The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

TKCR 09-28-2021 10:08 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
You must have a Non-tilt seat. Thats what those are for, to cover the hinge once the seatback is installed on the bottom.

Gregski 09-28-2021 10:22 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8977681)
You must have a Non-tilt seat. Thats what those are for, to cover the hinge once the seatback is installed on the bottom.

Yep, thank you.

Gregski 09-29-2021 11:26 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
Ha, I knew I shouldn't wait on 'em pliers

Gregski 09-30-2021 10:57 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8964066)
I had to find some pictures to duplicate and edit, to show how and where these tracks bolt to the bottom of the seat frames. Now had GM had the weld nuts in all these locations, then the frames could have been used with both the 73-76 AND 77-80 tracks.
1st pic is the 73-76 and their bolt locations.

Thanks TKCR do you have a pic of the passenger side rail and spring for the 73-76 please?

Gregski 09-30-2021 11:00 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
4 Attachment(s)
how hard can this be?

Gregski 09-30-2021 11:03 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
3 Attachment(s)
my goodness these new springs are sturdy you can so tell the difference, I feel like I can pick the seat up by a couple springs in each hand they are that firm and strong

and check out the support spring on the driver side edge, yup that's how us Semi Pros do it!

Gregski 09-30-2021 11:06 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
2 Attachment(s)
and just like with the back rest, we first throw down that black thingie (actual technical term we Semi Pros like to throw around at the make believe shop)

Gregski 09-30-2021 11:08 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
and once again Everybody wanna be Gangstah, unitl it's time to do some Gangstah stuff! am I right fellas?

these be the holes for them roller blades

Gregski 09-30-2021 11:12 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
4 Attachment(s)
and the foamie foam goes on next

Gregski 09-30-2021 11:15 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
4 Attachment(s)
show us the back side, hold on a second, jeez

not too shabby if I do say so myself

Gregski 09-30-2021 11:20 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
3 Attachment(s)
next we used our finger to locate the holes for the back rest, then marked them with a silver Sharpie and used our Hole Puncher 3000 to pierce and cauterize 'em

Gregski 09-30-2021 11:22 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
and the rails go on

Gregski 09-30-2021 11:25 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
5 Attachment(s)
and here is the finished product, our son was home from college so he helped me bolt on the back, it's really a two person job if you don't want to tear the pleather

Gregski 09-30-2021 11:27 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by blazer2007 (Post 8977641)
Make sure when you do the other seat bottom or top that the sewing lines match to the the other.

Thanks for the heads up, your comment was in the back of my head as I was doing the bottom, and I checked the lines a couple times to make sure they matched. I think I did alright

Gregski 09-30-2021 11:36 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
4 Attachment(s)
and our daughter helped me carry the seat to the truck and put it in, also a two person job if you don't want to scratch your newly painted floors

man oh man! what a ride, what a difference, ladies and gentlemen please treat yourselves and move this upgrade to the top of your project list

Gregski 09-30-2021 11:39 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
I just want to take a moment and thank the people who suggested/insisted I do the seat myself, YOU WERE RIGHT

I don't think the shop I would have taken it into would have replaced the springs or taken the frame to bare metal and primed and painted it, not cause they are not capable just because it would triple the cost

I am sooooo glad I did this, I am so glad I spent the time and de rusted the frame and got lucky and found new springs for the seat, and listened to the Seat Maiden TKCR and bought the cover from USA1

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR STICKING WITH ME I am so happy with the results

Gregski 09-30-2021 11:42 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
lastly, went cruisin' tonight, hit Dos Coyotes for a Southwest Spicy Chicken Burrito (I think I earned it) and the truck ran great, guys and gals at the risk of sounding insane I tell you these old trucks have a soul, I honestly believe that, I know for a fact that Rusty senses he is going to be sold soon, he hasn't ran this good since the trip we made to buy him the new LS engine for the LS Swap, ha ha

4u2nv 10-01-2021 06:27 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
WOW , nice job on the seat , It's rewarding when you pull a job off like that , you never know your talents till you try .

Blue GMC 10-01-2021 08:26 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Now your back won’t hurt after a drive. All cars know when their day is coming most of mine knew and acted up to help me not feel bad about dumping them. 64 Belvedere ac blew up the day before she was to be picked up. 92 Taurus dash lit up like a Christmas tree when I pulled onto a used car lot. 98 Cherokee committed suicide into a guard rail on the highway. They know their number is up.

