The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring OEM Seatbelts (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=809750)

TKCR 07-27-2020 03:34 PM

Restoring OEM Seatbelts

4 Attachment(s)
I have been restoring our original seat belts for a short time now. It started with the set I did for myself. When I bought my truck about 6 years ago, the first thing I did was change the interior color, from Burgundy to Charcoal. It was extremely hard to find a decent set of seatbelts, so I opted for the aftermarket ones, until I could find some. Well about 4 years later, I finally found some. So here is the set that I found. I throughly cleaned them and then freshened them up with dye. Polished all the stainless steel buckles.

TKCR 07-27-2020 03:41 PM

Re: Restoring OEM Seatbelts

5 Attachment(s)
Next set I found were in excellent shape! But they still needed a good cleaning and freshened up with dye for the small section of webbing that is faded. Steel wooled the stainless steel buckles and polished.
These are the Before pics

TKCR 07-27-2020 03:46 PM

5 Attachment(s)
And after Restoration. I sandblast the mounts also.

TKCR 07-27-2020 03:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Next set I did, were Burgundy. A lot more fading in the webbing. These got the typical hot bath and a good scrubbing. Sandblasting the mounting tabs and freshened up with dye.
Before and after

TKCR 07-27-2020 03:56 PM

4 Attachment(s)
More before and after pics of the Burgundy belts

TKCR 07-27-2020 04:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Next up are CarmineRed seatbelts. I did these for a friend. I also restored a seat for him. These got the good bath, steel wooded the buckles, sandblasting of the mounts and freshened up with dye. I removed all the plastic sleeves, they were pretty broken and he didn’t want them on there anyways. So here are the before pics, and the seat I did for him.

TKCR 07-27-2020 04:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
And now for the AFTER pics. I also added the before and after of the belts in his truck. He had Blue, but we found a CarmineRed set to restore.

TKCR 07-27-2020 04:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Another set of Black/Charcoal. Throughly cleaned, sandblasted the mounts.
Before Pics

TKCR 07-27-2020 04:26 PM

5 Attachment(s)
After pic. Freshened up with dye.

TKCR 07-27-2020 04:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
These are probably the worst ones I have had so far.

TKCR 07-27-2020 04:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
These pics are just after a good cleaning and prepping, before the dye process. These are also getting new upper anchor covers.

TKCR 07-27-2020 04:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
And AFTER

TKCR 07-27-2020 04:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
These are a set of 87 Black/Characters seatbelts that I restored for someone. Sandblasted the mounts. Had quite a bit of rust on the buckles. So those got a good deal of steel wool and polishing. Had some rivets missing too, so I replaced those.
Before and after

TKCR 07-27-2020 05:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Next up is a set of 81-87 Blue. Some of these seatbelts I didn’t get before pics, I’ve been so busy, and I just get started on them and forget to get pictures.

TKCR 07-27-2020 05:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Another set of Black/Charcoal seatbelts. Here are the before pics

TKCR 07-27-2020 05:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I did cut some of the broken parts off the sleeves. And the GM sticker on the buckles are getting replaced with new ones.

TKCR 07-27-2020 06:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
These here are a set of 73 seatbelts, Charcoal.
Before pics.

TKCR 07-27-2020 06:10 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Same process. Throughly clean, sandblast the mounting tab. Freshen up with dye
After pics

TKCR 07-27-2020 06:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
1977 Blue.
Before pics

TKCR 07-27-2020 06:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
After

TKCR 07-27-2020 07:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
1975 Blue. At one time, someone had attempted to spray one of the retractors black. So that one, I had to get all the old dye cleaned off.
Before pics

TKCR 07-27-2020 07:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
These also got new GM buckle stickers.
After

TKCR 07-27-2020 07:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This is a set of Mahogany seatbelts
Before pics

TKCR 07-27-2020 07:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
And after

TKCR 07-27-2020 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Burgundy. This is another one of those set of seatbelts I didn’t get any before pics on. They really weren’t in bad shape at all. Just needed a good cleaning and freshened up with dye.

TKCR 07-27-2020 07:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Now these Saddle Tan belts. I really wished I had some before pics. I got these off eBay and I thought I could save those pics, but you can’t. So all I have is after. But these were very filthy and had a black mildew stains all over the webbing. This set of belts are probably the most time I have ever spent cleaning. My Mom even helped out with these. I believe she spent every bit of 2 hrs on the center buckles alone. We were trying different products, trying to get that black mildew stains out of the belts. Well I say we had luck. I ended up spending every bit of 3 hrs on each of the retractors. They turned out great!!

