The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   shackle flip question. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645859)

TRav88 10-09-2014 12:37 AM

shackle flip question.

So, question on a shackle flip. If I go ahead and do the rear shackle flip do I need to get new springs, if so what size?

obijuan 10-09-2014 09:59 AM

Re: shackle flip question.

i dont know. do you need new rear springs? what size? only you can answer those questions.

Yukon Jack 10-09-2014 12:13 PM

A shackle flip can be used with your existing rear springs. Be aware it will move the axle slightly forward in the wheel well. You can counter-act that to some extent with a Zero-Rate block from Offroad Design.

jeffahart 10-09-2014 12:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Yes you can use same springs. But you may need to reroute your exhaust. I had to cut mine off. I have dual. As said order the zero rate leaf from ORD.

I just installed an ORD flip for 4". Nice setup!

Here's a tip on getting the hanger/mount off after you grind the rivets off. Take a long steel tooth pick like shown and run it along the frame as hard as you can wedging it against the frame and hanger. It's like swinging a 15lb sledge with massive leverage. A couple of good whacks and the it will pop right off.

Here I edit to include pick of exhaust. Once flipped the end of the spring drops to right where the exhaust is. And pic of zero rate you should get.

dieseldawg142 10-09-2014 05:22 PM

as said, it's up to you wether you want to change them. i kept the stock 4000lb springs on my 1 ton when i added my flips. besides exhaust, you will most likely have to do something with your e-brake cables too, had to lower the brackets. i found on a long box with flips, the wheel sits pretty much center (maybe cause i have bushwacker cut-outs, & dont notice)

72 Copper C-10 10-10-2014 01:54 AM

I have a ORD 4" schakle flip on my truck and it works very nicely! I did have my main leaf in my spring pack redone. I moved the axle back an inch with the new main leaf, but other wise it's a stock spring.

TRav88 10-10-2014 03:56 PM

Thanks for all the info so far guys. I don't need to get new springs just wondering if I would have to get new ones to maintain the height my rig is at.

No exhaust problems cause I don't have an exhaust system built yet.

10-4 on the axle moving forward.

Yukon Jack 10-10-2014 05:53 PM

I presume you're doing the shackle flip to gain lift. Is that incorrect?

TRav88 11-05-2014 04:13 AM

Well I have blocks in the rear right now so I just want to maintain the height I'm at. Looks like 5 or 6 inch blocks. I'll get a pic on here so you know what I'm dealing with.