The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 02-16-2015 11:18 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - ENGINE TORQUES

[quote=400/400;7051594]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7051146)

Oil Pan - 80 lb. in. (1/4-20 bolts) ('member this one is in inches dummy)
Oil Pan - 65 lb. in. (5/16-18 bolts) (so which one do I got?)

An easy way to size the diameter of bolts is to fit the threads of the bolt into open end wrenches.
The 1/4" bolts threaded area will fit nicely in a 1/4" inch wrench, 5/16" bolt threaded area in a 5/16" wrench and so on.

Good tip, thanks

Gregski 02-16-2015 11:27 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

2 Attachment(s)
Ok, guys here we go time to start assembling

first I soaked the new Fel Pro rear main gasket in some motor oil to ensure it is slippery to slide right in

in the next pick I show you how I am sliding it in, I slid it in further than this, to where it only stuck out 1/8th of an inch as per the instructions

since you've seen me bolt up the oil pump and oil pan already, I will spare you the re-run, lets just say its done

Gregski 02-16-2015 11:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
wait what, he's making a sandwich, this fool has lost his mind, we don't need to see his eating habits...

Wait a minute, oh no he didn't!

Gregski 02-16-2015 11:38 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Pilot Bushing Removal

2 Attachment(s)
makes the clean up real easy too

Gregski 02-16-2015 11:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
the pilot bushing that came with the Clutch Kit was not tapered in the back so after an hour of trying to tap it in the hole I decided to punt

I drove to NAPA and bought a new one, one that resembled the stock OEM one, more importantly it had a tapered rear end and cost only $5 bucks

on the way home I hit the grocery store and picked up a pound of dry ice for $3 bucks, it was either that or hide the new bushing in the freezer (and the ol' lady aint to keen about doing such outlandish things)

1 hour under the dry ice, a squirt of PB blaster in the hole, a socket and a hammer and a few gentle taps later she was in nice and flush

greg64 02-16-2015 11:50 PM

Where the heck did you come up with that bread technique? I've always packed grease behind the bushing to push it out.

Gregski 02-16-2015 11:53 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Flywheel

4 Attachment(s)
next up was the brand new $75 dollar flywheel

a little carb cleaner to wash off the grease (I find myself currently in between brake cleaner, ie I'm all out or I would use it)

a little blue locktite on each bolt

and she's on

Gregski 02-17-2015 12:00 AM

5 Attachment(s)
at some point I cleaned the frame rails a bit, got all the loose gravel off of them, and wiped them down with some mineral spirits

anybody know if the transmission cross member is supposed to come out, I would love to remove it so I can paint it

Gregski 02-17-2015 12:05 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - New Clutch

2 Attachment(s)
then it was time to put on the clutch, I have never installed a clutch before so I was really looking forward to this part, I couldn't wait to use the center plastic clutch tool, like the big boys do on all the car shows, that was so cool

also used some carb cleaner on the pressure plate to wipe off the grease they put on for storage to prevent rust

can't wait to try this normal diaphragm clutch, should be much more like a car clutch I hope

Gregski 02-17-2015 12:11 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Clutch Fork

5 Attachment(s)
managed to remove the clutch fork out of the bell housing, I tried it at night the first time and couldn't see what was holding it in, so I tried unscrewing that hex bolt which I recon is there for adjustment purposes, anywho in the daytime I realized I can just hammer it out and it slips right out

same goes for the throwout bearing just tap it out

do you see that notch in the old bearing, that don't belong there does it?

Gregski 02-17-2015 12:15 AM

so poured 3 quarts of oil back in (that's all I had) I recon it may need one more on the account that I did not change the oil filter as I did that just two moons ago, and called it a day, figured that's a good amount of work, up next is the bell housing, need to clean that thing

pray for no leaks over night

Gregski 02-17-2015 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7052206)
Where the heck did you come up with that bread technique? I've always packed grease behind the bushing to push it out.

LOL, it's what my grandpa would have shown me had he had a truck and knew how to work on it, JK - some forum, but you can YouTube it

Pilot Bearing Vs Slice of Bread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfDV982g4XM

... and you thought I had no skills

wileecoyote427 02-17-2015 01:26 AM

i been watchin this from day 1 and wish i did some of the fix on the go with my truck but she needed to much love your doing a great job if only you were closer id have given you the new clutch for my sm465 but im glad im not the only guy cuttin the crust off my samiches

rusty76 02-17-2015 09:07 AM

You da man.

greg64 02-17-2015 10:12 AM

Greg, that's a pretty funny (haha) technique with the bread. Seems to work though. I just shoot my grease gun into the recess.

I don't know why there's a notch in your old throwout bearing, but you shouldn't need it. One thing; check the direction sheet that came with the new clutch parts. The bearing can be put on the clutch fork two ways, but only one of them is correct.

Gregski 02-17-2015 10:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
spent some time cleaning what turned out to be Belle Housing... I guess princesses gotta live somewhere

let me take you on a little trip down memory lane as we remind ourselves what this thing looked like originally

rusty76 02-17-2015 10:22 PM

I'm not sure how you got that bellhousing so clean.....Geezzzzzz.

greg64 02-17-2015 10:32 PM

That bell housing looks great! Are you going to clean up the transmission next?

How about some paint on these parts?

rgunlock 02-17-2015 10:36 PM

ooohhh, Purdy and shiny!

Chaplain 02-18-2015 12:52 AM

Dang...

Gregski 02-18-2015 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7053763)
That bell housing looks great!

Thank you, I am very proud of myself as it was very dirty and the stuff was literally caked on there.

Quote:

Are you going to clean up the transmission next?

Actually I will do the clutch linkage next, fork and the bellcrank ie Z-bar, as I work my way back from the front of the truck to the rear in reassembly. Then the transmission and drive shaft last.

Quote:

How about some paint on these parts?

I believe the bell housing was originally Chevy orange (not a fan) I kinda like it natural aluminum, but some sort of clear coat wouldn't hurt, any advice on what to use?

Would love to rub some gray POR15 on the transmission eventually but am low on funds.

The drive shaft is getting a semi-gloss black POR15 treatment since I have some left over from when I painted the frame rails.

Gregski 02-18-2015 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7054065)
Dang...

That's what I said! Turned out nice, real nice.

rich weyand 02-18-2015 02:59 AM

I would polish it with Simichrome and a buffing wheel, and leave it at that. Used to do that all the time on motorcycle cases, triple trees, etc. The bikes with coated aluminum always looked like garbage after a couple years, because it is very hard to keep a clear coat on aluminum, and they would chip and flake off. Looks awful.

Here's what polished bare aluminum looks like.

http://belmontcycle.com/yahoo_site_a...115842_std.jpg

Gregski 02-18-2015 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich weyand (Post 7054159)
I would polish it with Simichrome and a buffing wheel, and leave it at that.

Thanks Rich, I will look into that, I was wondering about some sort of protection coat on the account that I thought aluminum from the factory comes with something on it, more importantly is that your Norton?

rich weyand 02-18-2015 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7054174)
Thanks Rich, I will look into that, I was wondering about some sort of protection coat on the account that I thought aluminum from the factory comes with something on it, more importantly is that your Norton?

Nah, that's just a picture I found on the net.

Mine's an 850 Commando.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/37811052?w...362295&veh=sem