The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Shorten a Stepside Box??? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=756616)

SkinnyG 02-07-2018 11:59 PM

Shorten a Stepside Box???

I want to assume it's the same as shortening a fleet side, 12" in front and 8" out back. The wheel bases are the same either way.

But I have a long box stepper, and I don't see 8" behind the back of the fender.

In my exhaustive searching, I found one reference to take 15" out of the front, and 5" out of the back, but I can't corroborate that with any other source.

Can anyone shed light on this?

andyh1956 02-08-2018 12:11 AM

Re: Shorten a Stepside Box???

Is there not a short step around you anywhere to compare to?
If not I have two short steps up on top of one of the tractor sheds & I could measure for you. Both lack fenders so I could measure to the fender mounting holes.

SkinnyG 02-08-2018 01:30 AM

That could work; I would appreciate that.

There is nothing around that I know of. Relatively scarce up here.

Palf70Step 02-08-2018 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Do one slice in the middle of where the fenders mount. Cut out what you need. Redrill a few fender holes, and you should be good. Less chance of issues with just one cut and unless you are looking at it from inside the bed, the cut is pretty much hidden by the stepside fenders.

Althought not your year, you can get the idea from my friends 67 GMC

Keith Seymore 02-08-2018 02:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 8181370)
Do one slice in the middle of where the fenders mount. Cut out what you need. Redrill a few fender holes, and you should be good. Less chance of issues with just one cut and unless you are looking at it from inside the bed, the cut is pretty much hidden by the stepside fenders.

Althought not your year, you can get the idea from my friends 67 GMC

hewittca 02-08-2018 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 8181541)

agreed! That is trick right there. I would assume that's a straight 20" removed from that point. The only part I can see that needs close attention is making sure you redrill the fender holes in the correct spot. If you move the holes in front of the cut forward 12", and the holes behind the cut rearward 8" that should do it.

Palf70Step 02-08-2018 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 8181370)

Although not your year, you can get the idea from my friends 67 GMC

BTW, measure about halfway in the step fender. Take the section you are going to cut from there towards the front. BTW, you will need new steps from the shortbed truck. Double check you step fitment to the fenders before you weld up it up fully.

Once you have the bed side welded up, bolt the fenders back onto the stock holes for the back half, mark thru the fenders to make new holes on the front half.

SkinnyG 02-08-2018 11:03 PM

There is not 8" between the back of the fender and the rear box section. There's a tick over 6". I can't just move the rear holes 8" back.

I hear what you're saying about just sectioning the box, but that isn't how I want to go about it. Truly, I want to bob the ends.

hewittca 02-09-2018 09:20 AM

I remember seeing somewhere that on the 60-66 fleetsides, the shortbed wheel opening is 2 inches shorter than on the longbed. I wonder if the shortbed step fenders are also 2 inches shorter than the longbed ones, although I can't image why they'd go through the trouble of making two different step fenders. If that is the case, you may have to section out 2" from your fender as well.

The Rocknrod 02-09-2018 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hewittca (Post 8182084)
I remember seeing somewhere that on the 60-66 fleetsides, the shortbed wheel opening is 2 inches shorter than on the longbed. I wonder if the shortbed step fenders are also 2 inches shorter than the longbed ones, although I can't image why they'd go through the trouble of making two different step fenders. If that is the case, you may have to section out 2" from your fender as well.

I think that is only the steps, not the fenders.

mongocanfly 02-09-2018 02:02 PM

Bill. ..that's a pretty slick shortening job he did...just wondering are there not fender reccesses stamped in the bed sides ?...my 53 bed is smooth side but my 55 has a stamped fender reccess as does my IH....I just wondered how many yrs later they kept the reccess...

skinny..you can look thru my IH build and see what I had to do to shorten my bed...close to the same concept...i removed 12 front and 4 rear...I'm not sure why Bills suggestion wouldn't work for you...

Palf70Step 02-09-2018 04:49 PM

There is no recess for the 67 thru 87 years, I am not sure about the early years, but I believe they are flat also. There is a bit of trimming around the axle area that will need to be done also, but it is way easier than they way you have to do it on a fleetside.

Whoever asked, no there is no difference in the wheel openings between the SWB and LWB step fenders. The only thing that is differenent is the cutout for the spare (if you have a fender with one).

SkinnyG 02-09-2018 10:23 PM

Pouring through pictures all over the web, and it -looks- like a long step fender is a bit rearward of the wheel centerline, whereas the short step fender is a bit forward of the wheel centerline.

hewittca 02-09-2018 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 8182672)
Pouring through pictures all over the web, and it -looks- like a long step fender is a bit rearward of the wheel centerline, whereas the short step fender is a bit forward of the wheel centerline.

Yeah, I was looking at photos too and noticed that too. If you could get the dimensions of the side steps for a shortbed and longbed then you'd be able to for sure figure out where the fender goes. I don't think there's any doubt that the frame is 12" shorter in front and 8" shorter in the rear.

SkinnyG 02-10-2018 01:33 AM

Does anyone on here have a tape measure and a short/step and can just measure the location of the fender from the front?

andyh1956 02-10-2018 11:14 AM

I have both long step w/ fenders & short step wo/ fenders. I can measure today when it stops raining.
If you was closer I'd let you have one of mine cheap, they're a dime a dozen around here.

andyh1956 02-11-2018 06:13 PM

Ok here is what I got for you.
Measurements taken from the front panel to front / lower most fender bolt in front & from end of rear bedside / floor to rear / lower most fender bolt in rear.
Long bed-
Front- 28.5"
Rear- 12"

Short Bed-
Front- 14"
Rear- 6.5"

hewittca 02-11-2018 06:26 PM

Hmmm, that's interesting. Based on those measurements it really does look like the longbed has the fender positioned 2" further back than on the shortbed.

SkinnyG 02-12-2018 12:21 PM

Very cool, thank you!

So it -looks- like the front is cut down 14.5" and the rear is cut down 5.5"

I'll compare your long bed measurements to mine when I'm back at work tomorrow.

Thank you so much!

andyh1956 02-12-2018 02:05 PM

By the way these measurements were taken from inside the bed.

SkinnyG 01-16-2021 06:49 PM

If anyone ends up coming here via a Google search, the job is done and it looks awesome!

I did take 14.5" out of the front and 5.5" out of the back, cutting the bedsides in the middle of the stake pocket box flange that spot welds to the bed side. Also took 14.5" out of the step.

https://www.gwellwood.com/wordpress/...8s-672x377.jpg

Thank y'all so much for the help!

mongocanfly 01-16-2021 11:00 PM

That turned out great..!

SCOTI 01-19-2021 10:34 AM

And, AND... A fitting answer/follow-up info to this 2+ year old thread. Job was well done IMHO.

cgrocen 01-19-2021 12:16 PM

Thank you for the tutorial. Very well done!

kitsbeach 10-23-2021 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyG (Post 8865126)
If anyone ends up coming here via a Google search, the job is done and it looks awesome!

I did take 14.5" out of the front and 5.5" out of the back, cutting the bedsides in the middle of the stake pocket box flange that spot welds to the bed side. Also took 14.5" out of the step.

https://www.gwellwood.com/wordpress/...8s-672x377.jpg

Thank y'all so much for the help!

Nicely done…and I love the Canadian Tire references (a reality for us folks up here).
Posted via Mobile Device