The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 04-18-2020 09:37 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 8719191)
Just shot this photo of my truck's gauges, and just had to brag on my cell phone holder and USB charger.;)

What? Blasphemy! good thing that thing folds up, ha ha - no seriously super nice, I think my USB port [thank you Mopar Seth for getting it for me] has been laying in my toolbox for 4 years now and the closest it came to getting installed was me twisting some alligator clips to it once and taking it camping with us then cracking the hood open slightly on the truck and hooking it up directly to the battery and giving all the kids an iPhone charging kiosk if they brought me a beer out of the cooler, so I wouldn't have to git up

MikeB 04-18-2020 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8719198)
Thanks Mike, I love that stick thang poking out of the floor...

Yeah, it was fun rowing through the gears on that Muncie just like when I was a kid. Better yet was the price: free + the cost of an overhaul kit in exchange for me prepping the seller's block at a buddy's machine shop.

I actually converted the car from a perfectly good TH350 that some PO had installed many years before. I probably saved more than 100 lb including the weight of the trans, T/C, cooler, and fluid. Sold the trans, related parts, and B&M shifter for around $250 as I recall, which paid for a used bell housing and flywheel, clutch pedal kit, and new pressure plate and disc. So it was pretty close to a net zero$$ conversion. Wish I had more of those those projects.:(

Gregski 04-21-2020 12:14 AM

5 Attachment(s)
had a little time to show Rusty some love today, been meaning to install some loop hooks on the bed ever since I took off the rusty OG ones which were mounted on the outside (very practical not very asthetical) and we're all about form over function at Damage Inc. Garage

I tried to get these 3/8ths hooks on Amazon but finally got 'em at ACE Hardware - I think they was like .97 cents a piece

so off with the two remaining old ones and on with the new six pack

there were six holes already drilled on top of the bed rails so I just had to enlarge them slightly and I tapped them, I figure I would screw these hooks in from the bottom, decapitate the shafts that stick out, and welderize them to make the new owners life a little bit more exciting if he ever considers removing them, ha ha

I doubled up on the nuts to make them hang a bit lower below the side lip

Gregski 04-21-2020 12:21 AM

5 Attachment(s)
as I was wire wheeling the zinctoniam off of the tip of the threads I considered painting them black, hewk powder coating even, but then I pushed those silly ambitious thoughts right out of my head ~ Porgress Not Perfection is the new black!

Gregski 04-21-2020 12:25 AM

4 Attachment(s)
couple bird poops later, and the hooks were in

Gregski 04-21-2020 12:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and with the hooks installed it was time to go fetch some lumber for our next project... Truck Doing Truck Things!

... and the hooks worked great! no problems to report, ha ha

texxxan 04-22-2020 07:16 AM

Two sweet projects at one time. Now I know there are no excuses.

Wgesnerjr 04-22-2020 09:34 AM

"and welderize them to make the new owners life a little bit more exciting if he ever considers removing them, ha ha"

So am i reading this right? Rusty is looking for a new home?

Gregski 04-22-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wgesnerjr (Post 8722515)
"and welderize them to make the new owners life a little bit more exciting if he ever considers removing them, ha ha"

So am i reading this right? Rusty is looking for a new home?

Thanks for asking Jay, unfortunately that was the plan before the pandemic, I just need to install the Autometer gauges in it (a $1,000 value for sure) and have the original bench seat with new foam reupholstered professionally (sowing is on the short list of things I don't do) it breaks my heart, but I somehow own three trucks now Rusty '74, Dusty, '71, and Busty a '54 so I'm spread way too thin and I wish I had the space aka the property to keep them all, but Dusty has been tucked away at my mamas house for about a year and that aint fair to her. 100% of the proceeds from the sale will go to buy my kids a car they can share, one is 18 the other 15 soon to be 16.

rgunlock 04-22-2020 10:47 AM

As for your bench seat, you wouldn't have to sew anything and still do it yourself. You've done everything else, surely buying a premade cover and using hogring plyers isn't too intimidating :) Might have to replace some broken springs and repair or replace some foam, but its all available out there.

Gregski 04-22-2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 8722562)
As for your bench seat, you wouldn't have to sew anything and still do it yourself. You've done everything else, surely buying a premade cover and using hogring plyers isn't too intimidating :) Might have to replace some broken springs and repair or replace some foam, but its all available out there.

