The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   cutting the dash (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=184013)

chevymaz 12-27-2005 03:26 PM

cutting the dash

I know there are different opinions about cutting the dash for a newer type radio and I know this has been discussed numerous times. However I would like to know does it truly effect the value and if so how much or is it just a preference thing. Also is this any different then relocating the fuel tank from behind the seat to under the bed? I cut my dash after struggling with my inner self for several days now I wonder if I screwed up. Has anyone ever repaired these cutouts with any type of success without replacing the entire dash? On another note I had the PO who is the son of the original owner call me today and ask if I wanted the protecto plate and the original radio...of course I said "HELL YES"

LawMan02 12-27-2005 03:44 PM

Re: cutting the dash

I'm also debating whether to cut the dash or not. I've searched for a original radio but no luck. Let me know if you want to get rid of the radio that you're getting. Randy

Putter 12-27-2005 03:57 PM

LawMan02,
I have an original radio (spare) that you can have for the cost of shipping. I used to Live in St. Francisville. I worked at Angola for a while. Just PM me is you want the radio.

jay_shy 12-27-2005 03:58 PM

The dash is cut in my truck(by po). However I have the center portion from an uncut dash if I want to return to original. I would have to find an AM/FM to return to original. Doubt that will happen because these things are not cheap.

Jason

Mongo 12-27-2005 04:41 PM

I passed on three trucks that had the dash cut, there are newer radios that fit an uncut das that work and sound great. I would leave it alone. JMO

krue 12-27-2005 04:43 PM

It's not a deal breaker to me, but I would rather it not be cut.

Guardrail 12-27-2005 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow, I've been going back and forth in my head about this subject since aquiring my truck. As a bonified GM muscle car nut, I have NEVER cut a dash on any car I've ever owned. I tend to fall in love with cars that are more stock than hot rodded but each one has required at least some modification to get it just like I want it. I kinda like the "period correct" thing with some vehicle's, but lately I've been wanting some better tunes.

I love my truck a lot and for a couple of months now I use it every day. I've shuttled the kids around in it, hauled stuff to the dumps, hauled bags of "pothole patch", pulled my daughter's horse trailer, and used it for grocery shopping. All these things are things I never do with a Chevelle or Camaro, and that makes me realize that I'm using this truck as a tool to get stuff done. And I am willing to modify a tool to make it easier to use. Hence, I have decided to cut the dash of this fine old truck and install a DIN CD player that is Sirius capable. I've settled on one that has two big knobs and "sorta" reminds me of an old style GM radio. What do you guy's think of my decision?

Striker169 12-27-2005 06:02 PM

that radio does kinda remind me of the old style GM one heh I have a cut dash done by the guy I bought the cab from, I had an uncut one in my old one but I junked that and didnt think about the dash :doh: I would perfer having and uncut dash IMO but its not a deal braker.

chevymaz 12-27-2005 06:14 PM

Do those of you who refuse to cut the dash also refuse to relocate your gas tanks, lower your truck, or other major modification?

matthufham 12-27-2005 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevymaz
Do those of you who refuse to cut the dash also refuse to relocate your gas tanks, lower your truck, or other major modification?

yes!

and rick, that is one nice head unit! does the display show color, or is it black and white?

Palf70Step 12-27-2005 06:29 PM

It is your truck do what you feel comfortable with. I went to the trouble of repairing the dash in my 70's cab to get it back to normal or at least close to it, but if I decide down the line that I want to go with a DIN style CD unit, I'll cut er. If you just want radio, to me there are way to many options that will fit into the stock area of dash where you won't need to cut. The big problem for cutting is decent speakers and what you do with them.

BowTieMan 12-27-2005 06:32 PM

The way I see it is it's my truck so I will make it the way I wan't and not worry about what the next owner will want because I am not selling it for a long time.

vtblazer 12-27-2005 06:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Stock is stock and cut is not stock.

