The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Alternator mounting with fuelie heads (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=448830)

Barney1970 CST 02-23-2011 09:41 PM

Alternator mounting with fuelie heads

Hello guys,
I am unsure what to do here, any information would be great.
I have a 70 CST 1/2 ton with a 350, I pulled the motor and was going to rebuild it. A friend of mine has a machine shop and sold me a 350 with 327 heads he just finished building, and the customer would not pay for. So I got the motor cheaper then rebuilding my motor, just had to pay for his machine work and labor. I have the motor in place and the power steering pump is on the motor no problem. I need to mount the alternator but I have no accessory holes on the heads. My buddy called them fuelie heads, I am sure there must be some type of bracket to mount the alternator. Or do I need to fab something up? Sorry I forgot to tell you that the motor has a long water pump. I have the power steering pump mounted off the block and the water pump. No more hole left on the drivers side so the way I see it the alternator will have to go on the pass. side of motor. It is a a/c truck also, but the compressor is bad so I will cross that bridge when I get to it, if I hook up the a/c. I am close to having her running again, any and all ideas welcomed.
Thanks for any help!

1968SWBBigBlock 02-23-2011 10:12 PM

Re: Alternator mounting with fuelie heads

You should be able to buy an aftermarket bracket - the issue might be they are all designed for a short water pump when we look at the passenger side mounts.
You can also look at a low mount kit for the passenger side which might get you to where you need to go - might have to go billet alum

Barney1970 CST 02-23-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1968SWBBigBlock (Post 4508872)
You should be able to buy an aftermarket bracket - the issue might be they are all designed for a short water pump when we look at the passenger side mounts.
You can also look at a low mount kit for the passenger side which might get you to where you need to go - might have to go billet alum

Thanks for the help. I have never heard of a low mount kit, do you know of any company or information I can look up to find something like that. I will try and goggle it and see what I come up with.

morgan71 02-23-2011 10:25 PM

Check out this website. Stuff is made in Kansas real good quality for a fair price. I just bought a set for my BBC project. http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/S..._Long_Pump.htm

Barney1970 CST 02-23-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgan71 (Post 4508916)
Check out this website. Stuff is made in Kansas real good quality for a fair price. I just bought a set for my BBC project. http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/S..._Long_Pump.htm

Thanks for your help, I will check it out now. I have another 70 CST that is a factory big block. I got the motor for it, but the brackets have long since been gone, hope they can help me out on that also.

kaycee 02-23-2011 11:14 PM

You can buy a aftermarket bracket for about $20 if your running headers that will keep it on the drvs side.If your running the ram horns manifold then the bolt hole is on the end of the manifold for the alt. to mount allso on the drvs side,I am running 327 with fuelie,power pak, camel hump, 202 heads and my alt is on the drvs side I am running it with headers.

Barney1970 CST 02-23-2011 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaycee (Post 4509075)
You can buy a aftermarket bracket for about $20 if your running headers that will keep it on the drvs side.If your running the ram horns manifold then the bolt hole is on the end of the manifold for the alt. to mount allso on the drvs side,I am running 327 with fuelie,power pak, camel hump, 202 heads and my alt is on the drvs side I am running it with headers.

That is the same head I am running, or tpye of head. I have ram horns now but I am sure I will put on headers. With the ram horns, I have hole on the manifold, is the bracket sore of Y shaped to connect to the two hole in the alternator. I would assume one side of the bracket has a slot for adjustment, or is there also a lower bracket?

kaycee 02-24-2011 12:46 AM

You use a long bracket that goes to the top water pump bolt or to the intake that has a long slot on it for adj..The bottom one is sort of a Y shape I am not worth a dam at posting pics but do search and I think you'll find a pic

too much stuff 02-24-2011 12:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not the best pic, but maybe you can see enough of the rams horn manifold if you stick with those...
Never mind, i thought the pic showed the front better. Sorry.

kaycee 02-24-2011 01:02 AM

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...nator+brackets
TRY THIS it is the best I could find with my lmited computer skills.:metal:

Barney1970 CST 02-24-2011 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaycee (Post 4509328)
You use a long bracket that goes to the top water pump bolt or to the intake that has a long slot on it for adj..The bottom one is sort of a Y shape I am not worth a dam at posting pics but do search and I think you'll find a pic

I think I know what you are saying. I have seen that tpye of set up before. If I could turn the brackets I have now upside down and bend the end of the top bracket it would work great. I will search for them. Thanks.

Barney1970 CST 02-24-2011 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too much stuff (Post 4509349)
Not the best pic, but maybe you can see enough of the rams horn manifold if you stick with those...
Never mind, i thought the pic showed the front better. Sorry.

Thanks for trying. I will most like go with the rams horns for now because the exaust will hook right up. I think I have a idea how it will work now. Thanks.

Barney1970 CST 02-24-2011 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaycee (Post 4509369)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...nator+brackets
TRY THIS it is the best I could find with my lmited computer skills.:metal:

Thanks for the help the link showed me exacting what I am looking for. You guy sure are helpful.

vectorit 02-24-2011 01:34 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are pics of my stock set up with rams, and I am running a short water pump.

I think you may run into a few head aches running the tall water pump, so you may consider going with a short one to make early style brackets work right.

Barney1970 CST 02-24-2011 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vectorit (Post 4509431)
Here are pics of my stock set up with rams, and I am running a short water pump.

I think you may run into a few head aches running the tall water pump, so you may consider going with a short one to make early style brackets work right.

Thanks for pictures. All the brackets look stock and should be able to be gotten without to much trouble. I think you are right if I want to use stock bracket I need to switch to short water pump. If I keep the long, I may have to go with aftermarket brackets. I think the short water pump is cheaper then the aftermarket brackets, but I got to get brackets either way. Thanks for the pictures and your help.

Sammy 02-24-2011 07:54 AM

Curious as to if the machine shop can drill and tap a hole in these heads? Has that been asked? If so that would have to be much cheaper and less headaches than buying new brackets.

MARKDTN 02-24-2011 08:19 AM

I am going to suggest a whole different route. Take those heads off and sell them to a muscle car collector. Go buy some brand new Vortec heads for less than what the right buyer will pay for high quality rebuilt fuelie or double-hump heads. You get 1) Hardened valve seats 2)holes for acessories 3)better combustion-more power and efficiency 4) valve covers that seal. Same exhaust, you do have to get a special intake-or redrill the Vortec heads for early intake pattern. Just a thought.

Jeffs70 02-24-2011 08:32 AM

I have the same setup your working with but on my 383 stroker, I have a short water pump with fuelie heads, I made my own brackets I will get a set of pictures to show later today.

brn agn 02-24-2011 01:25 PM

I have a 327 with a long water pump and no accessory holes in the head. I am running the power steering pump on the driver's side and using Alan Grove brackets to run the alternator on the passenger side.

It is part number 215R - Alt. and 215RO - Alt. on the link below.

http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/S..._Long_Pump.htm

I got them a little cheaper through www.amazon.com.

Here is the only picture I have right now:

http://i973.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/IMG_4780.jpg

Micks72 10-21-2020 11:22 PM

Where may i buy a bracket like this, for a set of 462's and keep alt on driver side. Also do you know where i may find an a/c bracket for passenger side?

kaycee 10-22-2020 08:27 AM

Look in the for sale section for a/c brackets ,allso sumitt has the alt. brackets