The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   "Elwood" the 77_remix (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=738570)

N2TRUX 11-17-2017 09:51 PM

Re: Elwood the 77_remix

Quote:

Originally Posted by BB72CHEVKT (Post 8084671)
I like the new wheels so much I think I need a pair for my new to me 83. Any idea when they can be purchased and price point.

You will need to contact your local Wheel Pro dealer. They can give you info on pricing and availability.

N2TRUX 11-18-2017 12:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Friday night shop session was focused on the rear axle. I wanted to pull it to clean it up a bit. The stock shock mounts were still attached, and the pinion seal is seeping.

I had preciously removed most of the 4 link and set it aside. I finished removing some components and disconnected the E brake cable and brake line.

I pulled the inspection cover and drained the gear oil. While that was off, I tested the fit of the Moser Engineering differential cover. I was concerned that the panhard bar mount might create a conflict, and it does. I'll address that issue later.

N2TRUX 11-18-2017 12:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
With the 12 bolt on the ground i was able to slide it out from under the truck. I recall removing the bottom shock mounts from Scarlett while laying on my back. I decided to do it standing up on Elwood.

After a few minutes with a cut off wheel, followed by a flapper disc the axle was cleaner looking. I plan to make new brake lines and replace the rubber with braided stainless. I am working with Wilwood to determine what brakes I will run. That will decide how the lines are laid out.

Time constraints wont allow me to change gears and add a locker. My 3.08 one wheel peel differential will have to do for now.

rustytruck50 11-19-2017 11:55 PM

Hooked & reeled in Ken! Elwood is spot on in so many ways :cool:

N2TRUX 11-20-2017 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustytruck50 (Post 8086331)
Hooked & reeled in Ken! Elwood is spot on in so many ways :cool:

Come on in and enjoy the show.

N2TRUX 11-20-2017 11:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by smpoulin01 (Post 8084164)
I have 2 - 12577 on mine. Love them.

I finally had a few minutes to compare the specs on the mufflers I was considering. I am restricted by my RideTech 4 link not allowing space to run a true dual system out the back. Consequently I need a free flowing muffler that wont be too loud in the cab.

I looked hard at the Borla XL series since I have them on Scarlett and know what they sound like. I compared them to the Magnaflow for size, appearance, and sound.

Its hard to compare sound when there are so many variables, but I listened to several sound clips and liked the Magnaflow stainless series best. The end result is I will be running a MagnaFlow 14336 which is a 2.5" SI/SO.

Up front I have 2.5" Corvette ramhorns flowing in to a mandrel bend Y pipe. I will use Deeds Engineering V bands to connect to a Vibrant Performance #64810 10" flex coupling going back to the Magnaflow muffler. That will be suspended by Deeds Engineering billet brackets and hangers.

From there I will have to rely on Alex my exhaust technician at New Star Muffler to work his magic and get the exhaust pip under the rise in the frame to the wheel well.

smpoulin01 11-20-2017 04:50 PM

I believe that will be a great choice!

Sik66 11-21-2017 12:56 AM

DeJaVu for me with my last weekend!....I fitted up my 4 link conversion
I also will have to modify my moser cover....thinking of just welding together.....or even welded bracket to actual diff housing instead...

gringoloco 11-21-2017 03:08 AM

I like my stainless magnaflows, but with the small block, they can get a little glass-packy. Brrraaaap!

N2TRUX 11-21-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smpoulin01 (Post 8086692)
I believe that will be a great choice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 8087027)
I like my stainless magnaflows, but with the small block, they can get a little glass-packy. Brrraaaap!

I hope it has a good sound. I'm going to run as much tailpipe as possible to clean it up.

N2TRUX 11-21-2017 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sik66 (Post 8087003)
DeJaVu for me with my last weekend!....I fitted up my 4 link conversion
I also will have to modify my moser cover....thinking of just welding together.....or even welded bracket to actual diff housing instead...

I wont be able to determine a solution until I get the axle back in place. I need to see how much needs to be removed from the bracket, or housing. I dont want to compromise the integrity of either part.