TKCR 10-01-2021 08:56 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8978476)
Thanks TKCR do you have a pic of the passenger side rail and spring for the 73-76 please?

Pics for the 73-76. The passenger side does not get a spring.

Gregski 10-01-2021 09:44 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4u2nv (Post 8978549)
WOW , nice job on the seat , It's rewarding when you pull a job off like that , you never know your talents till you try .

thank you so much, I really appreciate your kind words

Gregski 10-01-2021 09:46 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue GMC (Post 8978570)
Now your back won’t hurt after a drive. All cars know when their day is coming most of mine knew and acted up to help me not feel bad about dumping them. 64 Belvedere ac blew up the day before she was to be picked up. 92 Taurus dash lit up like a Christmas tree when I pulled onto a used car lot. 98 Cherokee committed suicide into a guard rail on the highway. They know their number is up.

OMG that is so true isn't it, as I read how each different car treated you I could totally see it happening, in a very Clark Grizwalt(esq) way

Gregski 10-01-2021 09:56 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8978580)
Pics for the 73-76. The passenger side does not get a spring.

thank you so much T, that's exactly what I was looking for, so I'm not crazy, there is no matching large spring on the passenger side, and I just spent 4 hours tearing up my garage looking for it? so whats that hole in the rail bracket for?

LT7A 10-01-2021 11:33 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Wow, that seat came out great! It provided us with lots of entertainment, and now you know it's done right, all the way through. I kind of miss the daily geographical updates on the seat cover location, so maybe you can keep us caught up on the hog ring pliers, even though you don't need them anymore.

PS: if you're really going to sell Rusty, please do it when I'm not looking because it will make me sad. Don't mind me, I'm borderline automotive-sentimental (treatable, but no known cure). I've only ever sold one of my vehicles, and wish I hadn't.

Wgesnerjr 10-01-2021 01:17 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
I will be sad to see Rusty go to a new owner, but I understand the circumstances. ( I have a kid in college, my truck would find a new owner for a year's worth of tuition, room, food and board at Georgia Southern )

Please make the sale conditional on the new owner starting their own thread here. I'm suggesting Rusty 2.0 or Beta Rusty! Let the new owner know Rusty is a celebrity and must be treated like one. He will be followed like a Kardashian is followed by the paparazzi! Our group is nationwide, and we're watching! :wave:

Gregski 10-01-2021 01:32 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wgesnerjr (Post 8978656)
I will be sad to see Rusty go to a new owner, but I understand the circumstances. ( I have a kid in college, my truck would find a new owner for a year's worth of tuition, room, food and board at Georgia Southern )

Please make the sale conditional on the new owner starting their own thread here. I'm suggesting Rusty 2.0 or Beta Rusty! Let the new owner know Rusty is a celebrity and must be treated like one. He will be followed like a Kardashian is followed by the paparazzi! Our group is nationwide, and we're watching! :wave:

thanks, sounds like a great idea, though I will weep like a baby if they decide to C notch it, and document it all for us to see on here, ha ha

kipps 10-01-2021 05:15 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wgesnerjr (Post 8978656)
Please make the sale conditional on the new owner starting their own thread here.

I've seen at least one build thread on this forum that followed one truck through two owners. The first owner simply stopped doing the regular updates, and the second owner updated the thread instead.

Gregski 10-01-2021 05:21 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wgesnerjr (Post 8978656)
Please make the sale conditional on the new owner starting their own thread here. I'm suggesting Rusty 2.0 or Beta Rusty! Let the new owner know Rusty is a celebrity and must be treated like one. He will be followed like a Kardashian is followed by the paparazzi! Our group is nationwide, and we're watching! :wave:

Wow, you guys really like this rig that much? I honestly don't know what to say. (for once)

https://c.tenor.com/rqJigJfNUBgAAAAC...er-simpson.gif

kipps 10-01-2021 05:50 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8978762)
Wow, you guys really like this rig that much? I honestly don't know what to say. (for once)

Without a doubt, it's the best-known squarebody on this forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8978666)
thanks, sounds like a great idea, though I will weep like a baby if they decide to C notch it, and document it all for us to see on here, ha ha

Eh, I don't know. I think it would be pretty cool if someone C-notched it, sells it to someone else who converts it to a lifted k10, then another owner reverts it back to a stock-height c10.

