The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1969 K10 CST Full Restoration (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=786335)

Madkidd007 08-06-2019 09:25 PM

Re: 1969 K10 CST Full Restoration

I’m gonna have to give Tim crap about selling you a hood I would have loved to get. But with that said do you have the old hood in athens? I may wanna help you recoup some money, text me if you have my number still I’m on nightshift the next two nights.

IronCanine 08-07-2019 10:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wish I was showing you this pic to illustrate the factory style primer finish line at the hump (I guess I kind of am...); but really it's to comment on another issue. I had read all the threads on the TH350/NP205 conversion issues for 69 trucks. Especially after realizing we had to slide the frame rail transfer case mount back a bit... I thought I had all our bases covered and did not expect to have an interference. Nevertheless once the cab bolts were torqued down, we were too close for comfort between the cab floor and the transfer case-though not physically touching. We considered (I believe) all variables. I honestly still think we should have had a bit more room than we did...but in light of evidence to the contrary the collective decision was made to shim the transfer case adapter cross member. Not an easy job (or decision) at this stage, but Eric tackled it last night. Fortunately it didn't take much in the way of shim thickness to get the desired result.

IronCanine 08-07-2019 10:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Now on to more fun stuff. Eric starting loading up both sides of the firewall. An easier job before the front fenders are on. A funny note about the brake pedal mounting bracket...This one was painted black from the factory and the one on the Blazer was raw. Again we mimicked what we had here.

Madkidd007 08-07-2019 11:14 PM

It’s the little things like the cushion on the throttle pedal that get me. Had my truck over 16 years and never would have thought about that

IronCanine 08-08-2019 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madkidd007 (Post 8572556)
It’s the little things like the cushion on the throttle pedal that get me. Had my truck over 16 years and never would have thought about that

That's all Big E.

Ol Blue K20 08-08-2019 10:07 AM

It's looking more like a truck. Brake pedal assembly looks nice

IronCanine 08-11-2019 10:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
We worked all weekend trying to get the firewall assembly and associated installations done. Not as far along as I might have hoped, but it wasn't for lack of effort. The main goal was to get the A/C components in which meant wiring and the center stack. I cleaned up and reused the Stewart Warner speedometer adapter. It codes out as correct for the gear we're running. But it is tall and really puts the cable at the floor.

IronCanine 08-11-2019 10:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
As a rule I try to highlight positive vendor experiences, but I must confess that I am disappointed with Classic Auto Air(Original Air Group). When the time came to send our A/C parts off for restoration, my preference was and still is (board member) F.A.A.benny. Unfortunately at the time I could not get in touch with him. We collected our pieces and sent them to CAA. They had them a while, charged us a fair bit and sent back components that were a mixed bag of OK and kind of crummy. Old broken gaskets still on parts, incorrect finishes...and we were missing some pieces. We remedied things ourselves. I ordered what we needed and scavenged parts (from my poor 1 owner 71 that has been pilfered without mercy). But that does slow down the process when you have to pick/pull/restore as you go. But we're close. I'd hoped to have a good old nest of snakes pic for you, but alas we had to call it a night. Shout out to Pete for the referral to Zip-Corvette for the brass cap and correct foil Harrison decal.

Edit: In fairness, CAA was coming off a hurricane when we sent everything. But Benny will do my next one or I will.

DeadheadNM 08-13-2019 09:39 PM

Making quick work and it all looks impeccable!

Which manufacturer did the electrical harnesses and are you pleased with the quality?

IronCanine 08-13-2019 11:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8575855)
Making quick work and it all looks impeccable!

Which manufacturer did the electrical harnesses and are you pleased with the quality?

Thanks Pete. Mostly M&H. No real issues...other than the tape on the terminal end at the compressor (which you can see in the pics above). We've got to replace that with some heat shrink.

Column is another KevsClassics beauty and is mostly in. Thanks Kevin!

Ol Blue K20 08-15-2019 09:31 AM

It's looking great!

IronCanine 08-15-2019 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8576583)
It's looking great!

Thanks Dale!

IronCanine 08-16-2019 08:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You know that feeling like you forgot to put something on the engine before you dropped the cab? I do. Not fun but we got it.

IronCanine 08-16-2019 08:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
When I bought an NOS prop valve for the Blazer it was the last one on a shelf in a Georgia dealership. At the time the parts guy said there were only 20 left in the system nation wide. When I called to get one last year there was only one left and it was in a dealership in Virginia. She's out of the box and on a truck now. Brake system compete save for one wire. A little more wiring and plumbing to do and it's time to start hanging some sheet metal.

DeadheadNM 08-16-2019 09:34 PM

Classy. Love it.

IronCanine 08-17-2019 07:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Cleaned up and painted the vacuum reservoir. All AC vacuum lines terminated except the one to the heater bypass valve.

IronCanine 08-17-2019 07:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic I've been looking for. 10lbs of stuff in a 5lb bag. (The screws that come with the reproduction glove box liner are wrong and will be replaced.)

