AM

Do both nuts hang up in the same spot on the BJ stud in question?

lkt1954 08-02-2021 01:08 PM

Yes both nuts hang up in the same spot on this stud, but do not hang up on the other lower ball joint stud.

SCOTI 08-02-2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkt1954 (Post 8952829)
Yes both nuts hang up in the same spot on this stud, but do not hang up on the other lower ball joint stud.

I would contact your parts source & discuss the situation before moving forward. See how they think you should proceed. Most likely, if you tighten the current one w/o them understanding the issue before then & the threads are jacked after, it becomes your problem.

Since you ran a die down it already, if you're concerned about the threads still galling I'd say your best option is to source another lower BJ & return the one that has this issue.

crazy longhorn 08-06-2021 03:50 PM

I would almost bet, that you have a 73-up spindle.....the taper is different on the upper ball joint, & the outer tie rod. The bottom ball joint , should be the same(71-72), as the 73-87 on the 1/2 ton truck. If you talk 3/4 ton truck, 71- 87, should be the same;):smoke: longhorn

crazy longhorn 08-08-2021 03:41 PM

OOps....I missed that it was the lower ball joint issue? From what I understand, it is a 1 side only deal? Could it be that you have 2 different yr spindles, that had a different taper.....or one ball joint is the wrong yr? Scotty, or Capt fab, can probably tell you more;) longhorn

lkt1954 08-08-2021 11:27 PM

It could be a bad ball joint, however the castle nut from it fit the other lower ball joint just fine.
I did find out the threads are MM, so I'm getting a M16-1.25 die to see if it will clean up the threads before I pull the control arm to press in another ball joint.