The more iterations a truck goes through, the more "street-cred" it has. Rusty has already had quite a few different versions already, particularly in his drivetrain.

To illustrate, two of the most iconic trucks on our farm look nothing like their factory-original configuration. There's a 1960 c30 that started out life as a dually flatbed truck. It was shortened to pickup length, the duals were removed, and a pickup box was fitted. It was driven to Alaska and back with a homemade slide-in camper, then sold to our family as a beat-around farm truck. The second truck started out life as an early-40's Ford schoolbus. Sometime in the early 50's, the schoolbus body was scrapped, a 1940's Ford truck cab was fitted instead, and the really long chassis was fitted with a flatbed and stake sides. It was used for a move from Kansas to Virginia, then hauled silage for many years before getting parked. I've got a 8BA flathead lined up to replace the locked up flathead.

Also to illustrate, the most well-rounded and interesting people are the ones who have had a diverse range of careers. They mastered one, then moved on to the next. They flopped out of that one, and moved on to another. Etc. Etc.

TKCR 10-01-2021 08:11 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8978599)
thank you so much T, that's exactly what I was looking for, so I'm not crazy, there is no matching large spring on the passenger side, and I just spent 4 hours tearing up my garage looking for it? so whats that hole in the rail bracket for?

Lol, sorry you spent all that time for nothing. I canít say what that hole is for. I have never seen anything attached to it. I thought maybe with the buckets seats, but I looked at some photos, and itís not used there either.
Iím really impressed with the work you did on your seat, it turned out great! Excellent job

Gregski 10-02-2021 08:09 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8978812)
Lol, sorry you spent all that time for nothing. I canít say what that hole is for. I have never seen anything attached to it. I thought maybe with the buckets seats, but I looked at some photos, and itís not used there either.
Iím really impressed with the work you did on your seat, it turned out great! Excellent job

Oh wow T, coming from a pro like you that really makes my head swell up I may not fit through the door, really appreciate your help I really do you guided this fool throughout the project and kept me from veering off constantly, it was a massive amount of work, I appreciate what you do for us you deserve every dollar you make.

Gregski 10-02-2021 08:13 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
so today...

Me: "so hon all that's left to do is wash the truck and list it for sale"

My Wife: "we are baby sitting your brother's kids this weekend and today we are taking them to the Zoo!"

Me:

TKCR 10-02-2021 08:38 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
:lol: Thatís funny! You better keep the wife happy. Youíve done a lot of hard work, take a day and relax.

Gregski 10-02-2021 07:28 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8978629)
Wow, that seat came out great! It provided us with lots of entertainment, and now you know it's done right, all the way through. I kind of miss the daily geographical updates on the seat cover location, so maybe you can keep us caught up on the hog ring pliers, even though you don't need them anymore.

thank you for the kind words really appreciate your positive feedback and genuine witty humor

and you can't make this up

Gregski 10-02-2021 07:30 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
2 Attachment(s)
Rusty's final wash, and last chance to draw some blood!

Gregski 10-03-2021 12:14 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8978629)
PS: if you're really going to sell Rusty, please do it when I'm not looking because it will make me sad. Don't mind me, I'm borderline automotive-sentimental (treatable, but no known cure). I've only ever sold one of my vehicles, and wish I hadn't.

ha ha, don't look then

kipps 10-03-2021 07:18 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8979548)
ha ha, don't look then

Has it already sold? I can't find it on Craigslist.

Gregski 10-03-2021 07:23 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kipps (Post 8979690)
Has it already sold? I can't find it on Craigslist.

Yes, listed Saturday afternoon, sold Sunday morning, first buyer, first full offer

kipps 10-03-2021 07:40 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Impressive! I'll bet your daughter is thrilled! What's she getting?

Gregski 10-03-2021 07:44 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kipps (Post 8979703)
Impressive! I'll bet your daughter is thrilled! What's she getting?

a hatchback, here's a snip of our conversation, you can't make this stuff up:

Me: "So do you want an I4 or a V6?"

Daughter: "I want a sunroof?"

:haha::haha:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2022 67-72chevytrucks.com