The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 03-19-2016 12:53 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

2 Attachment(s)
got to cleaning the valves out of the new heads (C 16 9) today, don't worry I'll spare you the mug shots, but I am beginning to think that the exhaust valves just corode and pit much more than the intake cause they run hotter, duh

seems like it don't matter if they came out of an engine with 234,000 miles on it or 134,000 they look the same to me

Would you agree? Concur? Object?

Gregski 03-19-2016 12:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
what in the world has happened to my face shield, you can almost see through it, looks like an Alpaca spat on my face

honey?! who let the Alpaca out again?

Gregski 03-19-2016 12:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
now what was I talking about, ah yes, valves, lets take a look at one sample intake valve out of the new (C 16 9) heads

just look at that stunning beauty, that's hot (get it) explosive even!

Gregski 03-19-2016 01:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
alright Greg, so there's no cracks, the heads are true, and the valves are cleaned what are we gonna do next?

I donno, wanna lap dance?

Gregski 03-19-2016 01:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
well folks when the dinosaurs roamed the earth the Flintsones would have used one of em them plunger looking tools to lap the valves, the process would look like the caveman trying to start a fire by rubbing a stick between the palms of his hands atop of a piece of bark or something, the stuff we put on valves was called lapping compound

but then drills were invented and YouTube came along, and that changed everything, even the stuff is now called "grinding" compound [excuse me] lol

Gregski 03-19-2016 01:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
honestly this is the first time in my life that six inches proved to be too long, (I am talking about the rubber hose people) so I cut it down to 3 or so, but even then I had to switch from clear to a 1/4" 50 PSI black hose (one I wanted to use all along but couldn't find it) someone put it where I keep all my hoses and it was hidden in plain site, had to use my beer goggles to find it

notice I also switched to my trusty De Walt cordless drill cause it has veriable speeds, the slower the better, slow and low baby slow and low, that is the ... tempo

Side Note: played around with masking the heads for paint, god I wish to do anything but head work right now, how I would love to paint me something

Gregski 03-19-2016 01:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
WHO LET THE WIFE INTO THE WORKSHOP? - Honey put the camera down and slowly back away. not only do I do all the work myself, but I also do all my own stunts!

TOP TIP: don't just spin the drill while pulling on it, move the drill in and out so it raises the valve and falls back into the seat getting a good contact each time

Gregski 03-19-2016 01:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the tube of gunk you put on the valve says use liberal amount, so I did

whats the motor oil for Greg? I use the motor oil on the valve stem so it don't rub metal on metal in the valve guide, this is some oil I happen to have for my wifes plastic Honda Pilot, I would have prefered some with some Zinc in it, but shhhh don't tell

Gregski 03-19-2016 01:32 AM

4 Attachment(s)
OK, so since this has literally been my first Rodeo, I took it nice and easy, I decided to do the exhaust valves first as they needed it most, and I ground each a bit and stopped and took them out and examined them, so the first pic is of a valve about half way done, the second pic is aftet I put it back in and ground it some more, and the third pic when it was done, better safe than sorry

IMPORTANT, when you run the drill run it both ways, a little bit forward and than reverse direction

just wanted to show you the progression, and then the last shot is a stare and compare of how the valve starts out looking compared to one that has been lapped

Gregski 03-19-2016 01:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
now the valves aint the only thing getting smoother and less shinny, that would be like clapping with one hand, the valve seats are getting some grindage love too

I am beginning to realize that as much as we like the bits on the outside of the motor to be shinny, they actually prefer to be a bit dull on the inside, (think honed cylinders) am I right Master Machinists?

here is a not lapped valve seat (shinny mirror like finish) compared to a lapped one (dull)

This is looking good, Man I tell you this truck is going to be the fastest "Drop Your Kid At Piano Lesson" Truck in town.

