The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I like this truck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=811949)

Boog 09-14-2020 10:57 PM

I like this truck

2 Attachment(s)
I've had this pic saved for a couple of years. I don't know who it belongs to but I do like it, a lot. Yes it's a Trazer, a converted blazer. It started as a blazer but now it's a truck. Something about the color and stance just gets me. If I had it I'd drive that truck till the last sundown.
Anyone familiar with this one?

57taskforce 09-15-2020 12:03 AM

Re: I like this truck

I don’t know anything about it but damn it does look good!

RustyBucket 09-15-2020 12:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
THANKS!! Maybe this post will be my inspiration. I've had & enjoyed my Blazer since 2011. Not long after I bought it I found & bought a fiberglass half-top like the one in your post........ and never did anything with it.

Richard 09-15-2020 01:47 AM

Probably still is a Blazer. Most likely has a half top/cab installed as RustBucket mentioned. Agree the Blazers look great with the half tops installed.

68panelman 09-15-2020 08:00 AM

Yep ∆, Blazer with halftop and soft tonneau. I love it, nice bright hugger Orange too

Corts60 09-15-2020 08:06 AM

The woodgrain against the orange makes it pop a l think. Beautiful.

Ol Blue K20 09-15-2020 08:26 AM

Nice! I like it a lot.

Boog 09-15-2020 09:16 AM

Many years ago I did some research on the half cab parts. I found a company in Minnesota made the conversion parts and they were reasonable as I remember. Minnesota Fiberglass something or another. The last time I checked their site I believe they had closed up shop.
Back in the 60's IH Scout and Ferd Bronco both had half cab options from factory and GM did not. I think GM owners missed out.
I know this conversion is not for everyone but some of us think it's just too cool. I agree the orange pops and the woodgrain moldings work great with the color. Now days that truck would no doubt have an LS and all the modern gadgetry but back then I imagine it was still 1st gen powered and on air bags.
Rusty Bucket. You've just got to use that kit. ;)

weq92f 09-15-2020 12:16 PM

Thank You for sharing your pictures. Super good looking Trazer there! Would like to know what that looks like on the inside.

-klb

Boog 09-15-2020 12:21 PM

We would too. ;)
Unfortunately it's not mine.

BRL 09-15-2020 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyBucket (Post 8808295)
THANKS!! Maybe this post will be my inspiration. I've had & enjoyed my Blazer since 2011. Not long after I bought it I found & bought a fiberglass half-top like the one in your post........ and never did anything with it.

Hey I like the way that one looks just like it is! :cool:

67C10Step 09-15-2020 03:25 PM

Oh how I wish I would have picked up one of those 2wd blazers back when they were cheap! On of the best looking convertibles out there.

Boog 09-15-2020 04:59 PM

I thought I had found a 1/2 cab converted blazer just north of here many years ago but upon closer inspection it was actually a pickup cab on a blazer frame and a fleetside bed had been shortened and welded to the cab. It was big time roached and I left it where it was piled. :lol:

special-K 09-15-2020 08:50 PM

I think a shortbed done exactly the same would look just as good. I like Space Coast's blazer better. It is doing what a pickup can't, going topless. Not just a 6" shorter pickup with no seam. I like the Trazer, too. Just sayin'... not all excited about it. Blazers are cool for what they are and trucks are cool for what they are

truckster 09-16-2020 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8808682)
I think a shortbed done exactly the same would look just as good. I like Space Coast's blazer better. It is doing what a pickup can't, going topless. Not just a 6" shorter pickup with no seam. I like the Trazer, too. Just sayin'... not all excited about it. Blazers are cool for what they are and trucks are cool for what they are

I have to agree - what's the point of a Blazer with the top on, unless the snow is coming down pretty hard?

RustyBucket 09-16-2020 03:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The previous owner made this soft half top out of a Bestop soft top. He used the metal inner panel from a pickup to shape it. Takes about 10 min. to assemble. I don't like the way it looks but it's pretty water tight & doesn't flap. Mainly I try to be a fair weather flyer. I took the big hard top off right after I bought it & haven't put in on since.

