The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 03-29-2019 12:44 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

4 Attachment(s)
I recommend you set aside 60 hours for this project... 59.5 to get the stupid lock mechanism out, and 1/2 hour for everything else, ha ha

Top Tip - don't go pockin' anything like a paper clip into that hole in the twisty knob thingie, it's there just to show you that GM engineers have a sense of humor

Top Tip 2 - use a super skinny flat screw driver to push in that little pin thingie in the hole in the picture, that will allow the lock to slide out about 1/4 inch, then do it again to the second pin in the same hole and then it will come all the way out

Fun Level = 2

Gregski 03-29-2019 12:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
58 1/2 hours later...

anatomy of a C10 glove box lock latch

Gregski 03-29-2019 12:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and here's the real reason we are doing this, apparently in 1973 GM thought fatiguing plastic will out last a metal piano hinge and decided to fix what wasn't broken, I swear the only things that have broken on my truck have been plastic bits! surprise?

Note there is a metal bar that runs across underneath the plastic piece that attaches to the bottom of the dash board

Gregski 03-29-2019 12:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
mandatory stare and compare, old vs new

Gregski 03-29-2019 12:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)
This is not a bad camera angle! This is not an optical illusion either!

this is jus how the brand new box comes it is off by 1/2 an inch from the left side to the right by design, if you put your head under the dash and look up you will see that that part of the dash metal piece actually goes from skinny to fat as it goes across

GRAY GOOSE 04-24-2019 08:46 AM

How is the LS swap going?

Gregski 04-27-2019 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRAY GOOSE (Post 8512709)
How is the LS swap going?

Ha, thanks for following up, well April taxes ripped me a new one so I hope to drop off the 1999 Suburban roller cam short block at the engine builder next month in May, and go that route first, if they tell me this block is junk, than we do the LS thang, stay tunned.

82Diesel 05-01-2019 02:52 PM

Crazy thread man... haha.

fordguy40 05-03-2019 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8496851)
WTH?

This is not a bad camera angle! This is not an optical illusion either!

this brand new after market garbage is seriously off by 1/2 an inch from the left side to the right!!!

Wow.....

Mind sharing where you got this? I'm looking to pick one up soon and am really hoping they're not all made by the same company!

Gregski 05-03-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 82Diesel (Post 8517385)
Crazy thread man... haha.

thanks I guess, I hope you mean "Crazy" in a good way, ha ha

Gregski 05-03-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordguy40 (Post 8518462)
Wow.....

Mind sharing where you got this? I'm looking to pick one up soon and am really hoping they're not all made by the same company!

you bet, this is why I share, just looking out for one another, so I get my parts from Classic Parts out of Riverside, Missouri

They have been great up to this point and I prefer them over LMC Truck since LMC is just a call center and has not Tech Support, but I called them on this part and they said it should work and that's just how they come

Gregski 05-19-2019 05:15 PM

so yeah a quick update since I haven't been posting, well I suck I will be turning 47 in a few days here, and for my birthday I decided to get a hernia, yup, got scheduled for surgery in a few months (they are super booked out, I guess it's the operation to get if you are thinking of going under the knife, ha ha), so what would have been a lovely time to rebuild that '99 Suburban roller cam engine and swap it in has me grounded and going stir crazy - - - watching LS swap videos ???

Pontiac1976 05-20-2019 02:17 PM

http://bowtieguy.proboards.com/threa...box-lock-truck

I wish I had read this sooner, or know you needed this link.

Gregski 05-24-2019 02:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
this just happened...

5.3 L LM7 truck engine from a _________ Chevrolet Silverado

4L60E automatic RWD transmission

all there but the starter

Rich84 05-24-2019 02:09 PM

The plot thickens....

Gregski 05-24-2019 02:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich84 (Post 8531082)
The plot thickens....

yes sir, game on, the wiring harness is in that white garbage bag, and the computer aka the PCM in a grocery bag in the cab, ha ha, so it's all pretty much there, Top Tip: buy as much as you can in one shot! so you don't get nickle and dimes to death

Palf70Step 05-24-2019 02:51 PM

Nice!!

