The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Tach suggestions, location, but not in dash (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=822893)

Asshat 06-18-2021 08:45 PM

Tach suggestions, location, but not in dash

Wondering where you guys put your tach? Mounted under the dash or clamped to the column?
Open to suggestions!

I know it would be nice to install in the dash, however, I just don’t want to take it apart right now.

Thanks!

AcampoDave 06-18-2021 08:55 PM

Re: Tach suggestions, location, but not in dash

I clamped mine to the column and I made it's wiring into a little harness with a plug kit on the end so I could easily remove it for a show or whatever. Thing is I never remove it anyway.

Asshat 06-18-2021 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcampoDave (Post 8934044)
I clamped mine to the column and I made it's wiring into a little harness with a plug kit on the end so I could easily remove it for a show or whatever. Thing is I never remove it anyway.

Any pics? What brand? Did you buy it on Summit or someplace like that?

Steeveedee 06-18-2021 09:42 PM

My FiL mounted a tach at the far left of the dash at the bottom of the A-pillar.

cwcarpenter98 06-18-2021 10:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I mounted mine on the column, but I just zip tied it. Haven't had a zip tie break at all in the approximate 4 years it's been there. Also, if I need to remove the cluster, all I have to do is rotate it over to the side

AcampoDave 06-18-2021 11:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asshat (Post 8934046)
Any pics? What brand? Did you buy it on Summit or someplace like that?

Its an old Suntune mini that i bought brand new waaay back when. It came with a big ol' hoseclamp for column mounting. That location provides for a quick unobstructed view too. I kind of use it as a speedometer since mine is hopelessly broken anyhow.

Asshat 06-18-2021 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8934090)
I mounted mine on the column, but I just zip tied it. Haven't had a zip tie break at all in the approximate 4 years it's been there. Also, if I need to remove the cluster, all I have to do is rotate it over to the side

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcampoDave (Post 8934097)
Its an old Suntune mini that i bought brand new waaay back when. It came with a big ol' hoseclamp for column mounting. That location provides for a quick unobstructed view too. I kind of use it as a speedometer since mine is hopelessly broken anyhow.

Can you guys recommend a good one?

SOON2BLAZE 06-19-2021 02:19 AM

You will need a tach for a 6 cyl. Simplest solution is one from eBay that doesn't require a transmitter box. I would look at a Moon Eyes if you want big one or a small one such as the Super Pro 81316. The small one could also be placed in your cluster at a later time with another face on it.....

search 81316 and there's a NIB for 60. shipped

cwcarpenter98 06-19-2021 09:02 AM

I used an Equus tach that I got from the parts store. One of the LED backlights failed, but other than that, it has worked well for me. It can do 4, 6, or 8 cyl and points or HEI dizzys
It was fairly inexpensive back then

Paul Y 06-19-2021 12:41 PM

I used this one on my 56 PU.

Does 4, 6 and 8 cylinders. Wouldn't necessarily trust it in a high winding 8K small block but in a steady away 6 cylinder it will do you fine.

Plus it looks the part.

https://www.mooneyesusa.com/v/vspfil...che=1384539363

https://www.mooneyesusa.com/MOONEYES.../mpg5000tm.htm

As for location attach it to the column as per others or stick it on the top of the dash and use the holes for the speaker to run the wires and secure it.

P. :D

AcampoDave 06-19-2021 12:45 PM

I was googling around one day for a friend trying to look for a Suntune tach, but all I found that was close to mine was Actron/Bosch. The reviews on Amazon are pretty strong though https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bosch+tac...l_5ttj5aczp2_e This one most closely resembles mine with regard to it's appearance and 2 5/8 inch size. https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-SP0F000...4121142&sr=8-4

Klas 06-21-2021 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made a cluster housing out of fiberglass so I could mount tach, temp, oil pressure and volt gauge. Gauges are small but readable.

vin63 06-21-2021 10:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's where I mounted mine.

cwcarpenter98 06-21-2021 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I forgot I had mounted it on the bottom of the dash for a bit before I moved it to the column. I like the column mount better because I don't have to take my eyes off the road as much to see the tach on the column compared to below the dash.
Sorry for the sideways pic

Paul Y 06-22-2021 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vin63 (Post 8935117)
Here's where I mounted mine.

Very nice Vin!

Do you really swing that Poncho to 6K ++?

vin63 06-22-2021 08:41 AM

Thanks! It made peak HP at 5900 RPM, and I have taken it up to there a few times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Y (Post 8935211)
Very nice Vin!

Do you really swing that Poncho to 6K ++?

my04 06-27-2021 09:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
On the column, rotated to the right side.

Attachment 2110620

Asshat 06-30-2021 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up an Auto Tune tach, hopefully, it will work.

AcampoDave 06-30-2021 10:28 PM

Cool, it'll be good to know your freeway rpms and shift points and all that. I'm kinda curious myself since you have the overdrive and all, maybe you can keep this thread alive by letting us know.

Asshat 06-30-2021 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcampoDave (Post 8938730)
Cool, it'll be good to know your freeway rpms and shift points and all that. I'm kinda curious myself since you have the overdrive and all, maybe you can keep this thread alive by letting us know.

Definitely!
I also just found out a friend of mine has a good friend that owns a rear end/differential shop in LA. Now I have some place to go, and hopefully, a good source of info!

slepysal 07-19-2021 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A little late but here is mine
Attachment 2115367

AcampoDave 07-19-2021 11:41 PM

Now that this thread is back, how did the tach work out Mr Hat? What are your freeway rpms? Overdrive vs. 4th gear and all that

Asshat 07-20-2021 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcampoDave (Post 8947434)
Now that this thread is back, how did the tach work out Mr Hat? What are your freeway rpms? Overdrive vs. 4th gear and all that

Hey Dave, it was a busy few days and I have not yet had the truck out on the highway. After 4th of July, the old wagon and BBQ ended up in the back of the bed. Gotta get it stored before I can drive the truck. In addition, my 2nd grandchild was born on the the 15th!
I know I’m just making excuses, best I can do right now. I do mean to keep this thread going and get the rpm info out there, I am also curious what rpm I will be running at 65.

MT65 07-21-2021 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asshat (Post 8947451)
Hey Dave, it was a busy few days and I have not yet had the truck out on the highway. After 4th of July, the old wagon and BBQ ended up in the back of the bed. Gotta get it stored before I can drive the truck. In addition, my 2nd grandchild was born on the the 15th!
I know I’m just making excuses, best I can do right now. I do mean to keep this thread going and get the rpm info out there, I am also curious what rpm I will be running at 65.

For your rpm at unknown speeds, go to tiresize.com, there are some equations there to help you, put in your known values, it will give you your unknown…..easier than mounting a tach….

Paul Y 07-22-2021 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MT65 (Post 8947872)
For your rpm at unknown speeds, go to tiresize.com, there are some equations there to help you, put in your known values, it will give you your unknown…..easier than mounting a tach….

Yea... But a tach is COOOOOOLLLLLLL.