The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Slip on or press on drums ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=827137)

Johnl48 10-23-2021 08:32 PM

Slip on or press on drums ?

I'm doing an axle swap to a 14 bolt 1 ton. The axle came without drums. In order to know what disc brake kit to order I need to know if they were slip on or press on. Can you tell by looking at hubs ?

https://www.beamingpix.com/images/20..._Messenger.jpg

sweetk30 10-23-2021 09:06 PM

Re: Slip on or press on drums ?

What year is stamped in ring gear is a big help .

But from what i can see on my phone zoomed in there early press on drum .

Were the wheel sits there is just 1 surface for the wheel center to register on and center up .

If they were slip on drum or even newer disc there would be two lip step . 1 for drum or disc and 1 for wheel .

And you look on the back side note the machined lip for the drum to center up .

Anymore better option is use a 99-newer 14ff from gas engine trucks . Same basic axle but disc brake AND parking brake . Just need 14x1.5mm lug nuts . And new leaf spring perches and shock mounts .

Johnl48 10-23-2021 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetk30 (Post 8987411)
What year is stamped in ring gear is a big help .

But from what i can see on my phone zoomed in there early press on drum .

Were the wheel sits there is just 1 surface for the wheel center to register on and center up .

If they were slip on drum or even newer disc there would be two lip step . 1 for drum or disc and 1 for wheel .

And you look on the back side note the machined lip for the drum to center up .

Anymore better option is use a 99-newer 14ff from gas engine trucks . Same basic axle but disc brake AND parking brake . Just need 14x1.5mm lug nuts . And new leaf spring perches and shock mounts .

So is it just the hub that's different between the slip on and press on or is the housing different also ?

57taskforce 10-24-2021 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnl48 (Post 8987413)
So is it just the hub that's different between the slip on and press on or is the housing different also ?

Those are press on drum. The Hubs and drums are the only difference between slip and press. The housings have changed a bit thru the years as well.

sweetk30 10-27-2021 09:20 PM

NO THERE IS A MAJOR CHANGE

i found this out the hard way 1 time . i had all the parts to go disk from a mid 70's i had with aftermarket kit . i wanted to install on a 96 c3500 truck and the newer with slip on drums and i found out the hard way the spindles are different and the bearings are set a little closer together .

and even in the aftermarket world there is 2 specific kits .

Johnl48 10-27-2021 09:28 PM

Guy from lugnut told me the only difference in the kit are the rotors and caliper brackets. I was told however the housing after 1988 was 2" wider. No idea if that's true

57taskforce 10-27-2021 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetk30 (Post 8989045)
NO THERE IS A MAJOR CHANGE

i found this out the hard way 1 time . i had all the parts to go disk from a mid 70's i had with aftermarket kit . i wanted to install on a 96 c3500 truck and the newer with slip on drums and i found out the hard way the spindles are different and the bearings are set a little closer together .

and even in the aftermarket world there is 2 specific kits .

Ahh yes! I may had forgotten that the slip on drums use different hubs and spindles. I knew the later factory disk spindles where shorter and used different bearing spacing than the pressed drum spindles but I had forgot the slip on drums used the shorter spindle too. Thanks for setting it straight! I went thru all this when I put the 01+ 10.5” 14 bolt factory disk setup on my ‘89 square body 14 bolt pressed drum rear axle.