The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 10-24-2015 11:26 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7352604)
Do you plan to leave it as pure metal or put foam/vinyl over it? If pure metal I'm totally interested in seeing this as I've seen a few people think about it and I've thought about it too.

The thought of going real thin spunge like material maybe 1/8th of an inch thick with black vinyl over it did cross my mind, but that would be Plan B.

Plan A is to just primer and paint it, I can always go with Plan B over that if I don't like the bare results, but I hope I will cause I like the Spartan look and feel of my truck.

Gregski 10-24-2015 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7352634)
Hmm...

Exactly!

68Timber 10-24-2015 11:53 PM

First thought, maybe hydro-dipped with your pattern of choice? Just a thought...

Gregski 10-25-2015 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUISER (Post 7352687)
First thought, maybe hydro-dipped with your pattern of choice? Just a thought...

You gonna make me Google that, aint you John? LOL

Barbecue 10-25-2015 01:58 AM

Black crinkle paint would look very professional and badass at the same time.

Gregski 10-25-2015 11:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbecue (Post 7352763)
Black crinkle paint would look very professional and badass at the same time.

whoa, "professional and badass", I'm in, ha ha

so I think we are thinking something along these lines, this paint aint cheap it's $10 bucks a rattle can but that's still $250 ahead of a new "aftermarket" dash

Dupli Color

Textured Metallic Coating

"Use on trunks, dashboards, and Toolboxes"

Gregski 10-25-2015 11:47 AM

5 Attachment(s)
so checked on our dash this morning and it is coming along nicely

one Top Tip: don't kill yourself scrapping all the padding off of it, let Mr. P do the work for you, soak the left over foam and adhesive with phosphoric acid and go watch some TV

79sierra 10-25-2015 12:17 PM

I am interested to see how this turns out painted! Will you weld/fill the extra holes?

Gregski 10-25-2015 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79sierra (Post 7353011)
I am interested to see how this turns out painted! Will you weld/fill the extra holes?

I wish I was man enough to do so, but when I went through my second midlife crisis I sold my Harbor Freight MIG welder and mask, etc so now I am in between welders, ha ha

so the short answer to your question is no, not at this time, I may re do it at some point in the future, unless someone from the Sac Crew shows up at my doorstep and welds them in for me

enaberif 10-25-2015 12:31 PM

If I was to paint that I would use plastidip. It will be a neat texture and if you don't like it peel it off.

If you want to cover up the holes you could use some JB Weld and just put a backing plate behind the holes for it to grab on to.

Or the other option would be to basically strip to metal then let it rust up a bit then clear coat with stuff that is UV compatible.

68Timber 10-25-2015 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7353027)
If I was to paint that I would use plastidip. It will be a neat texture and if you don't like it peel it off.

If you want to cover up the holes you could use some JB Weld and just put a backing plate behind the holes for it to grab on to.

That is a most snazzy idea.

rich weyand 10-25-2015 04:21 PM

I would probably do it in black wrinkle paint. Kill the glare as well as the windshield reflection. The Rustoleum stuff isn't too expensive. The thing about Rustoleum is that it dries slow, to produce a more flexible coating. This doesn't micro-crack and let moisture and oxygen in to start rusting. For a dash, which can get very hot in the sun, I think the Rustoleum product is probably the way to go.
http://www.zoro.com/rust-oleum-wrink...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

rusty76 10-25-2015 09:13 PM

Awesome idea. Waiting on pics

Country705 10-26-2015 08:33 PM

Can't wait for more updates!

mcmlxix 10-27-2015 12:39 AM

Fiberglass the frame. No welder needed to cover holes...
Below is an old thread. I'm sure there are more threads /ideas...
You can still use the black textured paint to keep the glare down or find someone to cover the dash in marine grade UV resistant vinyl.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=441581&page=2

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592107

Gregski 10-27-2015 10:36 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - The 40 Yard Dash

4 Attachment(s)
snuck out for a few in between kids piano lessons and Halloween haunted house rehersals

a little wire wheel, a little acid, a little more wire wheel, and a bit more acid and it will be all clean and rust free

68Timber 10-27-2015 10:42 PM

Did you decide which way to go with it?

Gregski 10-27-2015 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUISER (Post 7356184)
Did you decide which way to go with it?

Well since I already am a proud owner of sum JB Weld (if I can find it) I will stick on some backing plates behind the round and oval holes and fill them even with bondo, then shoot the entire dash, both sides, back and belly with my favorite paint over rust primer, and then go with the textured spray paint in black

chose not to go with fiber glass since it would mean I would need to cover the entire dash otherwise there would be mole hills where I attempted to cover the holes, and that just sounds like too much work, even for The Greg.

going for good enuff for goberment work type of result !!!

68Timber 10-27-2015 10:56 PM

Cool, looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I've used a similar spray paint, I think it's from Rustoleum, they call it "hammertone". It hides flaws well and looks good.

rusty76 10-28-2015 06:59 PM

I can't wait to see it

Gregski 10-28-2015 09:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
hid in the garage for a little while in between, Greg, Greg, and Daddy, Daddy... I swear I just want to be left alone sometimes to wrench, look I aint hurtin' no body so just leave me alone

someone mentioned they would like to see the dash installed to make a decision on which finish to pick, and I thought that made sense so today I popped it back in, and I must say this here might could work

first you will notice how much that dash bar covers, it covers both AC vents and two oval holes right off the bat

and really when you is sitting down in the seat all you see is the two oval holes in front of the passenger and well maybe that third oval hole on the ramp to the gauges

I'll share some big shots then some close ups

Gregski 10-28-2015 09:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
ok here are some close ups so we all can see the four round holes section, the six pac hole section, the defrost/heater vents, and the in dash speaker area

so the plan is to cover the speaker with a 4x10 speaker grill of some sorts

now were there defrost vent covers in 1974 or did they come into play in the 80s?

and I aint gonna worry about those 1/4 inch square holes where the clippy clips go cause it's hip to be square!

Gregski 10-28-2015 09:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
and here's a looksie from the outside looking in, or as I like to call it the Pebble Beach Concours de Elagance Judges View

whats up with that raised square section above the steering column, thanks a lot GM, The Greg almost pulled this off

enaberif 10-28-2015 09:22 PM

You have solidified my thought regarding doing this to my truck so thanks a lot lol.

I'm wondering what that bump above the steering wheel is for myself.

Jeramy 10-28-2015 10:21 PM

wondering myself if the skeleton from the 81 and up is the same, as mine is pretty toast.
wonder if a little time spent with a body work hammer and dolly could flatten out that square patch
by the way i vote black.with or with out texture is chefs choice.