The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   The Blue Goose (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=317684)

oldblue1968chevy 02-28-2010 10:07 PM

Re: "Rice Rocket'

edit, arms are still wet, they look more flat when dry. I know i still need to touch up some spots, notice the rustyish bare metal. I dunno if it matters which way the bushing goes. Looks like it doesnt matter but who knows, anyone?

Also, my buddy got me intereested in the 53 belair again, put the batt. on trickel charge, dad thought it was gettin' hot and parked it. May drive it to school a day or 2 while my trucks down. The chicks like the old truck/possibly car.

Smallz72project 03-01-2010 03:12 AM

Looks great!! you are making awesome progress. What kind of compressor are you using for the blasting? And yes sir those bushing can go in either way, just make sure that they are evenly pressed in. Keep up the progress man, she'll be cherry soon enough.

oldblue1968chevy 03-01-2010 09:37 PM

there evenly pressed in! thanks for answeing my ?

progress haha! 8 gal. cambell hausfield.

Ok, what I got done today: Got home got truck ready for blasting. Is it ok to blast brake lines? taped up my exhaust holes and taped over the chrome tips covered end of my brake line and hooked truck to tractor front end loader and pulled it in the field to blast (soon as we get nice weather). Well after thats done I start the 53. starts right up. but has a rackety noise. pull valve cover and find a bent pushrod. well what can cause this (ordered 12 for a 235I6 be here wed.). but what can cause this (trying to tell dad he needs a 350 dropped in).

threeonthetree 03-01-2010 11:59 PM

bent pushrod hmmm..
idk what could have caused it maybe to tight of rockers.. idk

Do the Chicks Dig Your Truck? haha

i wonder what there gonna think of mine.

i bet any chick would dig that 53 haha i wish i had a neat old car like that.

oldblue1968chevy 03-02-2010 09:41 PM

its not mine its dads, I get a few complements, no boys say they like it but girls + it. must be the blue..

the car is dads, I got WAY to many projects going. 1-my truck 2-dads car now 3-just picked up another atv today (currently 1 on my list because its easy) then my truck then last but not least the 53

GMC91 03-02-2010 10:14 PM

Yeah Im blasting everything on my 86, I scrape it, wire brush it, then sand blast it. Works pretty good. And since Im using Chasis Saver, I can paint it right over the sand blasted metal.

oldblue1968chevy 03-02-2010 10:16 PM

sweet what do you pay for sand and where ya gettin it at? are ya filtering it? and how

Wideopenracing15 03-02-2010 11:44 PM

Nice work!
I know that feeling of too many projects. I have my truck, a parts truck to strip, 2 quads to fix, a dirt bIke to put together, I race karts, oh and another quad that needs a chain!

What of quad you pick up?

GMC91 03-03-2010 12:24 AM

I just buy the play sand outta Lowes, I brought a screen filter thing outta wal mart thats spose to be used for cooking, ya know, the kinda ppl use to drain grease outta meat. Anyway its perfect for letting the sand through and keeps the bigger peebles and stuff out. Thats pretty much it, my only problem is I cant dry my sand out so it clogs up. But if you can keep it all dry, it will work like a charm.

oldblue1968chevy 03-03-2010 05:24 PM

hmm I bought a window screen lookin stuff. wonder if its same size..

my sand is in a wheelbarrow in the barn covered with a tarp, gonna throw it bakc on the tarp let it try filter it and run it thru the balster..

wideopen, usually just ol cheep utility Hondas, this ones a 98 300 fourtrax, neeed wheel bearings a cleanup/tuneup. what kinds of stuff ya got?