Thanks Rick, I am not a big fan of pleather, and prefer cloth, strange I know, so I don't know if there are any cloth seat covers, and I've done the bucket seats on my '71 myself and no thank you, it's like replacing your own windshield or tires, I leave that to the pros, ha ha, I appreciate you trying to help.

kmswi 04-22-2020 11:53 AM

I wish I would of thought to install those eyelets like that on mine !!!

Gregski 04-22-2020 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmswi (Post 8722618)
I wish I would of thought to install those eyelets like that on mine !!!

thanks, it's Gangstah!

hatzie 04-22-2020 01:03 PM

I'd ask TKCR about it and read her bench seat thread.
This is post 143 of that thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=143
The second seat in that bunch would go well with your green interior.

Gregski 04-22-2020 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8722670)
I'd ask TKCR about it and read her bench seat thread.
This is post 143 of that thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=143
The second seat in that bunch would go well with your green interior.

I swear I'm gonna have to call you Radar! Well done mate, you always come through.

MikeB 04-29-2020 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8721507)
and with the hooks installed it was time to go fetch some lumber for our next project... Truck Doing Truck Things!

... and the hooks worked great! no problems to report, ha ha

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1587443247

Heavy load ya got there!

I did something similar with my last truck, but installed 3/8" stainless eye bolts in each corner of the bed floor, reinforced by a thick flat washer on the bottom of the bed.

texxxan 05-04-2020 07:04 AM

My mom always said that if I was too quiet, I was up to no good.

Gregski 05-04-2020 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texxxan (Post 8731789)
My mom always said that if I was too quiet, I was up to no good.

OMG... I'm so busted! you have no idea what I have brewing (I will PM you) plus it's 4:00 am and I am already up planning

texxxan 05-04-2020 08:30 AM

What tangled webs we weave...

Gregski 05-05-2020 07:17 PM

5 Attachment(s)
not funny !!!

this one sprung a pin hole leak right above the water line by the inlet on the driver side, I could hear it hissing under pressure when I tried to pump it up with a test pump (a total must have tool) but could not see any moisture coming out nor could I build up any PSI, even tried the Windex look for bubbles trick, so I got mad, yanked it out and tested it in my organic hydro radiator testing facility - and we saw tiny little bubbles, just enough to cause a small leak that would cause me to overheat once every two weeks or so (most of the time in the In N Out drive through, ha ha)

3rd brand new radiator in six years !

November 3rd 2016 installed Northern aluminum one off of AMAZON for $271, post #4983

December 16th, 2017 (only one year later) bought a Chinese plastic one called Rad Cool for $114 from a local mom and pop radiator shop, post #5333

and now this one from NAPA for $125

blazer2007 05-06-2020 10:09 AM

Hope it works I have to go to NAPA for a new one. I bought one for my 89 jeep 5yrs now maybe longer from NAPA and still good

Gregski 05-06-2020 10:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by blazer2007 (Post 8733325)
Hope it works I have to go to NAPA for a new one. I bought one for my 89 jeep 5yrs now maybe longer from NAPA and still good

Ditto, one thing I noticed is that NAPA's parts aint what they used to be, it seems every retailer is under some self imposed mandate to built it cheaper and faster, and you know what they say: “Fast, Cheap or Good? Pick Two.”

MikeB 05-06-2020 02:14 PM

Guess I've been lucky. Around 5-6 years ago, I bought a "Murray" radiator that looks like yours from O'Reilly Auto Parts for around $130. Mine is the small one (17" x 28-1/4" x 1-1/4"), but it keeps my 355 below 190 deg even on very hot days. Looks to be the same thing as a "Spectra Premium" at Rock Auto for $104 + shipping.

Haven't had any issues with mine, but I bought it locally for the lifetime warranty if it does fail.

Gregski 05-12-2020 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 8733518)
Guess I've been lucky. Around 5-6 years ago, I bought a "Murray" radiator that looks like yours from O'Reilly Auto Parts for around $130. Mine is the small one (17" x 28-1/4" x 1-1/4"), but it keeps my 355 below 190 deg even on very hot days. Looks to be the same thing as a "Spectra Premium" at Rock Auto for $104 + shipping.

Haven't had any issues with mine, but I bought it locally for the lifetime warranty if it does fail.

Sounds like it, smart man!

Gregski 05-12-2020 12:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
... and order in the Universe has been restored

the PCM now reads 192° F relying on the sending unit at the front of the driver cylinder head, aka the stock location

and my aftermarked Intelitronix digital gauge reads 190° F relying on the sending unit in the back of the passenger cylinder head, as a backup location