The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 03-01-2015 03:15 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 7071129)
On another note, I think we're due for some progress pics of your truck -- a few shots of the outside, inside, and engine compartment.

Good idea, remember a while back when I removed the radiator shroud to clean and blackatize it, well I don't recon I ever took pics of it when installed, so here they are, before and after.

(dang it the pics aint too good cause of the sun... complain, complain, complain, I get it, sorry)

Gregski 03-01-2015 03:20 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Window Seals

2 Attachment(s)
also remember a while ago when I took off the door panels to paint them, well since I had them off I opted to replace the window seals as well, so these are the parts that came in

Greg, you and boxes, why are you showing us boxes? Easy Grasshopper, I am just sharing that they are not formed, shaped or molded, they come from LMC Truck just rolled up like that, I think that's good to know

Gregski 03-01-2015 03:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
so as my grandfather would say if he was alive, had a truck, and knew how to work on one: "I'll sleep when I'm dead!"

so here's how I replaced the driver side window seals (not the door seals, the window seals only)

to get the old ones out (and there is two of them, one is bendy and one is straight) I just used a flat screw driver and broke them, or I should say they broke while I was trying to gently pry them out - so you may need to sacrifice them

Question: were the original seals shaped/molded hard plastic? Or is this what 40 plus years does to them?

Pic 1 - old driver side window seal removed (plus precision implement, lol)

Pic 2 - remains of old driver side window seal next to brand new one

Pic 3 - remains of old driver side window seal next to brand new one plus another brand new one still in the bag

Pic 4 - Close up of the part number (there is no left or right one for this part, its all the same part number)

Pic 5 - What just the new parts look like, opened and stretched out and how it comes in a bag

Don't mean to insult you all, just trying to help.

Gregski 03-01-2015 03:32 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - More Window Seals

1 Attachment(s)
ok so here is what the bendy seals look like, driver side and passenger side as if you were standing behind the truck looking forward, they curve on the outside of the door frame, the part by the door handle than up from there

Gregski 03-01-2015 03:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok, next I removed the driver side vertical window seal from the post that separates the window from the triangular vent window

Pic 1 - the old seal (starts out crumbling then the rest / the bottom slides up and out)

Pic 2 - the old seal side by side with the new one

Pic 3 - the old seal side by side with the new one, plus another new one in the bag (different part number, there is a left and a right one)

Pic 4 - the two new vertical seals

Gregski 03-01-2015 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok, this is what makes the vertical window seal so special, it is just this metal retaining clip, that snaps into place and keeps it from sliding down, seal shows is the driver side, the clip is on the opposite side on the passenger side

a bit confusing in the pic because normally the seal is facing away from you, but I have it looking at you so you can see the clip

Gregski 03-01-2015 03:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
OK, there is no screws to undue, do not unscrew that philips on the very top of your door, no need

once the old seals were out, I just used a paper towel and some Denatured Alcohol (from Home Depot) to wipe down all the tracks, remove the rust, and dust, and what ever else lurked in there

not a bad time to reach down carefully inside the door cavity and cut your arm up [ahem] I mean retrieve and debris that may have accumulated (and is rattling and driving you crazy ~ just sayin')

You will NOT be using any glue, rubber cement, or adhesive, or at least I didn't, these seals just snap into place

Gregski 03-01-2015 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the vertical window seal installed, a bit hard to see but it's in there

MikeB 03-01-2015 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7071317)
You can never have too many jack stands. I bought a bunch of 6 tons at a swap meet cheap, and I also have 2 ton (short) and 12 ton (tall and beefy).

I have four 5T stands that were made by Excel in Arkansas back in the 90s. Also have a two 12T imported stands, but they're pretty nice. They are awesome for getting a truck up in the air, and are 18" tall at the lowest position! I typically use them under the axle tubes.

http://www.northerntool.com/images/p...53_700x700.jpg

Gregski 03-01-2015 05:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
then there are the horizontal parts which come both in exterior and interior and passenger and driver sides

drive side shown

Gregski 03-01-2015 05:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
you may think your external horizontal window seal is in good nick, but if you look closely, what they lose is that 1/8th of an inch extra rubbery strip that actually seals against the window, so if yours is all gone you may not even know what you are missing, see below

Gregski 03-01-2015 05:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
new and old interior and exterior driver side horizontal window seals side by side

Gregski 03-01-2015 05:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
enuff already, geez, ok one last pick of what you actually get in the kit per side, here is driver side shown with all four new pieces

Gregski 03-01-2015 05:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
outside driver side horizontal exterior window seal snapped into place

Gregski 03-01-2015 05:21 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Door Panels

5 Attachment(s)
other materials

El Sello Universal Weatherstrip, lol I just picked this up at AutoZone, it is not a direct replacement for what came on the truck this is foam a bit heftier, later I found the exact match at ACE Hardware, and that one is narrower and spongier, but mine works too, it has double sided sticky tape on one side

this goes in between the door and the plastic door panel, may keep it from rattlin' or something

I ran a strip just under 4 ft I think, one spool was enuff for both doors plus had just under 2 feet left over

Gregski 03-01-2015 05:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I despise these little white plastic door panel clippy clips, I do

the original ones looked ok, but were brittle and done with, so I bought a pack of six, although you only need two per door

also the inner horizontal window seal attaches to the top of the door panel

Gregski 03-01-2015 05:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ok so finally the before and after shots of the driver side door

so your thoughts? what do you all think?

LSX408 03-01-2015 05:59 PM

Looks great! Nice work!

Jake Wade 03-01-2015 06:00 PM

Looks really nice, keep up the good work!

greg64 03-01-2015 06:10 PM

Looks way better! I used the exact same kit from LMC for my doors. Old stuff had gone bad the same as yours. While I had the door apart, I also put sound deadening in the outside door skin. Helped a lot with road noise.

rich weyand 03-01-2015 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7071612)
Looks way better! I used the exact same kit from LMC for my doors. Old stuff had gone bad the same as yours. While I had the door apart, I also put sound deadening in the outside door skin. Helped a lot with road noise.

What kind of sound deadening did you use?

Gregski 03-01-2015 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7071612)

Greg should we talk or are you just going to read my mind directly, LOL, jk

Jake Wade 03-01-2015 07:14 PM

What's next on the to do list?

rusty76 03-01-2015 07:14 PM

Everything looks great. You've done real good.

Gregski 03-01-2015 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
anybody know if this thing in the door/window scissor track is round or oval, should it slide or rotate like a wheel, mine doesn't