The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Not cutting Dash!!! My alternative creation... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=198578)

ChevyDude 05-07-2006 01:46 PM

Not cutting Dash!!! My alternative creation...

After many hours of pulling hair out and staring at my dash...I was cutting it ,..and then I wasn't...then I was...well now for SURE I am not. I have made a fiberglass stereo head unit cowl that will conform to the dash right under the heater controls. It's formed up now and I'm on the way to go get more resin. My 71' has the original uncut dash and was a Radio Delete Truck so my cowl has no antenna hole in it. Just didn't seem right to cut the dash, when nothing else has been cut to put this modern stereo in. Pics...coming soon!

roj2323 05-07-2006 01:51 PM

Re: Not cutting Dash!!! My alternative creation...

congrats on the decicion. post pics when you can.
ondrew

truckdude239 05-07-2006 02:11 PM

:wop:

Chevrolet4x4s 05-07-2006 02:32 PM

Good decision.
Shane

Hay Hauler 05-07-2006 02:41 PM

glad you did not cut it. mine is in the glovebox with a built housing covered to match the interior

ChevyDude 05-07-2006 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckdude239
:wop:

As the Beatles said.....but with sarcasm now...Yeah Yeah Yeah....LOL!!! :agree:

Pics???? OK ....I'll go get the camera!

ChevyDude 05-07-2006 03:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So heres the 1st stage. The piece came from my Yukon console. The console was so big I took the back off of in and this piece is cut from it. It was originally for the rear seat DVD player. So I cut the single DIN area from it . It then needed a top and bottom formed back to it and...yes if you look close I formed the bottom with frozen pizza box cardboard and hot glue. Then 3 layers of resin and fiberglass mat. Still gots to do the top and then sand and bondo filler to a smooth finish, and paint torch red the match. The top will have a small change hold area. More pics as the progress wheels move! :aiiet:

1st pic: as it will sit under dash,
2nd pic: strenghtening the inside creating the bottom
3rd pic: upside down FB and resin bottom

Brainchild 05-07-2006 03:04 PM

I like that idea,though I'm not totally against cutting the dash.Depends on the truck to me.While a hienz like mine doesn't matter,it would be a shame to cut an original unmolested rig.

72armyswbtruck 05-07-2006 08:09 PM

Can't wait to see it finished

kelsfine69 05-07-2006 08:54 PM

Not cutting the dash....you got my vote:metal:

LUV2XCLR8 05-07-2006 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelsfine69
Not cutting the dash....you got my vote:metal:

:agree: :cong:

watermark 05-07-2006 09:24 PM

Good idea not to cut the dash. Im installing an highliner with speakers and a place for my C/D player. Not as unique but alot quicker.

ChevyDude 05-07-2006 09:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys...I really never felt good or comfortable about the idea of cutting the dash see how this truck has never been cut on anywhere. I swear this truck must have been in storage for a long long time, and nothing ever was put in the bed other than leaves. There is not one dent in the bed swb floorboard, truly amazes me!

Anyway here is the progress with fiberglass top and bottom done and bondo-ed up. I ran out of sand paper otherwise the top would be sanded smooth like the bottom is. I'm no bondo expert and probably put too much on, but it will be smooth when I finish sanding, LOL! :b69:

1000000to1 05-07-2006 11:55 PM

Good idea I have the same problem, my truck is also radio delete.:metal:

Lemield 05-08-2006 09:06 AM

I have seen Alex's truck in person and I can verify that it is one of the niceest unmolested trucks ever! The bed is the best original I've ever seen!

Great work Alex....the new radio mount will look sweet! You are getting real good with that fiberglass! :)

ChevyDude 05-08-2006 01:30 PM

Thanks Larry....ya gotta stop by or I gotta get by to your shop/house too!!!
Thanks for the kind words everyone.