TKCR 07-27-2020 07:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Another set of CarmineRed seatbelts. I’ll be doing a seat for this guy also.

blazer2007 07-28-2020 10:42 AM

what dye did you use and how did you go about dyeing them

Nachos82 07-28-2020 02:40 PM

Every time I look at your page, I get the urge to go tear my seatbelts out and send them your way.

You are doing awesome work with these seatbelts (as well as your seats) and I thank you for continuing to update the threads with your latest works of art.

TKCR 07-28-2020 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nachos82 (Post 8783296)
Every time I look at your page, I get the urge to go tear my seatbelts out and send them your way.

You are doing awesome work with these seatbelts (as well as your seats) and I thank you for continuing to update the threads with your latest works of art.

Thanks for the kind words:metal:
Maybe during the winter months, we can plan on that. I got quite a few to do now. But I really enjoy the Before and After on some of these belts. There’s been a few that I really thought were past any help, lol.

TKCR 07-28-2020 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazer2007 (Post 8783166)
what dye did you use and how did you go about dyeing them

I use dye that is formulated for fabric & plastic. I get it from USA1 Industries. The key to dyeing success is cleaning and most importantly, prepping.

kglowacky 07-30-2020 08:32 PM

please confirm that is carmine red. It looks so more red then the before pictures. Do they fade that bad or is the other red

hatzie 07-30-2020 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kglowacky (Post 8784501)
please confirm that is carmine red. It looks so more red then the before pictures. Do they fade that bad or is the other red

UV light is what fades plastics, paint, and cloth. UV has a shorter wavelength than visible light.
Red pigments absorb more of the destructive high energy short wavelength UV light than other colors.

TKCR 07-30-2020 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kglowacky (Post 8784501)

They actually do fade that bad. The reds are the worst.

ACS 07-30-2020 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8782878)
These also got new GM buckle stickers.
After

Out of interest, were these belts manufactured by Allied Chemical or Irvin?

kglowacky 07-30-2020 10:57 PM

I had just decided to go with the other red for my 78 build (entire interior) because my trim is the color of the belts before your restoration and it looked way out of place next to my current metal dash color I never thought they could be so different in color then the real color. WOW I think I will buy a can of dye and get a better idea of the color first.

TKCR 07-31-2020 08:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kglowacky (Post 8784610)
I had just decided to go with the other red for my 78 build (entire interior) because my trim is the color of the belts before your restoration and it looked way out of place next to my current metal dash color I never thought they could be so different in color then the real color. WOW I think I will buy a can of dye and get a better idea of the color first.

Your 77-78 Red is not Carmine Red. It maybe a different shade, darker maybe, but I have never used the 77-78 Red, so I can’t say for sure. So trying to match my pics up to your interior isn’t the way to go. Anyways, some of the belts that I have done are either 79-80 CarmineRed and 81-83 CarmineRed, even those are different in color. Picture colors always look different on the computer, and verses the lighting. I’m sure your belts and your interior trim is faded, especially after 42 years. I haven’t come across an interior that hasn’t, no matter what the color.
Now if you want your seatbelts restored, I would use your belts and use the 78 Red, especially if that is actually your interior color. Best thing to do also, is if you have a SPID sheet in your glove box or on one of your inner fenders, see what it says your interior color is. A lot of people don’t realize that our trucks have had numerous different shades of reds, blues, tans, grays and greens.

TKCR 07-31-2020 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACS (Post 8784587)
Out of interest, were these belts manufactured by Allied Chemical or Irvin?

I don’t have any idea, never paid any attention to who actually manufactured them.

44th Miss Inf 07-31-2020 08:25 AM

Those look great. Might have to send you mine when I get to that point

kglowacky 07-31-2020 09:45 AM

I bought this truck in pieces. The previous owner says when he bought this truck this is the interior that was in it. All my interior pieces are the very faded red that your seatbelts show. My lower metal dash is a red that matches the outside of my two tone truck (red) which is a great deal a different red then the faded trim pieces. I am sure 78 red is the org interior color . I never had the dash pad or carpet . I am really not trying to match a org color other then I am having my seats recovered in GM Hounds tooth red and black and I want the red to match the rest of my new red interior. that lies the problem. Since I have no idea what the new dash pad and carpet color actually look like until I buy them. If I get them and they are way off next to my seat I will be buying another. I am on my way to the man recovering my seats and get a sample of what colors he is using and then I will try to match to it to any year that is the closest.. Thanks for all the help