The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   First time on the road! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=836557)

pontiacvince 07-24-2022 09:48 PM

First time on the road!

1 Attachment(s)
I took my Suburban down to the end of my cul-de-sac and back home yesterday! That'd the first time it's been down the road under its own power in at least 15+ years. Still needs some more brake bleeding, desperately needs an alignment, and the mufflers are just wired up to the frame to keep them from coming off the headers.
Couldn't be happier! It's been a very long road getting it this far, and the end is in sight. Thanks to everyone here that have put up with my endless questions!

LockDoc 07-24-2022 10:05 PM

Re: First time on the road!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pontiacvince (Post 9105120)
I took my Suburban down to the end of my cul-de-sac and back home yesterday! That'd the first time it's been down the road under its own power in at least 15+ years. Still needs some more brake bleeding, desperately needs an alignment, and the mufflers are just wired up to the frame to keep them from coming off the headers.
Couldn't be happier! It's been a very long road getting it this far, and the end is in sight. Thanks to everyone here that have put up with my endless questions!

Good deal!

Get those brakes working good. That is really important....

LockDoc

Accelo 07-24-2022 10:17 PM

Sometime the money and time issues slow down the project.
Running and driving typically adds new life to the project.

I ended up hating brakes. Should be the simplest job in the world.
I had issues at every turn. If GM could put 100K trucks together with out leaks you would think I should be able to put one together!

Best of luck on the project. Here is a toast to cruising this summer in the Burb!

pontiacvince 07-24-2022 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accelo (Post 9105130)
Sometime the money and time issues slow down the project.
Running and driving typically adds new life to the project.

I ended up hating brakes. Should be the simplest job in the world.
I had issues at every turn. If GM could put 100K trucks together with out leaks you would think I should be able to put one together!

Best of luck on the project. Here is a toast to cruising this summer in the Burb!

Yeah, I'm kicking my own ass about the brakes...
When I installed all the new lines, they needed tweaking here and there on the crossmember and down the frame rail. I left a lot of the connections loose to make it a little easier. And I forgot to tighten some of them.....
That led to the proportioning valve shutting off the fluid, so I had to play with that. Slowly but slowly....

pontiacvince 07-24-2022 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9105126)
Good deal!

Get those brakes working good. That is really important....

LockDoc

Thanks, Doc!

BAD1916 07-25-2022 02:07 AM

That’s awesome news! The first of many now I hope

HO455 07-25-2022 05:25 PM

Good job! That first successful road test is always a good day. :metal::metal::metal:

kev2809 07-25-2022 06:34 PM

nice. there's always a light at the end of the tunnel

CG 07-26-2022 12:29 AM

Saweeet! Best part of the story ... You made it back home!

3757chevy 07-26-2022 12:32 AM

Welcome back to the street.