The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 12-29-2018 10:57 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

4 Attachment(s)
alright, but how you is going to afix it to the plastic bazel?

aha

looks like the General has a sick sense of humor, he gave us two holes, asymmetrical at that, this will drive The Greg mad

Gregski 12-29-2018 11:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
ok with those blind holes opened up it was time to trasfereatize them to the shinny custom backing plate

for that we use the blue tape, it's not just for painting your wife's bathroom you know

I'm sure there's like 7 better ways to do this, but I think it worked, I used a pick I stole from my old dentist's office, jk he's not that old

these screws came from the junk drawer just for testing, I plan on using black torx head jobbies in the end for the aesthetic factor

Gregski 12-29-2018 11:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
not too crazy about the bolt heads not being flush with the front of the bazel, the angle seems all wrong but it will do for now

thinking about adding two more holes one on top and one on the other side on the bottom to settle my OCD

Gregski 12-29-2018 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
my buddy Pontiac Mike gave me these dashboard warning indicator custom LED lights a while back, it's really the catalyst for this entire custom gauge panel project, so let's blame him if it goes wrong, ha ha

anyway, love these for two reasons:

1. they have blade connectors in the back, it's going to be so easy to connect!

2. they are threaded and screw in tight to the panel

man just wish I had some green ones for the turn signal indicators

Gregski 12-29-2018 11:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
so I jumped in the 7 fo' and decided to hit the parts sto'

picked these babies up (at the only Speed Shop in town) for about $8.00 bucks a piece not cheap, not a huge fan of the chrome, cause you know what they say, chrome won't get you home but black will get you back, ha ha

also wish they were the threaded type, but it turns out the slide ins will work out just fine too

Gregski 12-29-2018 11:15 PM

5 Attachment(s)
yup, this is where they're going

stepped it up to the 1/2" drill bit to open up those holes proper and they slid right in nice and snug

Gregski 12-30-2018 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
SUNDAY... time for church...

Gregski 12-30-2018 08:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Today I worked on the warning lights, high beam and brake. I have the '78 cluster on my '74 truck and I lost the red plastic display thingie that goes behind the speedo so I forgot what those two warning lights were, the two on the Tach are Fasten Belts (don't have that feature on my '74) and Brake

we is gonna shove them into where the letters of the Alphabet go on an Automatic

first we make da template - roughly a 1 3/8" x 3 1/2"

Gregski 12-30-2018 08:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
then we cut it out of metal

I think this little doinker took as long to make as the entire big panel, ha ha

Gregski 12-30-2018 09:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I specialize in asymmetrical pieces, so I learned to label them, since they only fit one way, (translation I ain't that good)

like i said this piece took sum doin'

grind a little test fit a little, sand a little more off

Gregski 12-30-2018 09:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I think this part took two takes, as I didn't bend back far enough on the first take...

nice thing about metal is that it is very bendy

Gregski 12-30-2018 09:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
holding the two pieces in place so I could weld them proved to be a challenge as magnets would not do the trick

but somehow I managed, to tac them in place on one side and weld the entire length on the other

keep in mind this is a backing plate so it's out of sight and out of mind, all it needs to do is hold

and I did clean these welds up with a grinder later

Gregski 12-30-2018 09:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
alright lets mount it up and drill some more holes

we're going to mount these two warning lights as far wide apart as possible so in case we decide to add some more lights we got the room for them (genius I tell you, genius)

stepped up to a 1/2" hole propper

Gregski 12-30-2018 10:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
alright let's mount it up for the 70th time and see how it looks

Gregski 12-30-2018 10:56 PM

4 Attachment(s)
lets put sum lights in it

Gregski 12-30-2018 10:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
not too shabby, let's see it with the big gauges back in it

sorry I kept getting the glare when photoing on the kitchen island (shhh don't tell the wifey)

Gregski 12-30-2018 11:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
let's add that top bolt, ok that's more better

Gregski 12-30-2018 11:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
and with gauges

Gregski 12-30-2018 11:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
and one final look at the finished product, before it goes to paint

Gregski 12-30-2018 11:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
since we still had some daylight I decided to mix up some paint, ha ha

Gregski 01-01-2019 05:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Happy new year gents

Gregski 01-01-2019 05:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is where the magic happens

Gregski 01-01-2019 06:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
so I had to decided which terminals to use to make the connections

first of all some advice, these vinyl plastic insulated ones are total junk, avoid them unless absolutely necessary, that hard plastic does not shrink like the heat shrink tubing you see guys heat up with a cigarette lighter

second we will be using unshielded terminals for the ground wires, and I recommend unshielded for everything if you can find them and then make your own shileding from the shrink to fit tubing

a lot of this wire is super skinny it's basically 22-18 gauge, but finding all the connectors in that size is IMPOSSIBLE I went to four parts stores today, and kept striking out so some are going to be 16-14 gauge

I apologize for the glare in the photos, apparently shooting in my den sucks in terms of lighting and shadows

Gregski 01-01-2019 06:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
with the connections / terminals picked out it was time to pick the right crimping tool, or proper attachments/dies I should say

now I really like this tool, it is of the rachetting variety however having to swap between shielded and non shielded dies is a pain

I do recommend two separate special purpose tools with different color handles to easily distinguish between the two

the key to all this is solid strong connections, if you can pull the terminals off by hand you are wasting your time

TOP TIP: pay no attention to the colored dots, use the snuggest opening no matter what color your terminal, sometimes these colors don't help if you were to use them as recommendations

Gregski 01-01-2019 06:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
the devil lives in the details, I decided to crazy glue the turn signal sliders, we can still remove the light bulbs but the housings are now permanent

I like the single use Super Glue tubes cause who has ever used a dab of super glue and put the cap back on and came back six months later and it wasn't all dried up or you were unable to get the plastic cap off, those glue guys sure have a sick sense of humor, am I right