The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Trust yourself when something does not feel right (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=827273)

landarts 10-27-2021 11:44 AM

Trust yourself when something does not feel right

This morning I was browsing through Facebook and I belong to a few Facebook groups that are 67-72 truck related. Some of them are for items that are for sale and some are just about the builds and sharing knowledge. On one of them a set of 67-68 Buddy Bucket seats were for sale for a good price so I sent a private message to see what it would cost to get them shipped to my place. They got back with in a few minutes with a shipping quote and total. I felt that it was fair and I wanted to move forward with the deal.

The seller asked me to send him the name, shipping address, phone, and email how I would like to pay. I responded with all of that and for the payment I stated that I had (PayPal, Venmo or credit card). He came back and asked if I had Zelle. I actually had just signed up for Zelle a few weeks ago so I could donate to a friends wedding gift, so I answered back yes I have Zelle and let me get logged into it so we can do payment. This is where things started to feel wrong.

After I got logged into Zelle, the app ask for (name, phone number or email) of the recipient that you are sending money to. So I messaged back what is you name or phone number please? He sent back his email, which I did not ask for. When I entered the email it said "recipient not found", so I messaged back that Zelle could not find you. He message back "prove it with a screen shot" so I did provide the screen shot that shows he does not have an account in Zelle. He became defensive and said what about PayPal and send it friends and family. I took a minute to listen to the little guy on your shoulder saying something does not seem right.

I finally messaged back after a minute or so and said that I do not feel comfortable with the deal anymore and that I would pass on the seats. He came back saying that I was never serious and just send the PayPal and he would ship out today. I politely declined and said that I was not comfortable with the deal. We went back and forth exchanging a few words and in the end I told him that it did not feel right. I explained that the Zelle account not recognizing his email and then asking for PayPal through friends and family which is not the right way to do business and leaves me unprotected.

This deal might have been a legit deal on seats I will never know. It did not feel right so I bailed out. I would rather feel good about not being possibly taken then to risk the chance on a set of seats. Again like I said in the title, trust yourself when something does not feel right.

67 twins 10-27-2021 12:01 PM

Re: Trust yourself when something does not feel right

I'm certain you made the right decision.

kwmech 10-27-2021 12:10 PM

How would you go about shipping something like that from Northern Calif? Pretty large and somewhat heavy

KQQL IT 10-27-2021 12:27 PM

Where they blue?

landarts 10-27-2021 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KQQL IT (Post 8988881)
Where they blue?

I sent you a PM.

mkmc69 10-27-2021 12:35 PM

I just about fell for the same bad deal. They wanted more information than what is normally required, which sent up "Red Flags", immediately. I told them I did not need to provide such info. They insisted again. I told them to stick it up their a@%! Then tried to report them as scammers. Which, we all know now they were. Bottom line is, "If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is!" And yes, they were blue. Buyer beware!!

landarts 10-27-2021 12:36 PM

I also want to say I am not trying to point anyone out anyone on this deal, it could actually be a legit deal for all I know. I just wanted to tell others about that feeling you get when something does not feel right.

Warrens69GMC 10-27-2021 12:37 PM

It also seems as they were rushing you to make a payment. I would have bailed as well.

mkmc69 10-27-2021 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarts (Post 8988886)
I also want to say I am not trying to point anyone out anyone on this deal, it could actually be a legit deal for all I know. I just wanted to tell others about that feeling you get when something does not feel right.

Whatever it was, it felt anything other than legit for sure.

Rich72C10 10-27-2021 01:26 PM

So many red flags, I seriously doubt it was a real deal. Anything/Anyone that you have no history with pushes you for direct payment like Zelle or PayPal F&F is going to take your money and run. Then you have ZERO way to get it back or get help because it was a cash transaction.

Having situational awareness and common sense gets you out of things like this (it did at the end), which are people using social engineering to dupe you in some way. That can be websites, emails with tricky hyperlinks, phone calls or simply picking up a thumb drive off the ground to get past your defenses.

Even if you are not used to social engineering in the computer world, I'll requote mkmc69.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkmc69 (Post 8988885)
.... Bottom line is, "If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is!" ....

kwmech 10-27-2021 01:41 PM

What color are you looking for?

Stocker 10-27-2021 01:57 PM

As others have said, you made the right decision for you, and that's all that matters.

That deal, though maybe legit, failed the sniff test.

landarts 10-27-2021 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stocker (Post 8988910)
As others have said, you made the right decision for you, and that's all that matters.

That deal, though maybe legit, failed the sniff test.

I think you said it well, it did not pass the sniff test.

Sheepdip 10-27-2021 03:38 PM

Rest assured you were about to get scammed.

68Gold/white 10-27-2021 04:07 PM

God will tap you on the shoulder and give you proper direction, when needed, IF you are listening....

1971Stepside 10-27-2021 05:09 PM

Hey, any of you guys want to buy some NOS muffler bearings?

BigBird05 10-27-2021 05:22 PM

You did right. I have had 3 phone calls just this week from "Amazon" telling about suspi
cious credit card activity on my Amazon account. I don't have a Amazon account.

HotWheelsFan 10-27-2021 06:51 PM

Quick thoughts...

SCAM for a few reasons. It did not feel right. As this post implies. Trust your gut.

Two things I see often:

Ads geared towards the "easily duped" crowds. Easily spotted and scammers use this tactic because idiots are the easiest prey.

Ads, when replied to, prey on the fact that we don't want to miss out on a good deal. Scammers here want you, me, us, etc... to act on our impulse, or relax our common sense. - Take a moment and think. Let your brain do the work as it should.

Scammers are just using basic evaluations of behavioral science against us, in this case, desire of acting quick on a desired item before it gets away. We, our brain (as humans) rely on simplicity or "auto pilot" mode to make ease of certain tasks. This is when we, you, us, etc... may tend to let our guard down.

Step back and think, we all know the sayings and reasons. We were taught common sense as a kid. Don't let the trend of pressure, or accepting somebody else's terms, over reasonable or sensible thinking.

- Saw on PBS recently as a re-run from 2020, Hacking your Mind four part series. Informative material on how humans evaluate different situations, in this case: situations where we relax our intelligence for simplification.

Bob

70STOVEBOLT 10-27-2021 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 8988976)
Hey, any of you guys want to buy some NOS muffler bearings?

If they are for 2.5 inch exhaust I will take them.

geunther 10-27-2021 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT (Post 8989021)
If they are for 2.5 inch exhaust I will take them.

Caution. We used to make fun and say things like you need some exhaust fluid. Now it's a real thing.

70STOVEBOLT 10-27-2021 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geunther (Post 8989053)
Caution. We used to make fun and say things like you need some exhaust fluid. Now it's a real thing.

LOL, that’s true.