The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Vega Stinger ad (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=826145)

72c20customcamper 09-23-2021 07:10 PM

Vega Stinger ad

1 Attachment(s)
Came across this the other day

Steeveedee 09-23-2021 07:30 PM

Re: Vega Stinger ad

That's pretty cool! I've never even heard of them before, and I worked for a couple of dealerships...in California. Maybe that's why. I did hear of the Cosworth Vegas, though.

Blue GMC 09-23-2021 07:40 PM

$75 bucks for a turbo charger kit. Just sounds cheap even for back then.

72c20customcamper 09-23-2021 07:54 PM

Just noticed it's an ad by Yenko chevrolet

truckster 09-23-2021 08:20 PM

I owned three Vegas. I would have loved one of those.

Steeveedee 09-23-2021 08:36 PM

I used to buy them with popped engines, fix and flip them. At one time I had 7 of them in the back yard in various stages of dismemberment. The landlord got on me about that. I had one I put a 305 SBC in. It was pretty fast. I also built a panel truck with a GT engine (2 BBL Holley (I think)) and a 3.36 Axle performance axle. It had an automatic, not sure which one. I put a B&M shift kit in it, and it was right quick. The panel truck had sheet metal instead of rear side windows, and no back seat, just a storage space. It raised a lot of eyebrows leaving stoplights. :lol:

4u2nv 09-23-2021 08:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Looks like it came with some nice paint also

CG 09-23-2021 08:50 PM

Yenko had a whole Stinger line. They even did Stinger Corvairs. I have a ton of car magazines from the era, lots of ads and articles in them with Yenko.

Steeveedee 09-23-2021 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4u2nv (Post 8975305)
Looks like it came with some nice paint also

...and some suspension bracing. Vegas had coil springs all around, and that blue one has something visible on the left rear that looks sort of like a traction bar. I know that the one I put a V-8 in got the F41 boxed lower control arms after it buckled the right rear lower control arm on hard acceleration, and that was a bone stock 305 with a 2 barrel carburetor. I expect that low-end torque was higher than what the turbo version put out.

special-K 09-24-2021 05:44 AM

I always thought the first Vegas were good looking.

Ol Blue K20 09-24-2021 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8975478)

Mini Camaro that's why...I had GT wagon with a 327/poweglide. It was a lot of fun!

67C10Step 09-24-2021 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8975505)
Mini Camaro that's why...I had GT wagon with a 327/poweglide. It was a lot of fun!

I always liked the looks of the Vegas. In high school a buddy of mine had a yellow Vega GT. Nothing special, just stock 4 banger and four speed.

Now, another buddy of mine had a 74 Monza coupe with a 327 and four speed. Cragar SS wheels (14" ha!). That car was fun but probably really way too fast for a bunch of teenage boys to have.

72c20customcamper 09-24-2021 08:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8975336)
...and some suspension bracing. Vegas had coil springs all around, and that blue one has something visible on the left rear that looks sort of like a traction bar. I know that the one I put a V-8 in got the F41 boxed lower control arms after it buckled the right rear lower control arm on hard acceleration, and that was a bone stock 305 with a 2 barrel carburetor. I expect that low-end torque was higher than what the turbo version put out.

They engineered things to be just strong enough to handle stock hp . Even their big hp cars if you went to much things break . I know from experience

CG 09-24-2021 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8975478)

I believe they were Motor Trend car of the year when they first came out.

special-K 09-25-2021 06:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 8975708)
I believe they were Motor Trend car of the year when they first came out.

Good to know they agree with me on that. I'll say I lost respect for what Motor Trend says after they voted the new Matador car of the year. Really? That had to be the worst styled confused pieced together looking junk I ever saw. Looks like a team of seven designers worked on it, all assigned a specific area, and they never talked to each other :lol:

72c20customcamper 09-25-2021 08:00 AM

It was a strange design . One of those cars you really liked or hated. The design worked though for Bobby Allison and the Pensky team . As did the redesigned Javelins in Trans Am racing .
https://bangshift.com/general-news/v...-southern-500/

FleetsidePaul 09-25-2021 11:33 AM

Put me in the "Hate it' camp. Those Matador's were about the ugliest cars that AMC ever made and they made some pretty ugly cars. (Think Pacer)

When you look at all the beautifully designed cars that stop you dead in your tracks because they are so stunning and compare it to that mess it makes you wonder what they were smoking.

CG 09-25-2021 12:44 PM

What's a Matador?

Sorry I forgot the little trick on embedding videos

LT7A 09-25-2021 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8975909)
Good to know they agree with me on that. I'll say I lost respect for what Motor Trend says after they voted the new Matador car of the year. Really? That had to be the worst styled confused pieced together looking junk I ever saw. Looks like a team of seven designers worked on it, all assigned a specific area, and they never talked to each other :lol:

Wow, they picked good angles for those pictures. That's the best I've ever seen one of those things look. You can tell they meant it to be sporty. And then they added the puffy landau top... You have to wonder how somebody ever signed off on that. And of all places for wheels mimicking squarebody rallys to end up...

special-K 09-26-2021 07:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8975926)
It was a strange design . One of those cars you really liked or hated. The design worked though for Bobby Allison and the Pensky team . As did the redesigned Javelins in Trans Am racing .
https://bangshift.com/general-news/v...-southern-500/

I thought of you while posting and wondered if I'd hit a tender spot. Looking for pictures I saw plenty of reminders of the track success the car had. Looks don't win a race and they proved that.

I wasn't liking any of the style changes at that point in time. It was the very early '70s when I first began clutching at the cars that were and turning my sights from anything new.

I liked the style before just fine

72c20customcamper 09-26-2021 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8976336)
I thought of you while posting and wondered if I'd hit a tender spot. Looking for pictures I saw plenty of reminders of the track success the car had. Looks don't win a race and they proved that.

I wasn't liking any of the style changes at that point in time. It was the very early '70s when I first began clutching at the cars that were and turning my sights from anything new.

I liked the style before just fine

I dont like the the 74 matador . Now a nice 71 Machine I'll take

special-K 09-26-2021 10:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8975505)

I bet it was!
Attachment 2134514

Back to Vega Stingers. how about a wagon (Camback)

yuccales 09-26-2021 11:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I know this has been posted before, but always fun to see again. Kinda off topic, but do you see what looks like a C-60 front clip way in the back by the Dodge van? Or are these just Sunday morning eyes! :lol:

LT7A 09-26-2021 11:30 AM

Those real cars are crazy. I would have liked to sit in on the meeting where those were originally pitched to management.

truckster 09-26-2021 11:42 AM

The Kammback was a cool marketing idea... even though it wasn't really a Kammback. But I did love the baby Camaro look of the fastback (which was actually more of a true Kammback). I never did like the notchback, though. I thought those were pretty ugly.

Two of my Vegas ran really well - both of them had the GT package with the two-stage Holley (progressive secondaries). Unfortunately, both of them were totaled - one by a little old lady turning right from a left-turn lane, and the other by a head-on from a drunk driver. I wouldn't mind having one of those back today. They weren't exactly drag cars, but they were fun to drive.