The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Vendor Reviews (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   How I spent $920 on leaky radiator (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=767413)

MotoWells 07-13-2018 06:05 PM

How I spent $920 on leaky radiator

4 Attachment(s)
After exhaustively researching radiator options for my LS swap I decided to purchase a radiator from a trusted forum “Gold Vendor” - R&D Fabrication. I was sold on US built with US materials! What I received was a leaky radiator after 4k miles and a frustrating / ludicrous customer experience with no resolution. All told, I’m out $920 on a chunk of leaky aluminum.

Timeline of events with more detail (have emails for each event):

10/24/2016 - Purchased R&D radiator from Sparky for $730.00

...Building truck

8/15/2017 - Installed radiator in truck

...Put 4K miles on truck

2/14/2018 - Noticed radiator dripping and leaking from bottom

3/23/2018 - Me - Emailed R&D explaining leaking issue with pictures

3/27/2018 - Thanked me for pictures and replied that the pictures were too hard to tell what was happening, needed the radiator to pressure test and fix.

4/4/2018 - Me - Shipped radiator to R&D at my expense of $125 to his shop

4/13/2018 - Me - Emailed, checking on status

4/16/2018 - R&D -Replied, should be testing soon, will reply with results as soon as possible.

4/20/2018 - Me - Emailed asking for status of test

4/24/2018 - Me - Emailed asking for status of test

4/24/2018 - R&D - Emaiedl, All radiators have 1 year warranty, no refunds after that, no status provided!!

4/25/2018 - R&D - email, shop guys tested didn't find any leaks

4/25/2018 - Me - please pressure test overnight, I am positive it has a leak.

4/26/2018 - R&D - Found tube to header leak, fixing and will recheck for leaks

4/30/2018 - Me - Checking on status, how is it going?

5/1/2018 - R&D - Able to fix, will ship tomorrow. Need you to cover shipping, Invoice sent

5/1/2018 - Me - Paid invoice of $70.00 to get radiator returned

5/4/2018 - Me - Need status, please send tracking number

5/8/2018 - R&D - Found two more leaks after shop manager asked workers to test. Assured it would be fixed and shipped out this evening.

5/9/2018 - R&D - Tracking code sent

5/16/2018 - Me - Radiator arrives, I flush per instructions, when I add coolant I notice aluminum shavings that appear to be Stop Leak. Email R&D with concerns.

5/17/2018 - R&D we never use “Stop Leak”, most likely weld or resin residue, we use resin to “cover weld bleed through”

5/18/2018 - Me - Looks like leak is back, no joke.

5/20/2018 - Me - emailed R&D confirming leaks are back and worse than ever.

5/21/2018 - R&D sorry, pressure tested it multiple times before sending back, what cap and water pump are you using.

5/21/2018 - Me, 16psi cap with stock LS3 pump

5/22/2018 - Oh, we recommend 12-15 psi cap, I don't feel confident with further repairs. We will need to build a new one.

5/22/2018 - Me - how much?

No further emails received from R&D

Lessons learned:

I need to do my homework on a small shop before pulling the trigger. Next time I will request any terms and conditions as well as the warranty info upfront, before I purchase. I will also ask what they will do / what I need to do in the event of issue (i.e. shipping) Lastly, check to see if they are a legit company, just because they are a “Gold Vendor” doesn't mean they are a valid company. A quick search on that net revealed R&D does not have a valid business license since December 2016.

Ending:

I waited a long time before posting and really worked at only including details and not emotion here.

In the end, I called Entropy, they seem to be the real deal. I received my radiator in a couple weeks, exactly as promised. It fit perfect and it keeps the truck running quite a bit cooler. The materials and build quality are much more impressive, too. I only have a few hundred miles on at the time of this post so we will see if it holds but I have a lot more confidence in this unit already.

Lastly:

Anyone have ideas on what I should do with this leaky radiator? I can't seem to bring myself to recycle it.

NC_John 07-13-2018 06:13 PM

Re: How I spent $920 on leaky radiator

Sorry to hear it, that completely sucks.

I took forever trying to decide which way to go with my radiator and also went with entropy. Had to wait a few weeks which they told me up front but it is art. They are to radiators what boyds is to fuel tanks. Not cheap but well worth the money.

Got their fan controller afterwards as well. Just as happy with it.

flashed 07-13-2018 11:10 PM

I now know where not to shop for a Radiator .

Husker 07-13-2018 11:15 PM

Sorry some Co's bad customer service. They always have ways to push the blame
Ron

Grumpy old man 07-13-2018 11:21 PM

What do you want for that piece of leaky aluminum ?:chevy:

toolboxchev 07-14-2018 03:50 AM

Come on now Grumpy lets not feed off ones misery. I sympathize with the guy some suppliers out there are really just in it for the money trying to compete with the Top Dogs.

Ends up being a shamble, not fun. I got a pair of drums on my truck supposedly Wagners that are out of round no fun chinese crap.

dirish 07-14-2018 07:38 AM

I bought one from sparky, it leaked, they fixed. No problem
Since, however I wonder why I spent so much, when the lower neck hose isn't even angled correctly for our trucks?
I will shop better next time.

tmontg01 07-14-2018 09:03 AM

I'm glad you posted this, I was thinking of buying from them for my LS swap...based off being a "gold vender" and all on this forum.

MotoWells 07-14-2018 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8300722)
What do you want for that piece of leaky aluminum ?:chevy:

Grumpy - You can have it for shipping, no warranty :) DM me for details if you are serious. Hopefully you can get some value out of it.

Grumpy old man 07-14-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoWells (Post 8300866)
Grumpy - You can have it for shipping, no warranty :) DM me for details if you are serious. Hopefully you can get some value out of it.

Really ? I'll gladly pay shipping and see If I can fix it ? PM sent

Steve Cole 07-14-2018 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 8300711)
I now know where not to shop for a Radiator .

The fact that they only offer a 1 year warranty tells me they aren't very confident in their product. They should have replaced it for free.

weq92f 07-14-2018 11:46 AM

Pretty generous to allow Grumpy to take this chunk of aluminum off your hands there!

You could sell those fans and shroud to recoup at leas a couple hundred of your loss.

-klb

BCOWANWHEELS 07-14-2018 12:28 PM

16 lb cap, way too much. 5lb is plenty. rock auto rads are less than 200 delivered

Grumpy old man 07-14-2018 02:00 PM

Shipping is too high for me ,Maybe someone closer can take advantage of this good deal .:chevy:

stsalvage 07-14-2018 07:11 PM

do they make a brass and copper radiator of the LS swap

bigbadchev72 07-14-2018 10:38 PM

I am sure the state would love to hear about a business operating without a license in the state, IRS may be interested too. I have had great luck dealing with the State attorney general the couple of times I was wronged as a customer.

It is unfortunate that a company wont stand behind their product and it stings even more when you were sold on "quality" and spent big money for what ended up junk.

Do the next guy a favor and send karma their way by sending a couple emails to the state offices explaining what happened and the lack of a license.

raggedjim 07-15-2018 10:32 AM

I'd take it to a local old-school radiator shop. They could probably fix it.

Good luck, Rg

oldgold70c10 07-15-2018 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbadchev72 (Post 8301360)
I am sure the state would love to hear about a business operating without a license in the state, IRS may be interested too. I have had great luck dealing with the State attorney general the couple of times I was wronged as a customer.

It is unfortunate that a company wont stand behind their product and it stings even more when you were sold on "quality" and spent big money for what ended up junk.

Do the next guy a favor and send karma their way by sending a couple emails to the state offices explaining what happened and the lack of a license.

:agree:
I am sure the forum staff would want to know these things too.

projectking 07-15-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raggedjim (Post 8301558)

Good luck, Rg

I’d want to “hand deliver” it to the shop it came from....

projectking 07-15-2018 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbadchev72 (Post 8301360)

....but this is the responsible thing to do!

Killer Bee 07-15-2018 02:18 PM

so how many forum members have to get burned by other forum members before admin turns on itrader??

it's a built-in function of vBulletin and this is a pay-to-play forum marketplace so what gives?

a simple catchall feedback thread for everything doesn't cut it..

itrader ratings in each post header would fix 99% of these issues..

as for the radiator, I'm conflicted whether I'd rather 'hand deliver' or sick the goons on them..

sorry to hear of your loss.. thanks for warning the rest of us and good luck!

HO455 07-15-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raggedjim (Post 8301558)

Good luck, Rg

In my experience the problem with aluminum radiators is repairs are mostly limited to epoxying the leak. One of the reasons I went copper in my Burban. Copper leaks can be soldered.

Stocker 07-15-2018 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 8301675)
so how many forum members have to get burned by other forum members before admin turns on itrader??

it's a built-in function of vBulletin and this is a pay-to-play forum marketplace so what gives?

a simple catchall feedback thread for everything doesn't cut it..

itrader ratings in each post header would fix 99% of these issues..

as for the radiator, I'm conflicted whether I'd rather 'hand deliver' or sick the goons on them..

sorry to hear of your loss.. thanks for warning the rest of us and good luck!

This Review Board forum isn't enough? http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...splay.php?f=26

BRL 07-15-2018 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8301022)
Shipping is too high for me ,Maybe someone closer can take advantage of this good deal .:chevy:

I live about 22 miles away from you in Tahuya.

I don't need a radiator, but I would like to take this opportunity to express my amazement at how generous some of you forum members really are! :cool:

Maybe a lower pressure cap?

Would a can of sealant help with aluminum?

I like raggedjim's idea of taking it to a local old school shop to see if they could help.

Best of luck to you Bud. :)

Killer Bee 07-15-2018 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stocker (Post 8301694)
This Review Board forum isn't enough? http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...splay.php?f=26

most don't even post there or spend the time picking the fly poop out of the pepper..

iTrader is built in to vBulletin, just needs to be turned on..

paid subscribers on this forum don't deserve what's free in other forums?

most marketplaces have some sort of direct feedback, that how we weed out the bad guys..

making it handy and convenient makes it work!

If you saw this in the upper right corner of every post..

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/4888lqzm0sz...52379.jpg?dl=0

and this one click away, would you use it and look at it before you buy/sell..

would buy from/sell to me?

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/w0dyrb3qhcp...52188.jpg?dl=0