The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   "Smaller" floor pan panels (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=705395)

Jemezcrusher 04-26-2016 09:41 PM

"Smaller" floor pan panels

Had the cab of my truck blasted yesterday. Had some active rust in the floors where the floor board meets the toe board. I have only found full halves so far. I really only need 6" either side at the worst and hate to either replace the whole halves (huh?) or cut up new pieces and fit them in the 1.5 square foot areas I need to replace.

Anyone found alternatives? I could piece something together but would like to keep the original look of the rib/reliefs

OrrieG 04-27-2016 01:23 PM

Re: "Smaller" floor pan panels

Since no one else is chiming in here is my 2 cents. I would buy the panels and use what you need OR install the full panel. You might find when you start removing the old pieces the rust is worse than you think or decide replacing the complete piece is actually less work. I only had to replace cab corners and lower hinge pockets and bought the complete patch panels, but only used what I needed.

MARTINSR 04-27-2016 01:34 PM

Post some photos, maybe you don't need a patch at all and some flat steel will work for you.

Brian

Jemezcrusher 04-27-2016 01:48 PM

I went ahead and ordered panels from Summit

60 per side so not terrible.

Thanks

joedoh 04-27-2016 02:41 PM

I am an orrieg agreebot today. I bought halves and only needed patches, ended up replacing the halves. its easier than you think. I bought a spot weld cutter but didnt even need it, the floors just popped off the spot welds with a screwdriver and I ground the spot welds flat again. the floor is supported completely with the sheet removed (dont jump on it or rock it around though).

if I would have tried to patch what was there, I was grinding back to get to shiny metal and it just stayed brown. patching the whole floor was the best idea and didnt really take as much time as patching in a bunch of spots.

mongocanfly 04-27-2016 02:47 PM

I'm with Orrieg and his "agreebot"...if you've got the whole panel just swap it all..much cleaner and nice to have a good solid unrotted floor.

mr48chev 04-27-2016 02:57 PM

Yep. those halves aren't all that expensive and the end product turns out better if you replace the whole panel.

67GMCkid 04-27-2016 04:04 PM

I didn't like the fact if you used the whole floor panel you loose the original firewall/toe board to floorpan flanged seam and it just doesn't look right from under the hood or from underneath

I went with the new firewall and cut and flanged the new floors to it now I have a factory looking floor and firewall seam and don't have a bunch of unused factory firewall holes to fill.. In my opinion it was well worth the few extra hours and couple hundred bucks to both at the same time..

Virginian 04-27-2016 07:18 PM

I would keep as much of the original good old american made steel in there as possible, just my 2 cents

II_Slow 04-28-2016 05:07 PM

Summit and Jegs usually do free shipping! No tax, and they will match any price on the web for the same part. Way to go there. I ordered from Brothers a couple of weeks ago. Smooth cowl cover and a few bits like interior door and window handles. He tells my $76 for shipping! I beat him down to $40 and reluctantly placed the order but I always check Jegs and Summit before I order anywhere else.

Nomadicflyer 09-24-2016 02:24 PM

Ordered my floorpan from Brothers today. Unexpected sidetrack. I patched the left one with scrap I had in the shop, turned out nice. The right punched through while 'testing' prior to other work in the vicinity. It's a desert truck implanted to Omaha. Seen it's first rust in over 40 years, so now I'm forced to giver her a makeover to survive a salt state. :lol:

Anyway, the reason for my post was a result of researching the difference between replacing the whole panel or just use the new panel as a cutting piece. Sounds like making a careful selection and trimming a small section is the way to go, if I want to keep as much good old timey :chevy: metal, and to keep as original a look to it. Thanks to all who've commented!