Also I haven't noticed a thread on it, but for the 70 Blazer and this 69, the replacement door jamb switches commonly for sale are too long...requiring disassembly and shortening of all components (shaft, sleeve and spring).

IronCanine 08-17-2019 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8577355)
Classy. Love it.

Thanks my boy.

DeadheadNM 08-17-2019 10:13 PM

Tell me about the vacuum hoses you guys used for the ac controller. I couldn’t find a good source for hoses of the same OD and repurposed oem examples for the k20 and the blazer.

IronCanine 08-17-2019 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8577832)
Tell me about the vacuum hoses you guys used for the ac controller. I couldn’t find a good source for hoses of the same OD and repurposed oem examples for the k20 and the blazer.

I don't know how close we are to OE on the OD to be honest. I'll check it when I'm back at the truck. Because I do have the invoice with me, I can tell you the NAPA part number is H-457. I couldn't get that to come up as a good number just now over at NapaOnline when I went searching for specs. But I bought it from, shall we say an 'established', NAPA...so it's conceivably old stock. But my method was simplistic, "here's my OE tee, what fits?". I'll try and get you better info today or tomorrow on the OD.

Madkidd007 08-17-2019 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCanine (Post 8577838)
I don't know how close we are to OE on the OD to be honest. I'll check it when I'm back at the truck. Because I do have the invoice with me, I can tell you the NAPA part number is H-457. I couldn't get that to come up as a good number just now over at NapaOnline when I went searching for specs. But I bought it from, shall we say an 'established', NAPA...so it's conceivably old stock. But my method was simplistic, "here's my OE tee, what fits?". I'll try and get you better info today or tomorrow on the OD.

Correct number is H457, technically washer hose and thicker wall than standard vacuum hose. Oh did I ever mention to you that I work partime at the store on Atlanta highway, which owns the watkinsville store. Even though that store has been there forever you’d be amazed the inventory they go thru. Hey if you’re at it tomorrow text me and I’ll bring those shocks over.

IronCanine 08-19-2019 10:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8577832)

Here's a pic of what we used next to OE. You're right, there is an OD difference. The OE line has a larger outside diameter. I haven't noticed that it's a problem on the firewall...but I do have to order a new 3 hole grommet as I don't seem to have a new one in our ever dwindling cache of parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madkidd007 (Post 8577869)
Correct number is H457, technically washer hose and thicker wall than standard vacuum hose. Oh did I ever mention to you that I work partime at the store on Atlanta highway, which owns the watkinsville store. Even though that store has been there forever you’d be amazed the inventory they go thru. Hey if you’re at it tomorrow text me and I’ll bring those shocks over.

Thanks for the correction. That's cool that you've spent some time at NAPA. I spent three happy years of my life behind a CarQuest parts counter. Back when it was catalogues and the only search engine was your brain....thanks for the offer on the shocks. But we took yesterday off. We've been hitting it pretty hard and I've spent every spare minute at Eric's working. I'm worried I'm going to wear out my welcome.

argonaut 08-19-2019 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCanine (Post 8572535)
I wish I was showing you this pic to illustrate the factory style primer finish line at the hump (I guess I kind of am...); but really it's to comment on another issue. I had read all the threads on the TH350/NP205 conversion issues for 69 trucks. Especially after realizing we had to slide the frame rail transfer case mount back a bit... I thought I had all our bases covered and did not expect to have an interference. Nevertheless once the cab bolts were torqued down, we were too close for comfort between the cab floor and the transfer case-though not physically touching. We considered (I believe) all variables. I honestly still think we should have had a bit more room than we did...but in light of evidence to the contrary the collective decision was made to shim the transfer case adapter cross member. Not an easy job (or decision) at this stage, but Eric tackled it last night. Fortunately it didn't take much in the way of shim thickness to get the desired result.

There are cross members with different depths. I found this out based on a similar experience to yours. One has a couple inches more drop, and that's probably the one that you need.

IronCanine 08-19-2019 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by argonaut (Post 8578953)
There are cross members with different depths. I found this out based on a similar experience to yours. One has a couple inches more drop, and that's probably the one that you need.

Thanks for the post. I was aware that there were different cross members. What confounds me (still) on this was that we used a matched set (cross member, transmission, transfer case, transfer case adapter). All came from the same 1970 that they left the factory with. The variables were the 1969 St Louis frame, the 1969 Fremont cab, new cab mounts and new "transmission" mounts. And we did in fact clear, but it just seemed too tight. The transfer case frame mount was moved back 1-7/8" to adjust for the NP205, but it's correctly positioned as low as it can go on the frame rail. The shims may not be necessary, but they're not visually a problem and I like having a little space there.

IronCanine 08-20-2019 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For us this exercises a bit of a demon. The one thing we didn't replace on the Blazer was the boot on the intermediate steering shaft because it looked good. Cleaned everything up, greased it and put it back together. And it leaked. We did not repeat this mistake. InLine Tube (gasp) has this available as a replacement part for Chevelles. It fits our trucks just fine too. Here's hoping this one is job done.