The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Replacement Radiator (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=826060)

Reno 09-21-2021 10:08 AM

Replacement Radiator

Looking for recommendations for a replacement radiator in my 1968 - but ill be running a warmed up 12v Cummins....

Want to stay with the original style as I have all my intercooler & stuff configured around the stock location....

Aluminum vs copper?

Griffin or ???

don't need fans as I'll be running stock fan on cummins...

I tried the search feature but have to dig into everyones build several pages to find info...intersting builds but not productive.

thanks in advance

burnin oil 09-21-2021 10:45 AM

Re: Replacement Radiator

If you have enough room in front of the fan I would look at the be cool generic GM aluminum radiator. It was 1/2 the price of a stocker and cools well. Only catch it it is slightly wider and you can't use the stock upper mounts. Easy fab job. I run this on a 400sb that was built basically as a dirt track motor. No cooling problems at idle speeds or running high RPMs in granny gear in the K20. With that said, did you use a factory dodge intercooler? The stock radiator from a 12v does just fine. I hauled a 14k RV with a turned up 12v and never had issues. Those cooled so well that when going through slight down grades the heater would start blowing cold in the winter.

Lee H 09-21-2021 10:50 AM

R & D Fabrication. Mines about 10 years old now. Functioning as new, I would replace with the same.

Reno 09-21-2021 11:04 AM

Yes we modified the factory 2nd gen intercooler cutting off a few rows on the top to clear hood & latch. Wanting to run the factory GM 4 core OEM radiator to reduce fab costs and clean original looking fit....

burnin oil 09-21-2021 11:13 AM

The be cool would fit that bill for the most part. The tanks are in a slightly different location requiring a slight mod of the upper retainers that get moved when switching from the factory small to large radiator. You could probably just Redrill the radiator support and put in 4 rivnuts. I just slid the lower insulators over on the buttom. I didn't have rivnuts so I just made a different upper bracket.

jimijam00 09-21-2021 12:59 PM

Read some of the hundred threads on this subject. Everyone has their favorites, from cheap offshore specials, to the overpriced dewitts. For the most part, a clean radiator that doesn't leak isn't much different from another clean radiator that doesn't leak, though two large tubes are usually better than four smaller tubes. The fan set up, H2O pump, shroud, thermostat, and water ratio have a lot to do with how a cooling system performs. Good luck.

HO455 09-21-2021 01:51 PM

You might consider moving this thread to the diesel section. More folks there with direct experience with your question. Ask a moderator to have it moved if you'd like it shifted.

burnin oil 09-21-2021 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimijam00 (Post 8974039)
Read some of the hundred threads on this subject. Everyone has their favorites, from cheap offshore specials, to the overpriced dewitts. For the most part, a clean radiator that doesn't leak isn't much different from another clean radiator that doesn't leak, though two large tubes are usually better than four smaller tubes. The fan set up, H2O pump, shroud, thermostat, and water ratio have a lot to do with how a cooling system performs. Good luck.

This is true but a warmed up cummins puts way more heat into the radiator. I agree with all you say and only adding that this application is going to need a large capacity.

burnin oil 09-21-2021 02:48 PM

Reno, as a separate thought. If you are running 4k governor springs you may want to look for the aftermarket plug for the freeze plug just below the head on the rear of the block. High RPM will shove it out and it is about impossible to replace without yanking the motor or transmission. That sucker is over 2" and can dump alot of water quickly. Got that T-shirt already.

jimijam00 09-21-2021 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnin oil (Post 8974082)
This is true but a warmed up cummins puts way more heat into the radiator. I agree with all you say and only adding that this application is going to need a large capacity.

I figured you were stuck on OEM size by your statement
Quote:

Want to stay with the original style as I have all my intercooler & stuff configured around the stock location
But since you apparently aren't limiting it the original style in the stock location, check out Northern Radiator for a 50"w x 18"t radiator and modify your support to make it fit, and relocate the battery to the bed.

burnin oil 09-22-2021 12:08 AM

Not in the least. Just relaying my experience with a hot runner in a 72 and owning more than one turned up cummins motors. For fun I never saw the temp gauge budge with a stock 95 dodge cummins radiator other than blowing out the freeze plug. It was cooling a maxed out 180 pump with 75lbs of boost from twin turbos. That was an easy 750hp and 1200 ft lbs at the rear tires. The 72 used to over heat in traffic with the stock radiator and it was common to Rev the motor to 2500 RPM to try and keep her cool. An upgraded clutch fan and crappy shroud helped but the the aluminum radiator did the trick. Cummins are more fun to drive but spinning a gasser to 7k plus has its place also. That old 12v will make it into my 57 when it gets the rebuild in a few years.

As far as intercooler plumbing goes he could probably just turn the battery sideways and offset the radiator/ intercooler. The charge pipe is around 4". Should be a pipe on each side of the intercooler which makes it a little more challenging. I think this is an older conversion but I am not sure.

Jcfcamaro 09-22-2021 05:51 AM

I've had great luck with ECP engineering cooling products . I've been running one in my Camaro for years without any issues and it solved my heating up problem. They have 1in tubes inside . Just got one for my 72 k10 yesterday but had to wait 5 weeks for it. They are aluminum.

61_FL_Apache 09-22-2021 06:27 AM

Check out Champion radiator. I had one in my 61 and worked great.

57larry 09-22-2021 06:54 PM

I got a Cold Case in mine, running AC, no problems