The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Would this be an ignition switch problem? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=820132)

richards72chevy 03-30-2021 07:26 AM

Would this be an ignition switch problem?

Yesterday morning I started my truck and went back inside to finish up getting ready for work.It was idling for about 5 minutes put it in reverse and it died.I restarted drove to work no problems.This morning started it drove it to work noticed that my dome light didn't come on like it usually does when I turn it off it wouldn't restart for the first two times I turned the key switch then my interior and dash lights came on and it fired right up.I am not sure what else it could be besides my ignition switch.I would appreciate if you guys think it could be any thing else.It is 02 silverado with close to 258,000 miles on it.

Palf70Step 03-30-2021 09:03 PM

Re: Would this be an ignition switch problem?

I had a similar issue on my 2005 Silverado. It was the module in the door latch, that goes to security/body model. It wouldn't recognize the Dorr was closed and caused battery to run down or wouldn't allow it to start

richards72chevy 03-30-2021 09:30 PM

Thanks I will have to check that out.My battery isn't running down but I do have the security light.I guess there is also a relay for the starter that can cause the problem I'm having.

hatzie 03-31-2021 09:05 AM

Doesn't crank or doesn't start?

My truck is cranky about cranking. I narrowed it down to the connection from the starter relay to the Crank terminal on the starter. I think it may be the fuse/relay block but I haven't torn into it yet.

richards72chevy 04-01-2021 07:12 AM

It doesn't crank.I had no problems this morning.I will probably check and clean all of my grounds this weekend.That is the cheapest easiest thing to do first.If it still continues I will swap around the relays.

hatzie 04-01-2021 08:43 AM

Swap the DRL and Starter relay. It takes a couple seconds.

richards72chevy 09-20-2021 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8902238)
Swap the DRL and Starter relay. It takes a couple seconds.

Where is the DRL?

hatzie 09-20-2021 12:53 PM

Daytime Running Lights. Any of the ISO 280 relays in the box are good candidates to play swaptronics with.

richards72chevy 09-23-2021 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8973532)
Daytime Running Lights. Any of the ISO 280 relays in the box are good candidates to play swaptronics with.

Thanks I will have to try that if the problem comes back again.

richards72chevy 09-23-2021 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8901811)
Doesn't crank or doesn't start?

My truck is cranky about cranking. I narrowed it down to the connection from the starter relay to the Crank terminal on the starter. I think it may be the fuse/relay block but I haven't torn into it yet.

Unfortunately my truck is doing this now as well.They say the grounds can be an issue on these trucks.Some say the problem is in the starter wearing out.My engine just barely turns over after driving a long distance when I try to restart it.Let it cool down and fires right up.Also on the right side of the engine is a fuel pressure regulator you can unplug the vacuum line going to it if has fuel dripping out it's bad.Mine has no fuel dripping out.

hatzie 09-23-2021 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richards72chevy (Post 8974939)
Unfortunately my truck is doing this now as well.They say the grounds can be an issue on these trucks.Some say the problem is in the starter wearing out.My engine just barely turns over after driving a long distance when I try to restart it.Let it cool down and fires right up.

Check the main ground connections but slow hot crank really sounds like a starter problem.

richards72chevy 09-27-2021 09:27 AM

Took the starter off and took to the local business that rebuilds them.He said let's do a load test on the battery first.I think to myself ok battery is not that old but this guy knows more than I do.I have a bad battery.He said that's what's causing the slow crank.Im not for sure if that could have caused my truck to randomly shut off I forgot to ask him about that.

kev2809 09-29-2021 04:01 PM

to me it sounds like a bad battery...or loose terminals. if that battery is over 2 years old (which is usually right after the warranty) then I wouldn't trust it anyways

richards72chevy 11-13-2021 07:43 AM

Slow crank problem went completely away and the random shutting down hasn't happened again.Crazy thing is I had random slow cranks shortly after putting in that battery.Even on cold mornings it fires right up.I think the battery was under two years old but of course AutoZone didn't have it in it's system.The guy that tested my starter and battery said that battery quality has went to crap over the last year with all battery brand's.

hatzie 11-13-2021 08:43 AM

Sounds like that battery was bad right from the get go.
I've been less than impressed with quality from all of the big three battery outfits (East Penn, Johnson Controls, & Exide) in the last half decade.
I went through three batteries when I replaced the 10 year old Delco battery in my Impala in 2018.
I'm not sure who was making batteries for AC Delco in 2008 but I want more of those. Two new batteries failed in about a week and the third made it five months. I went through the charging system with a fine tooth comb four times and found nothing amiss. Crossing my fingers that this one makes it through its' third winter.
If I have another failure I'm going to consider a building a Maxwell supercapacitor pak and carrying a Lithium Ion jump pak. They're the closest thing we have to Phillip Jose Farmers' batacitor.