The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Best Conversions and Modifications (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=679330)

tigerburns 08-13-2015 05:19 PM

Best Conversions and Modifications

Ok folks...
I am a longtime Chevy truck lover, a short-time C10 owner :chevy:, and a first-time poster to this forum. :ben:
I have read lots great threads about possible conversions/modifications/upgrades that can or should be done to your truck. What I want to know is which ones do you consider to be the best? What modification have you done that you wish you had done sooner? For you guys who work on one build after another, what modification(s) do you consider “have-to”? What upgrade offers the best “bang for the buck”? What is the low hanging fruit that should be plucked first?
I currently have a ’65 short fleet that has been lowered and had a 350 conversion. It is an old restoration that needs some updating both aesthetically and mechanically. The body and chassis are in very good shape with very little rust and no rot. The truck has also been recently rewired.
I have to keep reminding myself that this is meant to be a marathon and not a sprint, but I can’t wait to get started. So what should I start with? :bann:

vin63 08-13-2015 05:30 PM

Re: Best Conversions and Modifications

Welcome! For me, it's front disc brakes and a three- or four-point driver restraint/seat belt system.

TJ's Chevy 08-13-2015 05:37 PM

Start with ALL the Mechanical 1st. Get the engine running good and make sure its worthy of a good tune up. Check the radiator fluid and make sure there's no rust in the system and preferably flush the system out. Check your fuel line and the tank to make sure there's not a bunch of rust and crap in there. Then move to the tranny... weather its an auto or manual.. check the fluid levels and change them if needed and make sure it shifts fine. Then move to the rear axle and inspect it and make sure the gear oil is up to level and not full of water. I'd also check the front suspension(upper lower ball joints ect) for wear and tear and grease them. Then check your brake master cylinder and make sure it will hold foot pressure and the fluid is to the top. Then drive it! See how she runs...do a burnout or two and go from there. So here's a sum up:
1st. Make sure its mechanically sound.
2nd. Make sure you have a good drive train.
3rd. Make sure your electrical is all working properly.
If all that is fine....then I would move to the body. Unless I was doing a frame off restoration then I would tear it down and put a crate engine in it. lol

pwrbrkpadguy 08-13-2015 05:43 PM

Front sway bar, HEI dizzy, volt meter upgrade.

tigerburns 08-13-2015 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vin63 (Post 7272941)
Welcome! For me, it's front disc brakes and a three- or four-point driver restraint/seat belt system.

Thanks!
Yeah, I need to do the belts. That's the first question the wife asked. HA! :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ's Chevy (Post 7272947)
1st. Make sure its mechanically sound.
2nd. Make sure you have a good drive train.
3rd. Make sure your electrical is all working properly.
If all that is fine....then I would move to the body. Unless I was doing a frame off restoration then I would tear it down and put a crate engine in it. lol

Good advice. The engine IS a new 350 with less than 1000 miles on it. Have docs to prove it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwrbrkpadguy (Post 7272952)
Front sway bar, HEI dizzy, volt meter upgrade.

Why the HEI distributor? ...just curious...

TJ's Chevy 08-13-2015 05:57 PM

HEI is better than points and usually lasts longer. Also looks cooler. ;)

joe dirt 08-13-2015 06:09 PM

id say the first thing that needs to be done is post up some pictures so we can see :metal:

siggyfreud 08-13-2015 06:29 PM

I'm going to guess front disc brakes, which I have done, but haven't driven on yet :). As far as mods I have done and driven . . . fuel injection + overdrive. Really enjoyed the benefits of going from a carb to multiport fuel injection, combined with getting an overdrive gear (Th-350 to 700r4).

BR3W CITY 08-13-2015 07:17 PM

/ LS motor

tigerburns 08-13-2015 09:32 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe dirt (Post 7272973)
id say the first thing that needs to be done is post up some pictures so we can see :metal:

You're right...here she is.

MikeN 08-13-2015 10:01 PM

That's easy...power steering.

Jim53066 08-13-2015 10:08 PM

Yup, Easy one.

Power brakes,
power steering,
then drive the heck out of it as is.

Jim

markeb01 08-13-2015 11:49 PM

Power steering and power disc brakes, at least on the front. HEI ignition is simple and easy. I'd stop there and see what else needs to be done.

Captainfab 08-14-2015 12:43 AM

I agree....nice looking truck :thumbs: and welcome to the forum :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 7273382)
Power steering and power disc brakes, at least on the front. HEI ignition is simple and easy. I'd stop there and see what else needs to be done.

PGSigns 08-14-2015 06:31 AM

Power front disc brakes, power steering and seat belts. Nice truck.
Jimmy

tigerburns 08-14-2015 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeN (Post 7273232)
That's easy...power steering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim53066 (Post 7273247)
Yup, Easy one.
Power brakes,
power steering,
then drive the heck out of it as is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 7273382)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGSigns (Post 7273542)
Jimmy

Hmmm...I seem to be sensing a theme. Thanks guys for the advice and compliments.

Clyde65 08-14-2015 08:47 AM

That looks just like mine!!!! maybe they are distant relatives???

I have to agree with these fellas, power dics brakes, power steering to start.

cooperhw 08-14-2015 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGSigns (Post 7273542)
Jimmy

^^^What Jimmy said^^^