The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Not another build thread! Progress on my '67 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=192693)

67ChevyRedneck 03-14-2006 11:56 AM

Not another build thread! Progress on my '67

5 Attachment(s)
Well, I think everyone likes build threads, so it's about time I start my own.

Background:

I bought the '67 in 1996 from my uncle. I lived in a rural town in southwest NY and my uncle drove the truck up from SC. He decided to sell it and not drive it back home. I paid $1,400 for it with new brakes and tires all the way around. I basically added a stereo, some speakers, replaced the heater core, sanded the body down, my dad sprayed it with a primer with clear, and I drove it when there was no snow on the ground for the next 2 1/2 years. It had the stock 250 six popper, 3 speed converted to the floor, and 3.73 rear. It sat for the next 3 1/2 years while I attended Clemson University in Clemson, SC. I lived with the same uncle who sold me the truck in columiba SC in the summers when I wasn't at school. He trailered the truck down from NY for me and that summer I began a mild rebuild.

The 250 and 3spd were tossed in favor of a rebuilt 350 from advance (quit laughing it was only $700 and I still had a year of school left) and a junkyard 700R4. I also pirated a complete power disk brake set up from a 71 GMC at a local 'yard. The suspension was tore down, cleaned, painted, and ALL NEW parts installed: rotors, calipers, brake lines, pads, ball joints, tie rods, bushings, etc... I got it all back together and running and ran out of money but I got to drive it to my last year of college...untill the trans blew in late February 2004. 2 years later I FINALLY have the money to finish it. UNFORTUNATELY I live in an apartment complex in Greenville, SC (2 hours from where my unlces house, and the truck, are in columbia.) So I have to "plan" weekends to work on it.

What I've done recently: Purchased goodmark doors and fenders coated/painted them inside and out (the backside) with eastwoods rust encapsulator and topped that off with a coating of truck bedliner. Got a nice rust free set of rear fenders, need to start cleaning them up. I've installed a set of split bench seats from a 93 silverado and added insulation to the cab floor. I've also installed new cab mounts. I hope to get it back on the road by July of this year in a coat of Maui Blue paint. I'll keep this thread open for progress. Enjoy.

67ChevyRedneck 03-14-2006 12:01 PM

Re: Not another build thread! Progress on my '67

5 Attachment(s)
The motor used to look pretty. I took the truck "muddin" a couple times and never cleaned it. That will change when she is painted all pretty.

67ChevyRedneck 03-14-2006 12:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some work and some parts....

67ChevyRedneck 03-14-2006 12:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
More parts........

Canadian694x4 03-14-2006 01:41 PM

Looks Good...Always room for another build thread!

72armyswbtruck 03-14-2006 03:24 PM

Lookin good, wow that was a new york truck?

67ChevyRedneck 03-14-2006 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72armyswbtruck
Lookin good, wow that was a new york truck?

Nope, not originally. It was built in the St. Lous plant and ended up in Brownsfield, Tx for a few years. It then somehow made its way to Columbia, SC. My uncle drove it to NY (with my aunt complaining how hot it was the whole way:lol: ) and decided to sell it. He took a greyhound back to columbia, SC. The truck sat for sale in front of my grandpas house for $1,800 for about 3 months. I begged him every week to sell it to me, but the best I could do was $1,400. He sold it to me and I drove it to HS and to work but only during the spring, summer, fall. The truck has never seen a salted road. I went to college in Clemson, SC and eventuelly moved to greenville, SC. The truck was only in NY from 1996 to 2003, and like I said it never saw salt, BUT the humidity took its toll. When I fist bought the truck you could read the chalk numbers on the still black painted frame. From it's 7 year stay in NY the frame now has a light coating of surface rust. They body is fairly straight and solid, but my lack of time, my own garage, and skills lead me to ditch my doors and fenders for goodmark units. When I do get my own house/garage the truck will be torn down completely, but for now I have/am replacing all the body panels and mechanical components I can, so if I ever get hitched to my girl of 2 1/2 years, I'll have alraedy spent 90% of the money needed to fully restore the truck, that way she can't complain too much! Wow, that was long winded :lol:

71SWBChevy 03-14-2006 03:57 PM

Go man, get that thing looking good!

67ChevyRedneck 03-20-2006 11:32 AM

Got some more stuff done this weekend. I got some of the dents straighter in my new "used" 67 rear step fenders with a hammer and dolly. They are completely rust free, so I can't complain too much. I also stripped all of the old undercoating from the rear fenders with a chemical stripper (that was a nasty mess). I cleaned up and painted the radiator overflow bottle and I painted my ECE 6 lug rotors and ECE sway bar.