Wideopenracing15 03-03-2010 08:59 PM

87 suzuki lt 80- all the fun stuff; big bore, holeshot tires (pit bike)
97 yamaha warrior- bored and stroked to a 437, port polish, razr tires
03 honda 300ex - pretty much stock besides tires. I think its the same as the fourtrax but I cant really remember what they look like.

dirt bike is like a 73 or something, it was my dads first bike.

oldblue1968chevy 03-03-2010 09:06 PM

300ex is the 'racing' type, ive got the 300 utility wiht racks etc. slower and looks like somethign your grandpaw would own.

so did you ever do your disc brake upgrade?
Supposed to be 60 degrees this weekend so I plan on changing oil in compressor and blasting sat. am early till i finish (I hope) my truck is sitting in the yard waiting in the cold snow for me

Wideopenracing15 03-03-2010 09:09 PM

My disc break upgrade? No, today was like the warmest day of the year with a whopping 38 degrees! Felt pretty warm but still cold :lol: I'm actually trying to update my thread right now. I have like 2 pictures.

threeonthetree 03-05-2010 10:17 AM

Hows the frame coming along?
lets see some pics of your truck sitting out in the field and your sandblasting set up.

straitnate14 03-05-2010 12:25 PM

It's almost cheaper here to have the blasting done by a shop, I pay 75 an hour and the blaster they use takes up a building. In an hour I got my frame, trailing arms, and crossmeber done.

Hubscrub 03-05-2010 01:49 PM

:agree: i payed $160 to get my frame,front and rear suspension blasted, and they even would paint it if i wanted them to don't know how much $ but i did all that and a whole lot better than home blastin;)

oldblue1968chevy 03-05-2010 05:31 PM

I would've rather paid someone to do it honestly. But im hard headed and bought a bunch of sand and already had a blaster what the heck. Going 4wheelin tonite on my latest project lets hope nothing brakes..gonna wake up early tom. AM and blast I wanna finish 60* outside! I'll try to get pics. Man 1 hr to do all that! Took me like 3 hrs to do my trailing arms (stop let compressor cool, refill with sand etc). Id gladly pay 100 or so and have it done. too late! see yall im going outside to get ready for tonite and set up for tom. blasting!

oldblue1968chevy 03-06-2010 08:36 PM

OK, FRIDAY NITE, RODE WHEELERS TILL 130 Am, went to bed when i got home (tired had fun). Woke up 830 ate went outside blasted my 2 bags i had left, tried filtering didnt work went to town bought 7 100lbs. bags @ 10 bucks each (yikes). went home blasted frame from 130-dark. just got inside and outa the shower got pics but wont show em till later im going to get some paint on the frame YEAHHHHHH BUDDDYYYY IM EXCITEDDDD PICTURES LATER IM WOOPED! i HAD SAND PLACES SAND SHOULDNT BE!

threeonthetree 03-06-2010 10:15 PM

pics?!???!&!?

oldblue1968chevy 03-06-2010 10:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Gosh chill! lol Im covered in paint lol. It looks good I like it alot. Gonna put a few more coats on frame/trailing arms then install em. blast rearend and some brackets, hang my shocks paint rearend and make a filler hose!! im excited heres pics I painted in the shop with no open doors my head kinda feels funny :smoke:

sourkraut 03-06-2010 10:45 PM

nice work, glad to see you stayed away from the rice!

oldblue1968chevy 03-06-2010 10:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
some cool photograpy, sory pictures are no good. I used cell phone. Didnt wanna hunt batterys and a digital camera..I think it broke anyways.

oldblue1968chevy 03-06-2010 11:02 PM

rice? Oh and if someone can change my build thread to 'bluegoose' id apreciate it. I made this when I first got the truck and was young and dumb. My ignorant buddy LOL I guess was used to being around ricers and called my truck rice rocket:chevy:

but its now 'bluegoose' 'goose' etc. i got discouraged today, was blasting and said to myself this is taking forever why'm i making it prety its an old truck (was laying upside down blasting botom end trying to get it bare perfect meteal). Well I was just like. 'ima sit in a chair and blast the sides because I can :) well I started having fun (waht im supposed to be doin) and it got better. I was ready to burn the goose:devil:

Hopefully i'll be mounting arms/gas tank. tom. nite at the earlyiest.

threeonthetree 03-07-2010 12:05 PM

Looks really good bud!
Keep up the good work, giving me some motivation.
Can't wait for you to reasemble errything
Ricer!!!!

oldblue1968chevy 03-07-2010 12:41 PM

You cant wait either! Your truck gives me rust restoration motivation! Im building a motor/good suspension then bodywork! got around to pulling that 350yet?