Boog 09-16-2020 06:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well that's certainly different. You could stow that soft top in the back in case you get caught in a shower sometime.
If I remember right the fiberglass 1/2 top has a metal bulkhead that bolts in and the glass top remains removeable so you can go topless when you want. Is that how yours is?
I found a few pics of other 1/2 top blazers too. I like em. Here is one with white steelies just for special K. ;)

RustyBucket 09-16-2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8809115)
You could stow that soft top in the back in case you get caught in a shower sometime.
If I remember right the fiberglass 1/2 top has a metal bulkhead that bolts in and the glass top remains removeable so you can go topless when you want. Is that how yours is?
. ;)

I used to carry it in the bed but mainly just watch the weather. Luckily I've only been caught 4 or 5 times in a hard rain.. NO FUN, the faster I go the more it soaks the back of my head & the inside of the windshield. Not like a regular convertible. It sucks the spray from behind the truck. I don't have a divider behind the seats & didn't get one when I bought the used fiberglass half top. I don't think the hard bed cover would close over the half top if it was in the bed. The 'glass top weighs 75lbs. or so.

Boog 09-16-2020 08:47 PM

Back draft. :lol:
I imagine you would have to have that bulkhead in order to use the top. I bet it wouldn't be too hard to fab one up though. Would be helpful to have a drawing to go by.

truckster 09-16-2020 10:26 PM

I usually carry a tarp under the seat to cover the Blazer when it's parked if it looks like it might rain. One day my daughter asked me, "Daddy, what do you do if it starts raining when you're driving the Blazer?"

My response: "I get wet."

jocko 09-16-2020 11:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here you go!

truckster 09-16-2020 11:39 PM

Do the green one and the dark yellow one have truck doors on them, or is the weatherstrip different on the 1/2 tops?

Boog 09-17-2020 12:50 AM

I don't know for fact but I believe those two trucks are actually regular pickup cabs with the fleetside beds shortened and welded to the cab to simulate a blazer. Therefore the doors are regular pickup doors. Notice the lower back cab panel. And those tops of course are not removeable.

special-K 09-17-2020 07:08 AM

I like them, too. Just saying a shortbed done the same would look as good. I like the Omaha Orange 4wd. When I had three blazers I wanted to set one up as a smow plow truck. I used to plow using '70 & '71 K/20s and thought a super short rig would be so cool. I envisioned a blazer with half top, painted Chrome Yellow like our state roads trucks. They used to put flat black on the top of the hood and the trucks had black wheels. The guys would paint the bead and lug nuts silver. I'd put K/20 axles under it and put a salt spreader on the back. The tiny bed would be enough room to carry the bags for the spreader. We didn't use salt, we used urea... cow piss pellets :lol:. We did a parking deck that the owner had to resurface due to use of salt, so that was a requirement. Cost more, but that meant charge more.

The idea of going topless sounds great until you think about it raining. You can plan around the weather for your day cruises, but I used to run to the beach to surf and be gone a week or two. Plus in really bad weather, often the case in the Outer Banks, the Blazer took the place of the tent. That's where soft tops became the only way to go for me. I had the one with hardtop and that stayed on permanently.

And I had a brain fart with the 6" shorter comment. K/5s are 11" shorter. I think it's the next generation K/5s grew 6" longer. 6" shorter something, I know that :lol:

truckster 09-17-2020 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8809380)
The idea of going topless sounds great until you think about it raining. You can plan around the weather for your day cruises, but I used to run to the beach to surf and be gone a week or two. Plus in really bad weather, often the case in the Outer Banks, the Blazer took the place of the tent. That's where soft tops became the only way to go for me. I had the one with hardtop and that stayed on permanently.

I understand what you're saying, but I would rather be rained on occasionally than to never be able to run topless.