Gregski 03-19-2016 01:39 AM

5 Attachment(s)
so Driver Side exhaust valves and seats lapped

Gregski 03-19-2016 01:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
now onto the intake valves, these in my opinion didn't need as much grindage so I took it easier

pic 1 - first intake valve done

pic 2 - a little before and after stare and compare

Gregski 03-19-2016 01:45 AM

4 Attachment(s)
and the intake valves and valve seats are done, lapped, good

Gregski 03-19-2016 01:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
look more parts, I think all the big stuff is here now, I may be missing some gaskets, a belt, and a freeze plug or two, but I can get that stuff locally

SERIOUSLY Greg? We're going to get there one bolt at a time? No, ha ha, I had to buy one bolt because the other lot came with like 15 or something and I needed a total of 16 of course

the Timing Set is from an outfit called GM Parts Direct, seemed to have the parts that Summit and JEGS let me down on

Gregski 03-19-2016 02:02 AM

5 Attachment(s)
yeah I decided to buy brand new head bolts, my daddy if he was a car guy I'm sure would say "son you never wanna reuse old head bolts" needless to say I bought these bad boys from privateers no eBay

all together there be:

16 - short ones 7/16-14 x 1-3/4" GM part number 10168527

14 - long ones 7/16-14 x 3-13/16" GM part number 10168525

4 - medium ones 7/16-14 x 3-1/16" GM part number 10168526

I'm not sure many people know this, but when GM designed the Vortec cylinder heads they had two goals:

1. Design the best flowing iron heads they could.

2. Use up their surplus of head bolts, ie 17 per head

Gregski 03-19-2016 02:07 AM

... and the Greg is pooped!

tomorrow we lap the other head and GM gods willing maybe dab some Cast Iron paint on 'em

check out this guys thread, he seems to know what he's doing

Cast Iron Engine Spray Paint Shootout

y5mgisi 03-19-2016 09:14 AM

Good work Gregski! Glad to see you got a set of heads that re going to work out for you!

Gregski 03-19-2016 02:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
that's better

Jeramy 03-19-2016 05:47 PM

Glad your wearing eye protection. i got a piece of cast in my eye last sunday grinding flashing off my block and had to go to eye doctor on wednesday to have it removed.

Gregski 03-19-2016 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeramy (Post 7528213)
Glad your wearing eye protection. i got a piece of cast in my eye last sunday grinding flashing off my block and had to go to eye doctor on wednesday to have it removed.

Oh no Jeramy I hope your eye is ok. I constantly hear the wire wheel whiskers richochete off my face shield as they come loose, so I know it's earning its keep and worth every penny of that $13.97, money well spent!

For anyone reading, I strongly recommend the full face shield, since when I try the ugly high school chemistry class goggles I get wire wheel bristles literally stuck in my cheeks, and that's not my idea of Acupuncture

Jeramy 03-19-2016 07:23 PM

still a little foggy on the left side but better each day.

Blessed66 03-19-2016 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7527741)
I'm not sure many people know this, but when GM designed the Vortec cylinder heads they had two goals:

1. Design the best flowing iron heads they could.

2. Use up their surplus of head bolts, ie 17 per head

Sounds legit, to me.

I did choke a little on my drink, though. So now there's two reasons for the tears. :lol:

rich weyand 03-19-2016 09:56 PM

Yup, that's the way they're supposed to look after lapping. Nice job!

chevybuldr 03-19-2016 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7527698)
You trying to rain on my parade Stu? jk I don't see nothin' looks blurry to me, ha ha

seriously looks like maybe a casting imperfection that survived 134,000 miles, there is plenty of meat behind it, but its just black and not shinny, I took a flat file to it to grind down the sharp edges a bit, I think it will be ok

Your right that is a casting in-perfection. That is also the fire ring of the gasket that it goes right up to. You should be good. Nice job on lapping the valves.

peabobble 03-19-2016 11:15 PM

My dad would steal (repurpose) my wooden arrows with the suction cups, cut 'em down and push 'em on the valve head side. He was a low budget master.