67chevemall 03-20-2006 11:42 AM

Nice cab mounts.......man I need to do that........

Good stuff...It looks like your hooked now....

67ChevyRedneck 03-20-2006 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67chevemall
Nice cab mounts.......man I need to do that........

Good stuff...It looks like your hooked now....

I've been hooked for years.... looks like college is finally paying off.... I have $$$ to work on my truck after 9 years of not having any:lol:

LUV2XCLR8 03-20-2006 06:39 PM

:c2:

Yukon Jack 03-21-2006 11:05 AM

Looks like a great project, keep after it!

67ChevyRedneck 04-09-2006 05:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Picked up some bling bling (old skewl style!) from the charlotte auto fair for my '67. I hope to head to columbia on friday to get the fenders and doors installed and lined up properly. Just for information purposes, I bought the repop tailgate for $150. It weighed 23 pounds and my stock gate weighed 25 pounds. The metal looks thick and solid. I had to carry it about a mile and a half back to my truck (and no, I'm not exagerating).... I'm sore as heck today....

saxmo 04-09-2006 05:54 PM

how'd the goodmark metal work for you? Does it fit good?

Palf70Step 04-09-2006 06:16 PM

It's looking good there. So how do those seats ride for ya?

Joe67 04-10-2006 07:30 AM

Nice project :cool:
Nice load of chrome there! I love seeing nice parts in the house :lol:

67ChevyRedneck 04-10-2006 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saxmo
how'd the goodmark metal work for you? Does it fit good?

Won't know until this weekend. Hopefully it will fit well:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step
It's looking good there. So how do those seats ride for ya?

With only 2 gears the truck can't go too fast, but they feel nice riding around the yard!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67c10step
Nice project :cool:
Nice load of chrome there! I love seeing nice parts in the house :lol:

That's the only place I have to put them:(

I had to stay away from the American Racing booth at the show.... I would have REALLY come home broke!

Joe67 04-10-2006 09:15 AM

My chassis, cab and FESM are in the garage. The Bed and everything else is in my basement :lol:

67ChevyRedneck 04-16-2006 08:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I headed out to Columbia early friday morning to get some work done on the '67. After a 2 hour drive I fired "faith" up and drove her around to the garage. She purred like a kitten, even after sitting for almost a month. I dove right into work. Here's how she started friday:

67ChevyRedneck 04-16-2006 08:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I cleaned up a few things.... I removed all of the old sealant from the cab with a wire wheel and then cleaned it up with some "rust encapsulator" and then put some new seam stuff back in. I also rebuilt the door hinges.

67ChevyRedneck 04-16-2006 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Before mounting my new goodmark sheetmetal I spent a lot of time with eastwoods rust encapsulator painting every crevice on the backsides and insides of the doors and fenders. I then topped of the inside of the fenders with some truck bed coating and the inside of the doors with some rubberized undercoating. This was all done weeks ago so all I had to do this weekend was put the stuff on. I also rechecked my cab to make sure it didn't shift when I installed the new cab mounts. To my shock it was dead on! I WAS expecting to have to adjust it. That really made me happy. I also painted the front of the door jams and front of the doors with spray can blue because once this stuff is on, it's not coming back off! Don't forget to install new radiator support mounts!

67ChevyRedneck 04-16-2006 08:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
On to the good stuff. The goodmark stuff. You can see from the pics that it all fit nicely in the end, what you don't see is the entire day I had to spend installing it to get it that way! I am happy with the fit and finish. I am confident others can get it to fit this nice too. I am NOT A BODY MAN, just a hobbyist with patience. How did I get this stuff to fit? IT DOES NOT FIT OUT OF THE BOX! I had to bend the window frames about a half inch out on both sides. I used the old 2x4 method (charlie did the same thing on the '56 for American Hot Rod). I also had to enlarge existing holes to get the fenders to fit where I wanted and use spacers. I also had to apply a few taps from a body hammer here and there as well. I did not have the time or energy to finish the hood and cowl install. I did this all by myself and was comepletely exhausted today. The hood and cowl (original pieces, NOT goodmark) are sitting in place and look like they will fit well with some play. Here are some pics of the fit I got, you be the judge on Goodmark quality.

67ChevyRedneck 04-16-2006 08:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Some more.....

67ChevyRedneck 04-16-2006 08:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The hardest part of the weekend to install:lol: