The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Tell me about seats.......? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=701720)

A1971Blazer 03-21-2016 09:21 PM

Tell me about seats.......?

5 Attachment(s)
I got this '70 K5 CST......body is rust free (repaired where necessary)....decent paint..
Attachment 1512909

I'm gonna get GrumpyOldMan to build me an interior.....he's really close to me and does incredible work...!

OK I have two sets of seats

the blue style came in it as I bought it........the bare one is out of a '71
Attachment 1512900

back side..........one has a larger back rest and a metal cover....
Attachment 1512901

blue one latches on the right...........other one.....center latch
Attachment 1512904

the floor mounts match at the front....but obviously the rear does not and there are no holes existing in the center.........that's no obstacle.....

just wondering which one will sit better/firmer/more comfortable?

the foam in the blue ones is worn out...gone in the others

gonna take the brackets and get zinc plated with gold chromate.......one set of seats will be "discarded"....:lol:

72gmguy 03-21-2016 09:56 PM

Re: Tell me about seats.......?

The blue seat is a cst sport seat and the other is a utility bucket seat. The blue seat is the upgrade and has side bolsters built into the foam. The utility bucket is pretty much flat with no bolster. I prefer the comfort of the blue sport bucket myself.

71swb4x4 03-21-2016 10:16 PM

12.75" vs 15.25"
As already mentioned the metal backed seats are called utility buckets. The other seats are the conventional, or sport buckets. They are not simply a swap out affair. The holes for the utility buckets are 15.25" apart, while the holes for the conventional buckets are 12.75" apart. The utility buckets are less popular, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them. They are a little wider so it's tough to squeeze the console between them, but it has been done.
The latch that you have on the blue seat is different from my Blazer's latch.

A1971Blazer 03-22-2016 07:30 AM

thanks for the replies..........the blue ones will get the makeover.......

1rippen6 03-22-2016 07:50 AM

Both seat types for 69-70 latch is off to the side as shown with the sport bucket set you have and both seat types for 71-72 latch in the center as shown with the utility bucket.

1rippen6 03-22-2016 07:52 AM

Looks like your sport seats may be missing some seat springs not sure the wood should be there.

A1971Blazer 03-22-2016 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1rippen6 (Post 7531283)
Looks like your sport seats may be missing some seat springs not sure the wood should be there.

I saw that plywood the first time I tilted it forward.......I was sure that GM stopped using wood in their automobiles MANY years ago...:lol:
Now I need to find out if/where I can get some springs.....?

68panelman 03-22-2016 08:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My 70 K5 has the utility buckets also, they were redone at some point, I'm not crazy about the seat cover and I have a center console that squeezes in tightly I don't even have to bolt it in. I do sit kinda high in them, I think they added a little too much foam?. I'm going to keep em cuz that's what came up my truck originally

hemi43 03-22-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1971Blazer (Post 7531298)
I was sure that GM stopped using wood in their automobiles MANY years ago...:lol:

Actually, GM used wooden floors in their C5 corvettes just a few years ago.

A1971Blazer 03-22-2016 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 7531465)
Actually, GM used wooden floors in their C5 corvettes just a few years ago.

Hey you're right........My '06 Z06 has balsa wood floors....! :lol:

69-72 03-22-2016 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can get springs anywhere that deals in upholstery. Once you take the cover and plywood off you will see where the spring are supposed to clip into. Messure the distance across and multiply by 5 for each seat. Add a few inches to that measurement. The spring comes on a coil so you will need a length to tell them for how much you need.

The sport buckets will give support keeping you from sliding around on turns and such, are significantantly more desirable and easier to get covers for.

A1971Blazer 03-23-2016 07:19 AM

Thank you my friend.........
I have no doubt that GrumpyOldMan can git-r-done...........
I'm not stuck on a "factory" look..........I want to go black vinyl with blue top stitch and some kind of blue/black cloth insert on the seating surface.

The rear seat is in great shape except for the arm rests.....like to put heaters in it.....

Also which vendor here has the best door panels with the woodgrain insert?

smupser 04-28-2021 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71swb4x4 (Post 7530990)
12.75" vs 15.25"
As already mentioned the metal backed seats are called utility buckets. The other seats are the conventional, or sport buckets. They are not simply a swap out affair. The holes for the utility buckets are 15.25" apart, while the holes for the conventional buckets are 12.75" apart. The utility buckets are less popular, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them. They are a little wider so it's tough to squeeze the console between them, but it has been done.
The latch that you have on the blue seat is different from my Blazer's latch.

Do you have any idea what was the last year they used utility seats? I have a 74’ with utility seats not sure if they’re original because someone tried to retrofit them with sport seat type brackets. So now I either find two correct sport seats or utility brackets.

DeadheadNM 04-28-2021 09:20 PM

It’s seems to me that 71 was the last model year for utility buckets. I’ve yet to see a non-CST 72 that has metal backed utility buckets. I think GM used a sport bucket for all K5s in 72 with the CSTs getting upgraded vinyl.

smupser 04-28-2021 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8914679)
It’s seems to me that 71 was the last model year for utility buckets. I’ve yet to see a non-CST 72 that has metal backed utility buckets. I think GM used a sport bucket for all K5s in 72 with the CSTs getting upgraded vinyl.

Makes me wonder if they swapped out the original seats for older utility seats and modified the original brackets to work. It’s a hack job so maybe that’s the case

A1971Blazer 04-30-2021 08:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by smupser (Post 8914720)
Makes me wonder if they swapped out the original seats for older utility seats and modified the original brackets to work. It’s a hack job so maybe that’s the case

The blue seats were the original sport buckets that were in it when I got it
I have long since redone the entire interior changing it to black and putting new seat covers along with new springs and foam....it's better than new now.
Attachment 2099040