Gregski 05-24-2019 06:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 8531107)
Nice!!

oh yeah, and only $1K for both the engine, transmission, wiring harness, and computer, HUGE THANK YOU TO THE SELLER, such a cool guy

12200411 = 2001-02 PCM

red/blue connectors = 1999-02 drive by cable

Wgesnerjr 05-24-2019 10:23 PM

spoiler alert:

You will LOVE the LS motor! Mine was worth all the work, X2!

Gregski 05-24-2019 11:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wgesnerjr (Post 8531322)
spoiler alert:

You will LOVE the LS motor! Mine was worth all the work, X2!

Bro, other than having to dust off my metric socket set, ha ha, so true, ten minutes with her and I am already like wow I love the valve cover design, it will not leak oil with the high cylinder walls, every bolt I go to remove comes out cause to me a 20 year old engine is BRAND NEW ha ha having worked on a 45 year old one

no broken off exhaust manifold bolts, that's a surprise

anybody know if the exhaust manifold flange will fit the downpipes from a 5.7 Vortec like off of a 1999 Tahoe/Suburban?

Gregski 05-24-2019 11:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
my truck did not have AC from the factory so I decided to delete the AC on the LM7 5.3 L engine, so easy, the AC compressor uses it's own belt and belt tensioner so it all comes off super easy and there is no need for an idler pulley to replace the compressor one, nice

kipps 05-25-2019 09:59 PM

If I remember correctly, you went to a bit of trouble to put a manual in your truck. Correct or no?

If so, are you intending to stay with a good stick-shift, or install that slushbox? You can probably guess which way I vote. :)

Jake Wade 05-25-2019 11:25 PM

I am in for this swap!

Gregski 05-26-2019 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kipps (Post 8531729)
If I remember correctly, you went to a bit of trouble to put a manual in your truck. Correct or no?

If so, are you intending to stay with a good stick-shift, or install that slushbox? You can probably guess which way I vote. :)

what you did not read this thread in it's entirety? LOL

my truck originally was a 4 speed manual (SM465 iron granny gear box), and the reason I bought it, regardless of what people say manual trucks are very hard to find be it 45 year old or modern, trust me I know I have been looking for them for years

I swapped the SM 465 for an A833 like GM 4 speed (from GM mid 80s trucks, direct bolt on no trouble at all) with overdrive, so one GM trans for another GM manual factory trans

I luv stick shifts - after all I am European (shh don't tell anybody)

I really wanted to go 6.0L with the NV4500 5 speed manual but those are Unicorns and immpossible to find, the only two trucks I have seen with those in the entire United States were 4x4s and I want a RWD

The 5.3L LM7 engines only came with Automatic transmissions

since this is my first swap I am keeping it simple and installing the 5.3 with the 4L60E automatic

and YES, the day after I install it a 6.0L manual donor truck will pop up on Craigslist, ha ha ha

good questions bro,
G

Gregski 05-26-2019 09:32 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Wade (Post 8531772)
I am in for this swap!

Me Too!

so one of the reasons I got such a great deal on this combo is because the owner did not know the VIN and could not tell me that information (knowing the VIN was important to me because I did not see all these parts come out of the same vehicle so I wanted to run a VIN checker to find out what year this was off of and confirm it was a RWD originally, etc.)

so off to Pick N Pull I went and bought just the blue connector for the computer and a Obi-Wan Kenobi port so that we could make ourselves a bench harness, which for us Carburetor Generation is just a cable that will connect the car computer aka the PCM (while out of the car) to our laptop so that we can get some information off of it. I also bought a generic universal 12 volt 1.5 Amp AC adapter to power up the PCM off the car.

while we wait on our $300 dollar HP MPVI2 Tuner to arrive we are going to try to get the VIN at least off of this PCM using an ELM 327 Interface (serial dongle that plugs into a cars OBD2 on one end and the USB port on your laptop on the other end)

NOTE: you can pull some information off of the PCM this way and clear the error codes, but you CAN NOT program it with this hack.