N2TRUX 11-21-2017 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I received a batch of goodies from Deeds Engineering yesterday. I would normally say the pics dont do them justice. In this case Kevin has some fantastic photos on his website and the finished product looks just as nice. These definitely are multi level up in quality over standard exhaust components.

Bloodhound 11-21-2017 01:50 PM

Wow those are nice. Trying to picture how they bolt up.

N2TRUX 11-22-2017 11:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodhound (Post 8087261)
Wow those are nice. Trying to picture how they bolt up.

The V bands are a three piece component. There are two rings that slide over the exhaust pipe. The outer band clamps around both rings and clamps them together to create a seal.

Those flat tabs are weld to the exhaust system. The "dogbones" are captured between the tabs. They have a built in bushing to absorb some of the vibration. There are additional hangers that will be utilized as we get the system laid out.

Bloodhound 11-22-2017 02:03 PM

Very cool.

N2TRUX 11-22-2017 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A swing, and a miss. I got my exhaust parts from Summit today. I wanted to test fit everything to see how it fit. Yikes! I was not even close. In my defense, its not easy trying to lay on your back, hold parts in place, and measure what you need.

I ordered a 10" Flex fitting and its way too long. I wanted as much flex as possible but a 6" tube will have to suffice. I mistakenly pulled the Magnaflow part number for a offset/offset muffler. Instead I need a center/offset to work.

Fortunately Summit has an excellent return policy. Since the parts weren't installed, they emailed me a prepaid return label. As soon as they see that I shipped the parts they will process my new parts. Thanks Summit!

N2TRUX 11-27-2017 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 8085246)
...Time constraints wont allow me to change gears and add a locker. My 3.08 one wheel peel differential will have to do for now.

Looks like there might be a change in plans. I located a 10 bolt with 3.42 gears locally. I'm supposed to pick it up later today.

I was sick over the Thanksgiving weekend so i didnt get any shop time. I manged to finish my work on Friday but that was about it. Saturday was bad and Sunday I slept all day.

I'm somewhat better today, so I'll be doing updates later.

STOCKISH 11-27-2017 06:35 PM

Everything looks fantastic as usual! Can’t wait to see that interior finished up!

N2TRUX 11-27-2017 09:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
It really sucked not being able to put in shop time this weekend. I'm trying to shake a respiratory infection and I find the best cure is sleep. Consequently I was rather depressed today after a much needed weekend past by.
Fortunately I received some pics today from Brent at Sculpt Garage He is almost finished with the seat for Elwood. I wanted to wait till I picked it up to post pics, but I cant. I'm really pleased with the results.

The insert material is OEM for earlier squares, and the red emulates the 1977 grain. Its a brighter red by Enduratex in the Oxen series. Its a bit brighter than what I wanted but so far everyone I show it to likes it better than my choice.

Lets see what the critics think?

STOCKISH 11-27-2017 09:31 PM

Spot on! Beautiful

smpoulin01 11-27-2017 10:05 PM

Looks really good!

Coursey 11-28-2017 08:17 AM

Where did you source the OEM material?

ultrahd4me 11-28-2017 08:41 AM

That's next level stuff for sure. Ken, yourself and Elwood is what has inspired a lot of us younger guys to get into the squarebody trucks. This definitely raises that bar to another level. Killer work as usual sir.

aggie91 11-28-2017 11:00 AM

The new seat looks great! I really do like the red you used!

Can't wait to see Elwood in February.

N2TRUX 11-28-2017 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STOCKISH (Post 8091774)
Spot on! Beautiful

Quote:

Originally Posted by smpoulin01 (Post 8091809)
Looks really good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coursey (Post 8092065)
Where did you source the OEM material?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 8092144)
The new seat looks great! I really do like the red you used!Can't wait to see Elwood in February.

Thanks guys. I'm trying to stay true to the original truck with some pleasing updates. The OEM material came from SMS Auto fabrics They have the best selection and are very knowledgeable on their inventory. I was apprehensive about using 40 year old vinyl until I got the sample. It still had that "new car" smell to it.