The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Inner fender install on 72 C20 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=734003)

Nomadicflyer 03-28-2017 08:18 PM

Inner fender install on 72 C20

Hello, All

I spent about half an hour looking for an answer to my current challenge, couldn't find any pics or a good description here. Hopefully someone can help me out. My apologies if this has been answered recently.

I'm installing the inner fenders on the 72 C20. I've brought the inner fender up and into the outer fender, attached the bolts that face straight up into the fender. I've got one or two in along the front of the wheel arch, but nothing else wants to line up. Do I need to work the fender in differently? The tub just comes up into the fender from below, right?

FWIW, I have the large bolt with the crazy big washer on it. I see where it attaches, through the square hole and into the firewall channel. I have a new bolt kit, with j nuts and bolts. I've read about shims, but not sure where they go or how to determine what's needed. I think I have everything else I need, except a little experience.

Thanks!

71BUCKET 03-28-2017 08:21 PM

Re: Inner fender install on 72 C20

I bought aftermarket Inners. Got aftermarket fenders as part of a part lot I bought. Pass inner fit perfectly, driver inner fender what a pain in the ass! Idk what the deal is but if pulled, pushed, opened holes and gone bananas. Still working on getting it to fit easy. Ugh

Nomadicflyer 03-28-2017 08:35 PM

Bummer about the drivers side. Nice to know I have that to look forward to! I'm still on the passenger side. Wishing you the best of luck.

71, which side gets the j clips? The outer fender, yeah? That clues me into whether I'm on the right track, or if I need to pull these out and start over.....

Nomadicflyer 03-28-2017 10:58 PM

I got it. With the proper application of force and leverage, and threat of firepower, the job is done.

Thanks

GR8-68 03-29-2017 02:21 AM

Sounds like I have something to look forward too :smoke:

71BUCKET 03-29-2017 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomadicflyer (Post 7899680)
I got it. With the proper application of force and leverage, and threat of firepower, the job is done.

Thanks

Cool, my bad not getting back to you sooner.

To add I did check the driver inner fender to a good original fender I had and it was not a perfect line up there either. Idk if the tooling is wore out or it was stamped on a Monday morning.

Andy4639 03-29-2017 07:46 AM

Putting the inner fenders in is a not a simple job if the outer fender is in place.
The fender will be tight and not wanting to flex any. Using a long punch are pin will help much in getting the holes lined up. The fender has a tendency of tilting in at the top so the holes don't line up well.

I always try to get the inner most holes started first then the ones along the outer lip of the fender. That big bolt with large washer is one of the first ones I install.
:chevy:

Ken B 03-31-2017 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomadicflyer (Post 7899680)

Thanks

Force, leverage and fire power threats usually works for me!

Ultrasummer 03-27-2021 08:00 PM

Here's what worked for me. Remove tire. Place front end on jack stands. Laying on your back under the hub, put your feet up in the air , and under the inner fender. Your legs give you more leverage to push it up and adjust from side to side. Then have a buddy tell you which way to go with it. Then he can put a bolt in here and there enough where you can let go.
Having said all that, the problem I ran into was manual steering to power steering. The part where you put the foot long metal bar in place with 2 bolts on each end.....is in direct conflict with the hoses of the new power steering pump. I cut away part of the inner fender and then it worked great.

pjmoreland 03-28-2021 01:26 AM

The thing I struggled with the most was the bolt that goes through the passenger side inner fender and threads into the battery support. I ended up loosening all of the bolts that attach the battery support to the radiator support.

Richard 03-28-2021 01:54 AM

Funky looking shims go between inner fender and cab. Can require one or two.

Richard2112 03-28-2021 08:35 AM

I have found that the inner fender wells are much more compliant if each bolt is only just started and they're all in place before snugging any one of them. Even the ones that bolt to the frame. Of course, it still requires some prying and an alignment tool of some sort but it is far easier done.