Maybe not so much a deal breaker as a bargining tool. ;)

All depends on what your looking for and the criteria your working within.

A dash can be repaired once cut if done properly and as long as the initial cut was clean.

blazerparts 12-27-2005 06:59 PM

Personally, I prefer an uncut dash. If I am looking to buy a truck and see a cut dash, I wonder what else has been hacked. There are alternatives with audio units that fit without modification to the dash, or in my case I mounted them in the glove box. So for me, a cut dash sends up a red flag.

crazyred 12-27-2005 07:15 PM

Hey that’s a good fix vtblazer!!! The PO cut up the dash on my truck and I was thinking the only way to fix that would be to find good dash at the scrap yard and cut it out under the dash pad. That way, my crapy welding skills will be hidden by the dash pad when I put it all back together. At least I think that would work.

avejoe 12-27-2005 08:40 PM

You cut the dash and NOW you want the original radio? :confused:

vtblazer 12-27-2005 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyred
The PO cut up the dash on my truck and I was thinking the only way to fix that would be to find good dash at the scrap yard and cut it out under the dash pad.

One word of caution about doing it that way is this:
There is a metal strip spot welded onto the underside of the dash that are very hard to get off "cleanly" meaning not messing up the dash section your wanting to save (the one in your truck) is hard to do.
It's hard to explain but I started in that direction recently and decided not to do it because of those spot welds.

vtblazer 12-27-2005 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avejoe
You cut the dash and NOW you want the original radio? :confused:

Might I suggest going easy here. :hmm:

farside847 12-27-2005 09:02 PM

Quote:

Yup :)

It was a wrench to install bucket seats or not, even though it was an original option...

Frizzle Fry 12-27-2005 09:38 PM

Quote:

I think an original radio in the dash with a hidden system is slick. It's not about factory correctness for me, I just like the classic look with modern audio skills. I'm doin other mods, just prefer dash left alone . Whatever you put in there after cutting will eventually be dated. The original radio will never stop being classy.

BubbaGreen 12-27-2005 10:47 PM

Guess it all comes down to your intentions....I didnt want the dash cut in my truck (am planning to use a AM/FM original radio)...but I had no problems relocating the gastank and cutting into the fleetside fender to do so. I really dont plan to sell this truck anytime soon, so i could careless if I damaged the resale value, but I just couldnt take the idea of 20+ gallons of gas within inches of me. I may end up getting a better stereo system and if so, will most likely be of a remote type thing and the stock radio will be a back up/decoy. Anything can be fixed with either time/money -or- both!!!!
HAVE FUN, in the end, that's what it's all about.

Brad 12-27-2005 11:03 PM

My Camaro, bought from the little old lady next door, is unmolested and will remain that way until the day I die!

My truck was a pile when I bought it and I have absolutely no qualms about hacking it up, lol!

I guess I'm Jeckyl & Hyde on this issue!

skeeter288 12-27-2005 11:19 PM

personally, i'm still running a shaft mount radio, but i've taken the ash tray out
and replaced with an equalizer/booster.cutting the dash dousn't make much diff to me.i probably will when my radio goes up.

as far as the gas tank? you can't be doused with gasoline if you arre in an accident with the tank under the bed.however, this is just my opinion.

mocwon 12-27-2005 11:37 PM

I cut mine for the DIN size unit. Much more convenient and easier to get to than the glove box mounting. Done correctly, it does not detract from the appearance but that's obviously just my opinion. Newer DIN style radio/CD combos are far superior in performance than any shaft mount stereo ever available. I also lowered mine, relocated the gas tank, put a fuel door in the bedside, welded up the antenna hole and made other modifications too numerous to count.

Now, my 1970 Mach 1, was restored with only bolt on options and no cutting other than the Shelby upper control arm relocation to improve handling.

Mudder 12-28-2005 12:24 AM

I'm all for cutting!!!!!!!! :)